PC Crashing with ATI HD <Vital Question>

Technical Support
I know this has been reported numerous times, but I am getting black screens of death when I try to run Starcraft II at medium or higher settings. The driver keeps failing sometimes causes a momentary freeze, but often causing a complete crash.

Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Core(s)
4 GB of RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series (Updated driver)

I've monitored my temperatures with SpeedFan and CPUID Hardware Monitor.
I've stress tested:
CPU - Using Prime95 and IntelBurnTest
Memory - Using Memtest86+
GPU - Using FurMark

The computer did not crash in any of these tests or near overheating. The problem is with SC2. My question is as follows:

Blizzard, do you recognize this problem, and are you actively moving to fix it?
Blizzard is not available right now.

Please leave a message and we will promptly set it on fire and begin ignoring it.

That is your problem, anyone i know that has a ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series does not work with SC2, we don't know who to blame, either Blizzard, or ATI. But someone is at fault, and no one will fix it.

P.S. I have ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

That is your problem, anyone i know that has a ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series does not work with SC2, we don't know who to blame, either Blizzard, or ATI. But someone is at fault, and no one will fix it.

Yeah, I know that's the problem. I am just wanting to know if Blizzard recognizes this as a problem, and if they are moving to fix it.
I had the same issue as you, I think I may have found the fix, atleast in my case. I have a 5770.

I started running a gpu monitor in the background while playing SC2 to if it was overheating or what. I was using MSI Afterburner because I like the graphs it uses, but you can use GPU-Z or whatever you like.

I was suspicious that it was overheating because my card would get up to 76 degrees, but apparently thats not too high for the 5xxx series. So I looked a little more closely at the graphs and I noticed that right about the time the driver would fail or my FPS would drop, ATI Power Play was dropping my GPU from 3d clock speeds to 2d clock speeds....right in the middle of playing the game. Apparently this causes windows to believe the card is hanging, so instead of waiting for the card to fix the clock speeds, it just restarted the driver.

Go to this link:

http://beecherbowers.com/2010/03/10/fixed-ati-5770-driver-stopped-responding-error-in-windows-7/

Follow the steps to create a profile. The tutorial tells you to just set the 2d clocks a little bit higher, but I decided to just set all the different modes to the same clocks (865mhz/1200mhz). That way I know Im not going to get freezes/driver drops from my GPU trying to lower the clocks.

Im awful at giving directions so please let me know if I need to clarify everything.

*Also, before I figured this out, I did all the other things people say..furmark, memtest, cleaning cpu, reinstalling drivers, buy more ram, blah blah, nothing worked but the above!
Alright, I have the profile started up. I'll get back to you if it works with 5800 series.
Nope, did not work. Any Blizzard Blue around for comment?
Ill just bump this because i've been talking to blizzard through email for over a month now and they are still giving me the work around (clean your pc of dust, reinstall drivers all the bull**%#). I know my card isn't overheating, i used afterburner to check and i even bought a small desk fan to point directly at my card to be 100%. (my card stays at 45C all the time now) I'm just sick of having stupid **%# like this ruin the game, i lose ranked matches over and over because my game craps out on me before i even load.

I have the HD4670 1gb
windows mce SP3
3gb ram
intel dual core 2.8
The only way to prevent freezing for me is to run at Low settings. My card works with all super intensive games just fine. It really is a Starcraft issue, and I would super love Blizzard to at least say they notice and acknowledge the problem.
CLEAN YOUR VIDEO CARD, its overheating cause theres too much dusk in the fan. ive had 3 ati cards, a 4650, 4850, and now a 5870 and the problem has been the same for all three
CLEAN YOUR VIDEO CARD, its overheating cause theres too much dusk in the fan. ive had 3 ati cards, a 4650, 4850, and now a 5870 and the problem has been the same for all three

My card doesn't have a fan, it's the I-silence version of the hd 4xxx series so it's definately not dust or overheating for that matter. I have a desk fan pointed directly at my rig (open case) and the temp never gets above 45C

It's not overheating slick. I've stress tested it and watched the temperatures (as I said before). The card/computer was only weeks old when I started playing SC2.

Looking for real help and/or Blizzard looking into the ATI HD card problems.
*sigh* with blizzard making oodles of money off of WoW etc etc etc... they cant find the time to to either acknowledge stated issue or fix the issue... running ati hd 4800, 2.8 dual core, 4 gb ram windows 7 ultimate 64. could someone from the mighty blizzard please bestow upon us some sort of response to this. it is unacceptable and stating to clean cards, uninstall reinstall drivers, overheating, bunk memory blah blah blah is beyond ridiculous. If one rig was experiencing the issue then sure i might swallow the shennanigans provided. But the fact that this has been posted multiple times with multiple different set ups with multiple different settings in game, should further support the fact that its an issue with SC2/ATI.

An epic game with poor support/responses from the provider makes everything else about the game lack luster.

P.s. IF it is an issue with ATI then at least provide us that tidbit of information so we can then complain to the correct area to get this fixed and get back to enjoying YOUR product
^^^^ If only Blizz read the posts where they couldn't answer with the usual "get the latst driver"...

/Bump
Still waiting for Blizzard insight.
b - u - m - p
I have a HD 2600 and i cant even start up the game. And its not like its been doing this sense i bought it i have been playing for few weeks before this.
I just wish the blizzard staff world even acknowledge the problem.
B,u,M,p
So creating a profile to make all my powerplay states have the same clock speed/voltage helped for a little bit, but it started again.

Then I found out that during Beta that this was an issue caused by the Physx drivers, so by disabling all physics and changing:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft II\StarCraft II.exe" -skipopenal -nocpubinding

to the Target in my Starcraft 2 shortcut, I have not had any issues since, its been a couple days now.
Did not work for me Gab.

Still waiting on a Blue affirmation that this is being worked on.