Making a new computer

Off Topic Dicussion
Hi
I'm building my own computer for the first time and would like some advice on the build I've planned.

Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP LGA1155 Sandy / Ivy Bridge Intel Z77 chipset mATX 4 X DDR3-DIMM, VGA/DVI/HDMI output,PCI-E3.0, Support ATI CorssFireX,SATA3, USB3.0,Raid

Western Digital 500GB 3.5" Black Edition SATA3 7200RPM 64MB Cache HDD , 5 Years warranty

Kingston DDR3 8GB 1600MHz Gaming Performance HyperX Memory Kit (2x4GB) CL9 Non-ECC Dimm

COOLER MASTER 525W eXtreme Power2 dual +12V outputs 3 Year Warranty

EVGA GeForce GT640 2GB DDR3 PCI-E 3.0 16X Video Card , DVI-I + DVI-D+ Mini HDMI , Single slot ( 3 Years warranty )

Are there any abvious bottlenecks in this system and what graphics settings could this build handle without ridiculous lag?(in 4v4s)
Is there something I could swap out for better value?

Thanks in advance
Definitely going to want the PSU to be 80 Plus Bronze Certified.
Dunno about the rest, still learning. :D
What's your budget? What do you plan on reusing (in this case brand matters if it was prebuilt)? What do you plan on doing with the computer (i.e. CPU intensive applications such as AutoCad/3DS Max or just mainly 3d gaming)?
Add an SSD to your build that will only house the OS, drivers, system apps and 1 or 2 games.
60 GB would do but I went with a 128. The performance increase will be very noticeable. Keep the larger 7200 rpm HD for all your non system files. (music, pics, videos, etc).

Your processor before overclock will score a 7.6 out of 7.9 on Windows Experience Index.
An SSD will score a 7.9.

Cant comment on the video card scoring.

Ram is good number. Anymore and you will not notice for gaming only. Should score higher than 7.6

80+ bronze cert for a PS is a must.

Your video card will be the biggest bottleneck. Don't let the pci-e 3.0 and 2Gb fool you. That is an entry level card. I like toms hardware to get good comparisons on video cards.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

I would go with a minimum of the HD 7770 Ghz edition.

If the 40 extra bucks puts you over budget then do some trade offs.
Am I going to overclock the processor? No, then I dont need a 3570K.
Then if not OCing processor, do not absolutely need a Z77 MB.

Even if you do OC the processor later, the GT 640 will still be the bottleneck in games.
Thanks for the replies, I'm planning on using this comp to do mainly 3D gamming, but I use linux so I sometimes need to compile programs. My current computer is a core 2 duo which takes a freaking long time to do so. I'm hoping the i5 will really deliver in this aspect.

I was thinking of getting a HD 7770 after reading some reviews, but I'm skeptical of ATI cards. I run SC2 on wine atm on linux and ATI seems to have problems with SC2 so I would prefer an nvidia card. What would be nvidia's version of the 7770? I'm willing to pay about $30 more for the same specs for nvidia.

What is the 80+ bronze cert for a PSU, where do I look for it? I couldn't find any badges or anything on the website i'm planning to order from.

I guess I could fit in an SSD in my budget :D

my budget is around $1300 NZD (around $1100 USD)
If you are going to pay $30 more, get yourself a GTX 560 / HD 6870.
Hi
I'm building my own computer for the first time and would like some advice on the build I've planned.

Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP LGA1155 Sandy / Ivy Bridge Intel Z77 chipset mATX 4 X DDR3-DIMM, VGA/DVI/HDMI output,PCI-E3.0, Support ATI CorssFireX,SATA3, USB3.0,Raid

Western Digital 500GB 3.5" Black Edition SATA3 7200RPM 64MB Cache HDD , 5 Years warranty

Kingston DDR3 8GB 1600MHz Gaming Performance HyperX Memory Kit (2x4GB) CL9 Non-ECC Dimm

COOLER MASTER 525W eXtreme Power2 dual +12V outputs 3 Year Warranty

EVGA GeForce GT640 2GB DDR3 PCI-E 3.0 16X Video Card , DVI-I + DVI-D+ Mini HDMI , Single slot ( 3 Years warranty )

Are there any abvious bottlenecks in this system and what graphics settings could this build handle without ridiculous lag?(in 4v4s)
Is there something I could swap out for better value?

Thanks in advance

you need a better graphic card to be on par with 3570K. I went with the GTX 660
To be honest, depending on how large the programs your compiling are, and how important the time constraints are you can always get the graphics card later if you wish to get a little bit better CPU.

I'm currently using an Ivy Bridge i5 (for laptop), and it can run SC2 ~75fps in 1v1 on low graphics (~40fps on medium).

That being said, for ideal computer hardware setups (when comparing getting your bang for your buck) check out the forum here, there's a link floating around everywhere that links to the WoW forum computer help. It has recommend builds, that are certainly compatible.

Also, just a note about ATI cards... I hate to sound loyal or anything (I'm not really), but I've been using a Sapphire Radeon 5770HD for the past 3 years and it's still running like a champ. The first one I received was DOA, and Newegg made me go through the manufacture to replace, which they shipped it immediately after receiving confirmation from Newegg, as well as they gave me a $20 gift certificate for the trouble.
Kingston DDR3 8GB 1600MHz Gaming Performance HyperX Memory Kit (2x4GB) CL9 Non-ECC
Dont use kingston. They have reliability issues. I recommend Corsair Vengeance LP
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

COOLERMASTER 525W eXtreme Power2 dual +12V outputs 3 Year Warranty
Dont use a PSU that isnt built by either Corsair or Antec. These are the only 2 i have never even seen one fail that didnt take years to happen. (i use this exact psu. and have installed it in multiple builds for family/friends)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

GeForce GT640 2GB DDR3 PCI-E 3.0 16X Video Card , DVI-I + DVI-D+ Mini HDMI , Single slot ( 3 Years warranty )
Ati has much more bang for the buck currently. The 7750 is your best bet in that price range.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125417

And just some of my personal opinions. Ivy Bridge is a waste. Really no need. And that processor will out pace any video card under $220. Going with a lower grade Sandy Bridge I5 will give you all the performance you need. AND you could get something like a 7870 etc.
z68 Gives great performance and is "future proof" as far as upgrading to a i7 ivy bridge later on if needed.

I would suggest a SSD as a boot/gaming drive. 100-120gb should be plenty for windows a couple games.
GT640 is probably the weakest component...