Protoss Vs Terran

Protoss Discussion
Ok I'm going to describe one of my basic PvT macro games.

So the Terran does a basic 1 rax + bunker expand so i expand too. I know he will attack at around 10 min mark with lots of rines and marauders, when i have maybe 2 immortals, a few zealots, and 4 sentries. at that point i am also trying to choose how to counter his bio; storm or colo. suppose i chose colo and when he is coming my first colo is out. he sees it and stims back to his base behind bunkers so i cant engage him without sacrificing too many units. Protoss drop play is suicide because u cant pick all ur units up and leave so i have to go take a third.

But here is the problem, my colo which is a T3 unit wont cause him to do any tech switch because he was already making medivacs. in less than 3 minutes he will have a fleet of vikings to neutralize colo, because they r cheap, fast to build and already on his tech path. Since i know that, i will start teching towards HT which is mindbendingly expensive in gas. That means it slows everything else down (upgrades and unit production). All of that is assuming the Terran is not doing any kinda cheap drop play all over the place to disrupt my economy.

The terran will also assume HT and make ghosts which is pretty easy to acquire once the terran is on 3 bases. In a head to head fight, we can cross out zealots because stim micro will melt them; sentries are too slow to put FF and the CD on charge is long. While i am trying to keep zealots in the front line alive from bio kiting, i also need to use stalkers to focus fire vikings and keep my slow HT away from Ghost snipe + emp. If anything goes wrong, i lose right there. I know the terran is also managing his army but he is slowly killing my zealots while they cant really hit his units. There is a fleet of medivacs so he overstim all he wants and get away with it.

I have won sometimes, but usually i lose simply because my opponent has much cheaper units, and none of my tech switches surprise him; everything he need to counter me is already on his tech path. I feel like i dont necessarily lose to some1 with more skill, but to the units.
If you are losing a macro game to Terran, you are awful, I'm sorry. There is no excuse for Protoss to lose macro game versus Terran, considering its 4-5x harder for Terran late game than it is for Protoss.
that is assuming u even get to macro stage, usually u die as soon as the third base is about to cap probes for all the reasons above
Just ignore the Terran...

I've been having the same issues as you are. I've started getting Blink before Charge and that seems to help out a lot. I used to try to go to High Templar too quickly which was really hurting me as Vikings were able to kill my Colossus because of my lack of Stalkers. The truth is you really just need to micro it out. Make sure you're prepared for drops, Target Vikings in an attack and do your best to micro your Colossus being targeted. If you do it all right you should come out with an okay amount of units. The one thing that is really frustrating about this engagement is you are forced to take a third after the Terran player. Not really a whole lot you can do about that I'm afraid, take your third and get charge and High Templar and keep those upgrades going.
Thx, The one thing i hate the most is the fact that ghosts and infestors can get extra initial energy with mobius reactor and pathogen glands but not HT.
Well, that's because originally HT had a similar upgrade and it was OBVIOUS, and I mean OBVIOUS that it was OP, so it was scrapped.
I know HT had the upgrade, but to zergs and terrans it seems fair that their casters have extra energy while Toss dont. I wonder what's really OP
08/07/2012 11:39 PMPosted by Pharaoh
I know HT had the upgrade, but to zergs and terrans it seems fair that their casters have extra energy while Toss dont. I wonder what's really OP

Because EMP and Fungal are not as game breaking as Storm. Also, it is Protoss ability to warp in units that contributed to the amulet removal.

It is imbalanced to have warp prism travel to opponent's base and instantly warp in and storm workers.

Amulet is not coming back, I'm 100% sure of it.
I can do the same thing by warping them in my base and transporting them into enemy mineral line where i storm; as much as i hate the delay it causes, it'd foolish to skip the enemy's army and go storm his mineral line while he is about to destroy my base because HT are expensive. I'd be fine with it if HT build itself was not so damn expensive in both gas and energy.
I don't like HT tech till late game, it costs too much gas, is not guaranteed damage and slows down your early-mid game too much.
Your 2nd colossus is being built as he comes for you, start a stargate after it and chrono phoenix to deal with vikings, make sure to take the 3rd.

If you don't trade horribly, you will be able to afford enough Phoenix to deal with his viking spam, or at the least hold them busy while his ground army is roasted. I do get zealot speed and mostly zealots as support so I can afford upgrades.

I can actually now safely make up to 7+ colossus nowadays vs terran following this unit comp. If your phoenix stay on top or even with his viking force, nothing can touch your colossus.

And we all know what happens to a ground army vs critical mass colossus.
08/07/2012 11:52 PMPosted by Pianist

Because EMP and Fungal are not as game breaking as Storm. Also, it is Protoss ability to warp in units that contributed to the amulet removal.

It is imbalanced to have warp prism travel to opponent's base and instantly warp in and storm workers.

Amulet is not coming back, I'm 100% sure of it.

Two EMPs vs a HT-based army and the Protoss is already dead. Two storms and the terran can still win the engagement.

Fungal is the biggest game changing spell in the whole game.

In a nutshell, wtf are you talking about.....?
08/07/2012 11:06 PMPosted by Pianist
If you are losing a macro game to Terran, you are awful, I'm sorry. There is no excuse for Protoss to lose macro game versus Terran, considering its 4-5x harder for Terran late game than it is for Protoss.
What? Terrans late game army counters everything protoss... Gateway units? Countered by MMM, Collasi and other air units? countered by vikings, High templar and archons? Countered by Ghosts and all the shield on my whole army....
I know Protoss units are supposed to be expensive, but they are also supposed to be effective. So when i see how trivial my zealots are in PvT it really frustrates me. I dont know, they could reduce charge CD or increase sentry FF range.
08/08/2012 01:02 AMPosted by Pharaoh
I know Protoss units are supposed to be expensive, but they are also supposed to be effective. So when i see how trivial my zealots are in PvT it really frustrates me. I dont know, they could reduce charge CD or increase sentry FF range.

Lol? Even Blizzard admitted to Terran not having viable way to counter late game Chargelots, and you are frustrated using them? Try trying to counter late game chargelots when even the developer admits to seeing the issue.
This guy is mad and it amuses me.
Terrans drop at the 10 minute mark. I can drop dt's at the 8 minute mark. The math is simple. Terran is the junk yard dog from about 9-16 minutes in this matchup. Forcing scans is the key to slowing their economy.

I almost always have two warp prisms going at once forcing him to stay home, split his army and get Vikings rather then medivacs to try and stop my speed prisms. I expand...and expand again. Most of my games end up with 3 base vs 2 base Terran because he just can't get his rhythm going....and I'm forcing him to build stuff he doesn't want to build.

Dt's make it scary to counter drop without ravens or stored scans..hence I usually keep the Terran on his heels the entire game.

In short dictate the pace of the game and beating Terran is actually not that hard....when the game gets into the late game he is normally pretty far behind by this point.....GG.

Disclaimer..this is much harder then it sounds vs high master/GM.
08/08/2012 05:26 AMPosted by Darkart
Disclaimer..this is much harder then it sounds vs high master/GM.

harder then it sounds vs high master/GM
high master/GM

trollface.jpg
08/07/2012 11:06 PMPosted by Pianist

No, you're actually just bad, and you can't own up to being bad.

Regarding the thread topic - I think the problem with most Protoss plays vs Terran is that they stand around too long and wait for the fight to come to them at multiple angles. I've been having much more success when I open with a pressure play, then go home and set up my next pressure play. Sase's gateway pressure opener into 2-base DT drops have been working well for me, just because it keeps him off my !@# and buys me time to get up a 3rd base and Colossus (not to mention, the pressure opener just kills any stupid opener the Terran does). If he ever decides to attack, his first attack comes at about 12 minutes, and it's all-in considering I will always have DTs in his base during the mid-game.

One thing people really underestimate is the importance of army control against a Terran - specifically forcefields and guardian shield. Stalkers also are not that bad during the midgame if you have a healthy number of Zealots to take the damage.
08/08/2012 01:13 AMPosted by Pianist

Lol? Even Blizzard admitted to Terran not having viable way to counter late game Chargelots, and you are frustrated using them? Try trying to counter late game chargelots when even the developer admits to seeing the issue.

Lol Blizzard said that mass zealot is hard for terrans to counter if they dont know how to stim micro. Right now, i do think any terran in Gold league cant stim micro

LOL.