HotS Quick Questions & Answers Thread

General Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17 34 Next
10/15/2012 01:17 PMPosted by MalZen
Can widow mines detect while unburrowed? what about while recharging their missile?

Widow Mines never detect, they just magically shoot at cloaked units. Therefore, since they cannot shoot while unburrowed, they can't "detect" while unburrowed.
Has there been any news regarding new profile portraits and how they are obtained?
10/15/2012 03:42 PMPosted by MalZen
Has there been any news regarding new profile portraits and how they are obtained?

No, but they did say (quite some time ago) that there would be new portraits.

They will probably be based off of new units, both from Multiplayer and the Campaign, as well as new story characters -- so they probably don't want to show them off yet.
Are they still not using that awesome mothershipcore purify animation?
10/15/2012 06:42 PMPosted by OrionPax
Are they still not using that awesome mothershipcore purify animation?

Yeah, still unused. What would you have them use it for?

Doncroft suggestion using it as a transformation animation when morphing into the Mothership. But what if they're working on entirely new art for that, which shows it building into the MS a little better -- rather then the purify "spinning" animation and suddenly a mothership pops out.
Um just thought you should look into the clan thing again, I would love a little more info. Can you organize clan tournaments IN game like a custom game???
10/15/2012 08:04 PMPosted by fingrknitter
Um just thought you should look into the clan thing again, I would love a little more info. Can you organize clan tournaments IN game like a custom game???

Clan Support isn't added yet, nor have they given us any info. I'd presume it will work similar to Wc3, though. Does that answer the question, or should I elaborate?
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6893559814#6

He confirms clan support but I was curious about how it would operate (your warcraft 3 reference is helpful, unfortunately I never got to play wc3 :'( so I still don't know :S ).

He confirms clan support but I was curious about how it would operate (your warcraft 3 reference is helpful, unfortunately I never got to play wc3 :'( so I still don't know :S ).

See "Key elements of clans" in this thread: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/4254515833 (edit: updated version of that thread http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6572970624 )

Basically, its a clan tag added next to your name, a clan user list (like a friends list, except its all of the clan members, visible to all clan members) and a private clan channel for all clan members to chat in. Chieftain creates and controls the clan, can elect others to help him.

Past that; they didn't really say how it would work so we don't really know.

See "Key elements of clans" in this thread: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/4254515833 (edit: updated version of that thread http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/6572970624 )

Basically, its a clan tag added next to your name, a clan user list (like a friends list, except its all of the clan members, visible to all clan members) and a private clan channel for all clan members to chat in. Chieftain creates and controls the clan, can elect others to help him.

Past that; they didn't really say how it would work so we don't really know.

-___-

Thanks bud XD
would it be possible to try introducing fewer resources per base in ANY way even just for the beta? also id like to see an mmr for each race added in hots...wouldn't that make switching races no problem? ALSO wouldn't getting rid of leagues completely greatly reduce ladder anxiety because you cant be "demoted" for loosing?
would it be possible to try introducing fewer resources per base in ANY way even just for the beta?

Its possible, but it doesn't sound like the plan to do anything like that.

also id like to see an mmr for each race added in hots...wouldn't that make switching races no problem?

It would be confusing to track each of your MMRs and leagues -- especially if this affected teams as well. You would then have 3 different 1v1 leagues rather then 1, and 12 total rather then 4. (Counting only random teams and 1v1)

Instead they created unranked play, were you can simply plan unranked on other races until its up to speed with your main race. Not quite the same, but its a compromise.

ALSO wouldn't getting rid of leagues completely greatly reduce ladder anxiety because you cant be "demoted" for loosing?

Thats essentially what unranked play is.
10/17/2012 02:03 PMPosted by TheSkunk

sure, even if you forget about separate mmrs for each race, removing leagues would still help. unranked games will not let you face proper opponents at the same skill level as you. without leagues you would still face the same skill level but wouldn't have to fear getting demoted, because there is no demotion.
10/17/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Kaepora

sure, even if you forget about separate mmrs for each race, removing leagues would still help. unranked games will not let you face proper opponents at the same skill level as you. without leagues you would still face the same skill level but wouldn't have to fear getting demoted, because there is no demotion.

Uh, yes you do. "Unranked play" still uses the same match making\skill algorithm that League play does, just without the leagues and fear of demotion
10/17/2012 04:39 PMPosted by TheSkunk
Uh, yes you do. "Unranked play" still uses the same match making\skill algorithm that League play does, just without the leagues and fear of demotion
huh. well thats awesome then ^^. will the unranked players and ranked players get to play together? i don't see a problem with it and this way there wouldn't be 2 small groups of players in separate ladders.
huh. well thats awesome then ^^.

Yep! Been doing it any time I want to offrace or try anything crazy; but at the same time I've still been having fun playing ranked as well. Its very nice to have the option.

will the unranked players and ranked players get to play together? i don't see a problem with it and this way there wouldn't be 2 small groups of players in separate ladders.

Yes, thats the way it works currently. Each player has a ranked MMR and a unranked MMR, when they play each other the ranked player will have his ranked MMR changed, and the unranked player will have his unranked MMR changed.

There are some issues with this -- players can do whatever they want with no consequences, so it may be frustrating to lower level ranked players fighting against higher level players who are just screwing around. It may feel like, to them, that the system cannot accurately gage a your skill level if all the people you are fighting are just better, but are doing screwy things.
There are some issues with this -- players can do whatever they want with no consequences, so it may be frustrating to lower level ranked players fighting against higher level players who are just screwing around. It may feel like, to them, that the system cannot accurately gage a your skill level if all the people you are fighting are just better, but are doing screwy things.
well i guess that's already a problem in the current ladder with people who don't care about their rank. heh
Does the Viper ability Abduct work on SCVs currently building a structure?
If so, does it break the worker's AI in a sense it has to be manually commanded to begin re-building?
If not, that's bogus. Would be a cool form of harass.
Does the Viper ability Abduct work on SCVs currently building a structure?
If so, does it break the worker's AI in a sense it has to be manually commanded to begin re-building?
If not, that's bogus. Would be a cool form of harass.

No, you can cast it on SCVs building buildings but it doesn't actually pull them. Viper shoots out a hook, it does nothing.

But really, even if its cool, it would be completely useless even if you could :P
I'm sure if you could pull them and it caused them to go idle there would be useful but infrequent times that the player doesn't realize his SCV has stop building.
That's a real shame right there; would be a unique form of harass if an Abduct caused workers to go idol. Could have a dramatic affect if like a probe on an assimilator was pulled then goes idle until the player takes note and manually has to place the probe back on vesp.
I appreciate you answering all these questions