Why do you need broadband to play SC2?

General Discussion
When I monitored bandwidth usage on a 4v4 game, I had an average of 15.2kbps download and 4kbps upload for a 15 minute game. Even if we were assuming actual internet speeds are 10% of their theoretical advertised values, how do my recorded values even get close to the speeds delivered by broadband? With these requirements, shouldn't starcraft be playable on less expensive internet plans?
11/12/2012 09:06 PMPosted by tenftcoke
When I monitored bandwidth usage on a 4v4 game, I had an average of 15.2kbps download and 4kbps upload for a 15 minute game. Even if we were assuming actual internet speeds are 10% of their theoretical advertised values, how do my recorded values even get close to the speeds delivered by broadband? With these requirements, shouldn't starcraft be playable on less expensive internet plans?

What gave you the idea in the first place that it was not playable on cheaper internet plans?

But there are big patch downloads.
11/12/2012 09:11 PMPosted by Toortanga

What gave you the idea in the first place that it was not playable on cheaper internet plans?

Umm, because Blizzard states a broadband internet connection is needed on the SC2 box?
just try patching on dial up.
Well dialup 56k and satellite would not cut it, but I'm pretty sure 95% of everything else offered would be fine.

The standards group CCITT defined "broadband service" in 1988 as requiring transmission channels capable of supporting bit rates greater than the primary rate which ranged from about 1.5 to 2 Mbit/s.

Umm, because Blizzard states a broadband internet connection is needed on the SC2 box?

And everything except for dial-up is broadband. You've probably never used anything other than broadband if you're under 20 even if you thought your internet was horrendously slow.

Broadband internet does not mean "fast" internet. It did 15 years ago maybe. Not anymore.