Infester: Fungal; AoE 65%+ Slow and Silence

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Hello Battle.Net community,

Proposal: Fungal;
Same AoE, but instead of holding units it will now:
- Lower movement speed by ~65%, units keep spell fungaled status.

I have been pondering what this change might inflict upon the game for quite some time now, and would like to hear what everybody has to think about it.

This change would give a fighting hope to players attempting to micro their units out of the Zerg claws of death, epically mid game with Banshees, late game Raven + Viking compositions and least we forget losing all our Phoenixes to Chain fungals at 11:30 ;;
(Possibly the buff ravens deserve?)
This would also allow Protoss to be somewhat less hesitant moving moving up ramps or Utilizing their highly mobile stalker compositions.

Only major problem I see with this is drop harassment will be slightly harder to deal with, but I feel this is a over sight-able change due to the fact higher level players will now be able to have a slight hope to save units with devoted micro.

Please leave any ideas or suggestions you might have below, I look forward to reading them.

TL;DR: Fungal changed to: Same AoE Damage but Slow to ~65% and keep spell fungeled silenced status, post opinion.
Edit: fixed intentions of silence under fungal.
Reddit Edit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/yyqgy/what_if_fungal_slowed_not_held_suggestions_please/

EDIT: Thanks everyone for your feedback, Ill be re-write this Thread/ Idea soon. Don't feel like I've done this idea justice and I'll include a lot of the positively rated feedback this has gotten, thanks again!
As a Zerg player, I do feel that fungal can be too strong, especially vs Terran. And anything that prevents micro and positioning is bad for the game in my opinion. Fungal being a slow is an idea I've liked for a long time now. Winning an engagement because I hit with a good fungal isn't very satisfying to me.
08/28/2012 08:45 AMPosted by Phaeton
Winning an engagement because I hit with a good fungal isn't very satisfying to me.
I agree with OP, I have felt the same way for a long time. I also feel that fungal should not effect massive units.
maybe good for lower level players, but bad for top level where players can split already
08/28/2012 08:13 AMPosted by SsToddsS
TL;DR: Fungal changed to: Same AoE Damage but Slow to ~65% and keep silence, post opinion.

This was argued slightly about a week ago. I was under the impression that fungal does not silence, but merely prevents movement based abilities from working, mainly blink but a few others as well (I think maybe siege / unsiege was one of them). Storm, feedback, emp, and snip all work while fungal'ed though. This is what I thought, could someone please confirm this?
Thanks for the responses! really appreciate your time.
As we all know, this thread will be washed under the unforgiving sea of Balance posts but its nice to know people out there agree with me.
There is no silence associated with fungal. At least I can emp and snipe while fungaled and I have been emp'd and stormed while fungalling.
Thanks for the responses! really appreciate your time.
As we all know, this thread will be washed under the unforgiving sea of Balance posts but its nice to know people out there agree with me.

Well, good luck with that.

Obviously something like this should be tested extensively, but I think it'd be worth the effort. Infestors are, and have been, at the level of "one size fits all counter" for quite a long time. It's the same place that Ghosts were at, but they were limited to countering Zerg T3.
Fungal kills packs of units very well, and meshes with units like Banelings, Ultralisks and Brood Lords incredibly well.
Infested Terran can be used for huge harassment damage and raw DPS or tanking.
NP is used to take down large units.
Me gusta, and I play Zerg :D However, I think by reducing movement speed by 65% will be too slow--units might as well be rooted. Maybe only like a 40-50% reduction in speed, possibly for longer duration or slightly more damage? Would have to be tested a lot though.
08/28/2012 08:52 AMPosted by Greatbox
maybe good for lower level players, but bad for top level where players can split already

almost every single pro game I watch involve some kind of major Fungal Growth hitting 2 billion things. I'm sure pros can split much better than others, but the impact of one fungal on key units that weren't split perfectly is very big.
Fungal doesn't silence...
08/28/2012 09:23 AMPosted by Omega

almost every single pro game I watch involve some kind of major Fungal Growth hitting 2 billion things. I'm sure pros can split much better than others, but the impact of one fungal on key units that weren't split perfectly is very big.

"Some kind of major fungals" out of how many attempted fungals?

I see at least a money storm or two when tos goes templars vs zerg or bio, but that doesn't mean storm is inherently imbalanced.

Stutter step with stim / storms do their damage in one go and fast. Fungals by themselves don't do much unless you expose your infestors and take your sweet time doing it. You need the right combination of units in order to make that perfect fungal effective.
Fungal should not root air units, that's the only change that should be made. Clumped up melee that has enhanced movement abilities (stim'ed bio, blink stalkers, and ling/bling/roach with speed) needs to be countered hard by a zerg spellcaster.

08/28/2012 08:59 AMPosted by IndigO
Fungal kills packs of units very well, and meshes with units like Banelings, Ultralisks and Brood Lords incredibly well.

That's the whole point.... synergy is a good thing.

08/28/2012 09:23 AMPosted by Omega
almost every single pro game I watch involve some kind of major Fungal Growth hitting 2 billion things.

as well as an archon toilet that kills 2 billion worth of resources, as well as a psi-storm that insta-melts 100 supply of bio, as well as an emp that instantly removes thousands of hit points, and very recently, as well as a HSM which insta kills 2 billion things. micro is micro and races are different, if you have the micro, you earned the win.
I vote for just make it like plague, micro still possible but slowly bring it down to 1%
Micro is not micro, when you cant micro, I agree with this.. I think it should maybey be 70% slow and negate stimm as well (the movement speed at least) . Fungal is to good vs Clumped air which at least s hould be allowed the chance to de-clump
08/28/2012 09:39 AMPosted by Achilles
HSM which insta kills 2 billion things

that !@#$ is so slow that you need to be blind or retard not to micro out of it i am in silver and its easy so it only kill a few unit and not the whole army.
08/28/2012 08:58 AMPosted by Droglia
There is no silence associated with fungal. At least I can emp and snipe while fungaled and I have been emp'd and stormed while fungalling.
It stops abilities that do not require energy/cost.
Zealots cannot charge. Tanks cannot siege/unsiege. Stalkers cannot Blink. Vikings cannot transform. Zerg units cannot burrow.

Interestingly all these abilities deal with movement, however...

Terran Bio can still stim and Corruptors and Zerglings can still morph. They don't have to deal with movement though and they also technically have a cost.