Download Failed - Problem Downloading Content

Technical Support
1 2 3 7 Next
As of today, I cannot play Multiplayer Ladder games, I get the message "There was a problem downloading this content. Please try again later." when trying to play in any ladder bracket. The same message appears when I try to play a custom game on any of the maps altered in Patch 1.1.

Edit: It appears that the only maps I can currently play on - and only via Custom - are:

-Blistering Sands
-Crossfire
-Scrap Station
-Steppes of War
-Arid Wastes
-Lost Temple
-Burning Tide

All other Blizzard Melee maps have been rendered unplayable.

2nd Edit: The problem persists through a router reset and confirmation that the appropriate ports are open. Non-Blizzard games (Custom Maps) do not appear to be affected.

3rd Edit: Not all Custom maps are affected, but I receive the same error when attempting to download some custom maps.

4th Edit: Single Player (Campaign) appears to be fully-functional.

5th Edit: A few hours later, problem persists.

6th Edit: Some Mac users may be having comparable problems. Forum posts are unclear.

7th Edit: Ladder remains unplayable. Ran Repair tool in case the problem could be solved that way, no change & no problems detected.

8th Edit: To further clarify the issue, the option to download the problem-causing maps exists (the yellow button), but the maps cannot be downloaded - the error appears on attempt.

9th Edit: Now going on the 15 hour mark with no resolution of the problem.

10th Edit: 18th hour, continues to show updating 1/9 and then the 'problem downloading content' message upon any attempt to join ladder, co-op, or download a map.

11th Edit:

Currently confirmed players affected: Backdraft, Ark, IzZince, McAwesomeFace.

The following all do not resolve the problem:
-Re-installing StarCraft II
-Resetting router / confirming appropriate ports are open on router / firewall
-Running Repair tool
-"Run as Administrator" on Windows 7

-Ensuring the following firewall exceptions are in place:

\StarCraft II\StarCraft II.exe
\StarCraft II\Versions\Base15405\SC2.exe
\StarCraft II\Versions\Base16561\SC2.exe
\StarCraft II\Support\SC2Switcher.exe

-Ensuring display drivers are up to date (either via Windows 7 "Update Driver" feature or by manual installation)
-Uninstalling anti-virus and disabling Windows Firewall

12th Edit: Updated list of affected users.

13th Edit: Updated list of actions which do not resolve the problem.

14th Edit: Updated list of actions which do not resolve the problem.

15th Edit: Deleting a Cache folder may resolve the problem, one possible case of success.

16th Edit: Updated list of actions which do not resolve the problem.

17th Edit: Updated list of actions which do not resolve the problem.

18th Edit: Updated list of actions which do not resolve the problem.
I am having the EXACT same problem. I reinstalled the game once already and I gained nothing out of it.

I am lost as to what to do other then wait and hope Blizzard can fix this.

I must say I've played Blizzard games for a long long time, but usually they have their !@*@ together so lets hope they fix these kind of bugs soon.

Then again, the times they are a changing.
To preempt the standard "did you check your router?": I have since reset my router and confirmed that the appropriate ports are open. The problem persists.

Again, the problem occurs with attempts to play Multiplayer Ladder or to download any of the Blizzard Melee maps not listed in my original post.
Bumping this as the problem has still not resolved itself.
18 hours, problem persists.
19 hours, problem persists, no assistance.
same problem
I have the same exact problem and its really annoying, i dident pay 100 bucks for this game to not be able to play it. blizzard needs to fix this i was just starting to get good.
21 hours, problem persists, no assistance.
my friend is affected also !!
22 hours, problem persists.
23 hours, problem persists, no solution.
Who is your ISP?

Also, download and install wireshark:
http://www.wireshark.org/
Next, log into Battle.net and attempt to download a map you're having issues with (don't start packet logging yet)
Alt-tab out, open Wireshark (if it isn't already) and start a capture.
Set the filter to tcp.port eq 1119 and hit Apply.
Tab back into SC2 and try downloading the map again.
Exit SC2 and stop the packet capture.

Now, one at a time, right-click a packet and hit Follow TCP stream.

Hopefully, you see something like this:
GET /53107e792e91922571fdb9f380995591975e5dc43f070b3f58091d854873a8d2.s2mv HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Battle.net Web Client
Host: US.depot.battle.net:1119
Accept: */*

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 01:13:26 GMT
ETag: "15690004-3f080-490c9bfe31840"
Last-Modified: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:08:09 GMT
Server: ECAcc (ord/57CE)
Via: 1.1 varnish
X-Varnish: 86783254
Content-Length: 258176

(lots of gibberish here)

Write down a little bit of the filename so that you can remember it. In the above example, it is 53107e792e91922571fdb9f380995591975e5dc43f070b3f58091d854873a8d2.s2mv
Now, hit Filter Out This Stream
Finally, go through each stream and look for files that you've already seen (you wrote the names down, right?). This should be one per map, based on what I've seen in the past, but it may be more.
Copy and paste the names into a reply to this post. I (or someone else) will make a package to fix this issue for you with those files.

I suggest restarting the capture for each map that you do this for.
I have found a solution to the problem!

Well this worked for me anyway, try when you go into your SC2 folder or where ever it is delete your catch folder and or bugs folder. Once you delete that it should reset all of your stuff to what the game came with and any custom maps you have downloaded, no need to reinstall or anything just try that and see if the problem persist. I got mine working after about 2 hours playing with it that worked.

Hope this was helpful, because we all know blizzard doesent seem to help...
I have found a solution to the problem!

Well this worked for me anyway, try when you go into your SC2 folder or where ever it is delete your catch folder and or bugs folder. Once you delete that it should reset all of your stuff to what the game came with and any custom maps you have downloaded, no need to reinstall or anything just try that and see if the problem persist. I got mine working after about 2 hours playing with it that worked.

Hope this was helpful, because we all know blizzard doesent seem to help...

Problem persists, but with achievements disabled and error message after login. Over 24 hours without resolution, I'll look into WireShark if I have the time later.
since patch my SC2 freezes my PC running Windows 7 64x. Used to run the game fine on Ultra settings. I've tried deleting the cache and tempfolders, as well as the settings.

basically game loads after Raynor's big face, then the graphics are all funky and the monitor goes into a fit of epilepsy.

same probs here
since patch my SC2 freezes my PC running Windows 7 64x. Used to run the game fine on Ultra settings. I've tried deleting the cache and tempfolders, as well as the settings.

basically game loads after Raynor's big face, then the graphics are all funky and the monitor goes into a fit of epilepsy.

same probs here

You're having a different problem if you're getting freezes and problems w/graphics.

Edit: 36 hours, problem persists. Will look into WireShark if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Two days, problem persists. Will look into WireShark tomorrow morning.
I have also been having the same problem. I hope this is resolved because patch 1.1.1 doesn't seem to have fixed it either. Some helpful (possibly) related information in my specific case:
1. I am not on a Mac
2. Patch 1.1.1 was about 94% done and it said it still had 40 minutes to download, so I closed it out. I then reopened Starcraft II, assuming that it would prompt me for the patch again, but it didn't. The version number is 1.1.1, however. Is it possible that the patch was not completely installed?
NVM it was fixed for me after turning off firewalls.