[Feature Request] Server-side bank files

Editor Discussion
Great idea. Necrobump!
bump. BLIZZARD Y U NO SUPPORT?
I think the main thing that should be considered implantation-wise is allowing the bank to be saved often or in burst in mid-game without a big drawback.

1) For example, let's say each of the 12 players finished a level and the map want to save the progress of all 12 players simultaneously, it need to be supported without some horrible sudden lag.

2) Another case might be maps that allow to customize some units heavily and then store them into a bank.

It's a case likely to reach the 1 MB bank limit with multiple players editing at the same time. Logically, there would be a save each time the player would click "Save changes" for their modified unit and a potential 1 MB bank have to be transferred and stored each time.

EDIT : The Blizzard code needed would probably need some "commit changes" style which would only change the differences as sending back full 1 MB banks all the time is likely to ruin server-side banks.

EDIT 2 : Probably will require that sent bank differences can be sent over time (in case of big changes) rather than potentially hanging/lagging the game.
Well, at least it's official:
Sadly there will be no server-side bank files any time soon.

For the next week Blizzard will have their hands full to fix all the bugs pre and post launch.
While it's one of the most wanted features of some of the top tier map makers (I just heard this info second hand tho), it's sadly not really on a priority list for Blizzard.

I wonder how much arcade games are actually played in comparison to melee tho.

::Hone:
I addressed all those issues in previous posts. There are way better implementations ofc, but I'm a little to lazy to bring fully fleshed out technical details here, to be honest :).

PS: I am posting this with my main account now (EU) because my old one is no longer really active and I transferred all game licenses to this one because of cross regional play.
+1. Client-side banks can be abused so easily that some people try to stay away from using them, but we know some cool ideas must work with banks.
It will greatly increase the data traffic of servers, compared with it, the disk size is not a problem at all.
But +1, BLZ can add some features like add a cooldown to user's access, and a cap to data that acquired every time in order to avoid such problems.
Holy mother of Necro, but, +1 pls blizz

ESPECIALLY with Starcraft Universe coming soon
bump
Make it happen. Banks are too easy to hack. Even the well-encrypted and/or hashed bank files are nothing, when you know how to use an MPQ Editor (as ANY Blizzard game hacker should know how to use, even from back in the original Diablo's day), after unprotecting the map (which, BW and WC3, even with all their fan-made protection algorithms, none were even locked well - and SC2 is no exception to this).

It's sad that we need to protect against the abuse, but ... It's too easy.

Even then, there will be cheaters (People who are fluent with CE or TSearch or Artmoney, etc ... People who run trainers in single-player mode, even online - as Blizzard does not seem to detect those), but this will cut, quite literally, the majority. And literally 99% of the rest can be stopped by the map maker not allowing single-player lobbies/games to persist (save often, if others leave, the lone player should be immediately invalidated).
Any other cheating would involve either a) multiple computers and exquisite timing, or hacking into Blizzard's servers lol. Literally 99.9% of cheaters would be stopped...

We need this.
I've been researching this very problem and have come up dry with any response from Blizzard.

Can a Blue please look into this? We also have not heard anything about the Arcade Match-making and marketplace that were promised some years ago, which would both benefit from being able to store Arcade map data server-side.

I'm looking to develop two new maps for the Arcade that would be quite substantial, but am reluctant to do so without any word from Blizzard on whether they are supporting us mapmakers with this. This is because my maps (and likely many others) depend on some kind of server-side storage to offer a truly collaborative experience. Features such as being able to create user environments within the map, having a global leaderboard/high score list, and being able to capture other statistics about how people are playing the map.
This idea is legit. +1
07/18/2017 11:45 AMPosted by Bleiser
This idea is legit. +1

yup, but look at the date of OP, Blizzard couldn't care less about the Arcade, that much has been proven time and time again.
07/24/2017 10:32 AMPosted by CaveOfWondrs
07/18/2017 11:45 AMPosted by Bleiser
This idea is legit. +1

yup, but look at the date of OP, Blizzard couldn't care less about the Arcade, that much has been proven time and time again.

I know, I was just bumping because it's still relevant but whatever, they won't even be seeing this side of forums at all if they even visit forums at all. Simply distributing their editor assets would revive arcade but they aren't doing !@#$...
07/25/2017 02:05 PMPosted by Bleiser
07/24/2017 10:32 AMPosted by CaveOfWondrs

I know, I was just bumping because it's still relevant but whatever, they won't even be seeing this side of forums at all if they even visit forums at all. Simply distributing their editor assets would revive arcade but they aren't doing !@#$...

The SC2 arcade was a huge missed opportunity imo, the editor is very powerful compared to the war3 one, but the way they handled the entire thing, from the popularity system, to the UI design, etc. was just terrible and doomed it.

Not to mention the support for the "hero" system (inventory, level abilities, etc.) wasn't there at the start and its later implementation was inefficient to work with when you compare to how easy it was in war3.

But, all the aside, the arcade can attract a lot of new players AND keep them if they work on it a little bit, and most importantly, advertise it properly. Most people i know aren't even aware that the arcade can be accessed for free.

They can even have a generic match making for the arcade games, solely based on wins/defeat ratio, since each game manages it's own way of awarding a victory/defeat to players.