Anyone else: iMac hard shutdown during play.

Mac Technical Support
I've had this happen twice now (once during a multiplayer game — instant loss — good thing I'm bronze and have no ego left to worry about my rank).

20in iMac, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
OSX 10.6.4
2G ram
ATI Radeon HD2600

And this isn't an application crash. The entire machine shuts down. The first time I wondered if it might have been an overheating issue, but this most recent time I was only a few minutes into the game, on the same settings I've been using for all previous games. I just got to see my opponent's banelings start to goo up my poor soldiers and *bam!* the machine was off. Heat was not the issue.

I have spent some time looking over the forum and some googling but didn't find anything quite like this. Has anyone else had this problem?
I'd be very interested to know what shows up in your logs after this happens (Console.app->All Messages).
That was the first thing I checked. :) I should have mentioned that.

Nothing shows up in the logs. Just normal running, then the reboot. No indication of what panicked.
The funny thing is it doesn't sound like a panic (usually goes to gray screen when it panics). But it still may be.

I'll have to think about this one. Is SC2 the only thing that causes it?

I assume you've applied the Apple graphics update.

Does the power totally turn off to your iMac when it happens?
Yes, SC2 is the only thing that causes it. The only other graphical apps I have run on this thing (SL, EVE, and not in a while) may flake out and crash, but don't cause the whole machine to go crazy.

All patches are up to date.

It sure looks like the machine is totally turned off — screen blank, no disk noise, etc. The only oddity is that a simple press on the back power button will not turn it back on. I have to hold it a bit longer, though not as long as the hard forced reboot takes.
Hmm. Might be worth resetting SMC.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

If that doesn't fix it and after the next SC2 patch comes out and your iMac continues to do that I would call Apple. It's possible there's a problem with the power supply. If there is they are good about making it right.
This exact same thing has happened to me 5 times now. 2 times today. Only Starcraft 2 does this. I can play any other game and this won't happen. At first I thought it was something like finder thought that I was hot keying something else, outside of SC2, but nothing would cause an instant black screen then turn back on. Unless it was something where outside of the game it goes to the blue screen to sit down but doesn't close SC2 so you don't see it? IDK. It is very annoying and I am kind of angry that Blizzard hasn't caught this, because we aren't the only ones.
Have you guys installed SMC fan control to see if it's a heating issue as well?

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

I would monitor the temps to see if this is the case. Up the fan speed a little too.
What do you call a resto druid that melees? A Combat log...
Bah-ah-ah-ah-rains!!!
Well it would help if you guys got off your butts and actually tried to figure out whats going on... I think its a memory leak, cause it ONLY happens while signed in.
Im running 2010 imac, 21.5 4GB ram, 3.06 dual core
Haven't had any additional reports about this. I requested additional information about temps and what not and check for monitoring and I didn't see the information posted. Please be more considerate when replying to a Blue post. A simple yes and here is the results would of suffice.
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Tu-Sat 8:45 am - 5 pm CST
If you can't find it here, contact a rep direct :http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. Haala at your sheep!
What do you call heavy rains in Mulgore? A Taurential downpour....
Bah-ah-ah-ah-rains!!!
Sorry for my rudeness all that time ago, Blizzard wasn't treating me well.
So I'm not sure if it was the new mac LION seed I was doing that fixed it or if the smc fan control.
Whatever it was, I no longer have any shutdown problems and I ALWAYS run smc fan control.
Thanks guys.
I also had this problem. Turns out that with a lot of the new patches, Starcraft makes the computer overheat (takes up too much processing power or some such). You can turn everything else off (close all other programs, like Mail, Safari, etc.) and the Fan Control software helps a lot too.

I installed SMC Fan Control and I made it through a mission without the CPU rebooting. Will let you know if it lasts for a sustained amount of time.
Same problem here... Happens 4-5 times a day until I lost my patience on it! And it's nothing to do with the temperature issue! As for the 3rd and 4th times it just totally shut down in a minute after I start the game... Mine is 2012 late 27 inch top gear IMac, why? Try the SMC, didn't work as well... God.. Hardware check, nothing wrong.. I even took the machine to Apple store and they check it through, nothing wrong... What's going on its the game? This problem happens since June...
Leaving your imac on for long periods of time like days will effect it a year down the road atleast with my older ones a couple years ago did
ITS IMPORTANT TO LET YOUR COMPUTER COOL DOWN!!!
yea semple as that sometimes
game won't quit while loading maps
I am having same problems. Only happens with SC

I have an iMac 27-inch, mid 2010
Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 12 GB
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

Running OS X El Capitan
I have the same problem

specs:

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)
2.93 GHz Intel Core i7