How To: Map Control.

Terran Discussion
Highly Rated
If you like this thread please leave a comment, thumbs me up, and feel free to visit my other guides. If you have any questions or concerns please ask.

How To: Macro.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/628074288
How To: Micro.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/628074091
How To: Scouting.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/627974129
How To: Build Orders.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/627973877?page=1
How To: Harassment.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/628254273

First lets start with what map control is and means. Map control is what it sounds like. You have control of the map, and by that I mean you have sight on most of the map. Now the reason you may have that are a few things, because you control the xel'naga watch towers, because you just won a large engagement, because your opponent is new (it's ok, we all were at one point), and because your opponent is turtling.

Ok, so I have map control, why do I want it? Map control gives you the ability to expand safely. Now, to a lot of you new players who always ask, "when do I expand". A great time to do that is when you have map control. Map control is very critical, and although I don't want to overstate the need for it by saying "If you don't have map control you can't win" but it will certainly help you.

So how do you take map control? The easiest way is by harassing. Again using zerg as an example let's say you have... a viking and a few hellions. Well zerg will dominate map control with overlords and zerglings. Guess what terran units destroy those units? Hellions and vikings! Your opponent will have to pull his overlords back or risk losing a great deal of money and you can kill the zerglings holding the towers with the hellions. Now just send out a few marines to hold those towers and tah dah! We have map control. As an added bonus send a few marines to each expansion and you'll get even more map control.

It's ok to "waste" a few units on map control, don't be shy if you spent 50 resources on a marine and you're saying "I need him to fight!" Unless the battle is in your base, it is better to have map control.

Now, the other two races have observers, overlords, and zerglings for map control. Blizzard has gifted terran with one thing. The sensor tower, although overlooked, gives great map control. Although it doesn't give you "vision" you can see when a drop is coming to land in your base, you can see when your opponent moves out. It is incredibly versatile. Reapers are also very nice for controlling the towers. Most of the towers are on a cliff so reapers can move quickly back and forth and if need be get out of there quickly as well.

Well I think thats about all, if you have anything else to add or have questions please ask.

This is Beammeup, signing out.
Reapers are also very nice for controlling the towers. Most of the towers are on a cliff so reapers can move quickly back and forth and if need be get out of there quickly as well.

Its true, go play a Tv(P/Z) and put a reaper at the 2 central watch towers, and just by jumping on the little nearby cliff, your able to decimate a massive number of lings or zealots. (Or marines/sentries/hydras if they don't have sight.)
Thump
Bump. Your guides are quite good. Ill be putting all of the advice into effect the next few weeks.
In the few games I've played, I am pretty surprised how often the watch towers get forgotten mid-game and on.
Bump
Bump
Great thread, with some videos it would be perfect. Sometimes it just helps to see a b/o out or to see a demonstration of maintaining map control to see the things that are hard to describe in writing.
Very true. I just won a game a few days ago where the biggest contributing factor was map control. My opponent and I had roughly the same forces for a long time; we kept skirmishing back and forth and no one would clearly win. That's when I pushed for map control. I caught his expansion with his pants down after we had just fought a tough battle and annihilated it. After expanding myself, I caught him attempting to expand again. I sent the army in and wiped them out. Eventually, I had so many troops because I could expand, while his army couldn't keep up with mine in numbers. I wiped the floor with him several minutes later. There's nothing better than map control. Beammeup's got the right idea.
All these guides are great. I'm not good enough to always be thinking about everything I should be doing, but as I improve these guides help me stay on track.

Thank you very much.
Your excellent guides are responsible for rocketing me from silver to gold in just a couple of days; thank you!
This doesn't explain why map control is important. By negating your opponents' attempts at expanding you're choking off their economy. The fiercest opponents you'll ever meet will rely on minerals and gas. Block their expansions and their main will eventually run out, which means you can walk right in and knock the place over. Most people, after realizing they can't expand, will attempt a last ditch effort before GG'ing and surrenduring.
Holla, Fleetwood mac - Go your own Way
so many " how to ... "
here is no way to play like pro.
only many efforts can make your game level to Pro level
so don't read these threads " How to .. " etc. and
grow your own skill. and go your way. playing many games is the best way to be a real pro.
other ways are all bull shi.t.

to read these threads can't grow your real gaming skill. only playing game can grow your real gaming skill. go play game without brain. how you can think while you play game ? always loser has many thinkings and many talkings.

I think learning from higher skill players is good. I'm pretty sure this applies is almost every aspect of life. It's the reason why we go to school, have parents and coaches.

You must be a terran player to think this way.

Nerf terran, buff zerg!
It's people like you that make Terran OP :D
so many " how to ... "
here is no way to play like pro.
only many efforts can make your game level to Pro level
so don't read these threads " How to .. " etc. and
grow your own skill. and go your way. playing many games is the best way to be a real pro.
other ways are all bull shi.t.

to read these threads can't grow your real gaming skill. only playing game can grow your real gaming skill. go play game without brain. how you can think while you play game ? always loser has many thinkings and many talkings.

Thinking you can't learn anything from other players is just asinine. Maybe you personally can only learn by playing and that's fine. This thread, however, is for people looking to improve their skill by reading other peoples advice. Personally I learn a lot from these threads and from watching other people play.

Thank you, Beammeup, for taking the time to make this and all your other threads.
It's people like you that make Terran OP :D

Lol, thats a great post...
I love you now =D, ask a few of the zerg diamonds to do the same thing and perhaps you guys wouldn't be struggling either!
I wanted to add a commnet, Map control needs to be like a noose tightening around your opponents base. If your opponent can not build an expansion without a transport... they will find it very difficult and time consuming to expand while you simply have your SCV (resource collectors) walk and micro elsewhere.

A key point are the Xel Naga towers, however, there are cross roads. This second key control point can bottle your opponent up if they have ground units. Also, Controlling a cross road near your opponents base will determine if you need to rush additional units while your foces fall back because your force is overmatched.