does sc2 tournaments test for performance enh

General Discussion
enhancing drugs?

If not, i wonder how many pro's have used an illegal substance to gain an edge?

What could they use to gain an edge?

I know a lot of pro's will have an energy drink, but that's obviously legal (still a drug though!)

lol at a pro thinking since sc2 is an esport, that they should use steroids since that's what pro's in sports do.

comes in with huge forearms, tiny body, big fingers lol.
bump, cause this is important.
I think I saw something a while back about some pros using Ritalin (Or something like that?) to enhance their focus. Don't know if it was legit or not. Kinda doubt it.

I also doubt they do test for anything. But it really depends on whether or not something will enhance them and how much it does. Plenty of energy drinks' claims about enhancing focus aren't FDA evaluated statements.
Some pro's do use anxiety medication to help calm their nerves. So that they don't let emotions affect their play in stressful tournament settings.

Others have been known to take drugs to enhance focus and concentration, such as Adderall. Or they'll take meds like modafinil to help fight fatigue or jet lag.

I don't see why it's an issue. None of these things will win you the GSL.
this is a video game... PEDs... really... sigh
LOL I was going to make a thread about this and i dont think they do a drug test.
Please do not understate the importance of the pros putting in literally hours upon hours of practice every single day with cheap accusations of drugs.
06/23/2012 07:20 PMPosted by FinalBoss
I know a lot of pro's will have an energy drink, but that's obviously legal (still a drug though!)

The funny thing is, for those who do use these, they'd probably perform better without them.

Energy drinks tend to make people twitchy and shaky more than anything else.
Apparently people don't realize that a lot of people will do anything for money :)
Wouldn't surprise me if people took small amounts of amphetamines or similar drugs to help with concentration and alertness to improve their SC2 game. Would it be a huge edge? Hardly.
enhancing drugs?

If not, i wonder how many pro's have used an illegal substance to gain an edge?

What could they use to gain an edge?

lol at a pro thinking since sc2 is an esport, that they should use steroids since that's what pro's in sports do.

comes in with huge forearms, tiny body, big fingers lol.

LOL coz energy drink and steroids will win you games.
I'd expect drugs like Adderall are the PEDs of eSports, absolutely.

I've heard a lot of discussions about students using them for crash study sessions. Supposedly it helps you focus.

I've also heard that the same kinds of drugs are becoming more popular in certain sports such as baseball. Even steroid are actually supposed to help reaction time, which may have an application, but I doubt any gaming pros go for it.

On the one hand testing for Adderall and such might help keep things fair and to allow those who wish not to abuse such drugs to remain competitive and healthy.

On the other hand, these drugs aren't known to have much in the way of a detrimental health effect, and they are prescribed pretty readily, so there's likely a lot of legitimate use of them among pros too. These factors together are why I'd say it's unlikely to become an issue, in eSports or any sport, really.

I'd say it's along the lines of painkiller abuse in sports right now. Common, probably not good, but nearly impossible to police since the drugs have legitimate applications. It really comes down to personal accountability for your health and decisions.
Caffeine is "legal," but in combat sports, you have a limit to what you can have in your bloodstream.

If a UFC fight drank a whole can of Monster before a fight, he would be disqualified. One small cup of coffee for that caffeine boost.

You can also get a legitimate prescription for steroids or !@#$%^-*!, but you can get an exemption from most athletic commissions for the roids, but @#$%^-*!@ is a banned substance.

You can laugh that it's "just a video game," but you're talking about a tournament like IPL where there's $40k on the line, that's not just a game.
Good question. Adderol seems like it could do incredible things for a SC player. In fact, if I were to ever take it, i would play SC (screw getting work done lol)
06/25/2012 03:49 AMPosted by Ironhide
I'd say it's along the lines of painkiller abuse in sports right now. Common, probably not good, but nearly impossible to police since the drugs have legitimate applications. It really comes down to personal accountability for your health and decisions.

Kinda sad when that happens in little league sports with <12 :'(

06/24/2012 08:30 AMPosted by Hylozoist
Energy drinks tend to make people twitchy and shaky more than anything else.

I swear there is something wrong with my metabolism, I can drink as many redbulls as I want and nothing :S