No Offracing Allowed

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 15 Next
This is war.

Pick a side.

A war?

THIS IS STARCRAFT!!

Σ(゚∀´(┗┐ヽ(・∀・ )ノ
Don, if you could come up with a better, more clever solution... I would be TOTALLY for this change. It's a very cool idea... But there are simply too many problems with the current idea for me to support it. And I doubt Blizzard will either.

There has to be a way to get evenly matched opponents while offracing through the match system on one account. That's all I'm saying. This needs to happen, one way or another. We simply don't have the option as things are now.

Restrictions: You can go to any league below your own on Ranked, and only one higher.

Good idea. See, IndigO, the thread is already generating a productive and noticeable brainstorm. Mission part 1 accomplished.

I'm glad! :D!

But at the same time, the US needs to get rid of it's deficit. One way or another, this needs to happen.
But nothing is going to happen unless someone comes up with an idea. (Not a political discussion, just an analogy).
Similarly, this idea won't prosper unless someone comes up with an idea; none of the ideas address the issue of overcomplexity and convolution of the ladder system.

The one thing that does make sense is:
11/01/2012 04:09 PMPosted by Dacder
What if we had a separate MMR for each race in the unranked option?

So I'll agree to that. Unless someone can come up with some grand scheme to get this idea rolling on the ranked ladder.
But nothing is going to happen unless someone comes up with an idea. (Not a political discussion, just an analogy).
Similarly, this idea won't prosper unless someone comes up with an idea; none of the ideas address the issue of overcomplexity and convolution of the ladder system.

I'm not a game designer, IndigO. I understand balance, gameplay, and communication within the community and with Blizzard.

But that's just it, isn't it? Let's pull the community and Blizzard together and solve this very relevant problem that's limiting our overall ladder experience.

So I'll agree to that. Unless someone can come up with some grand scheme to get this idea rolling on the ranked ladder.

Limit the separate ranking of each race to 1v1. In team games you get 3 MMR's (1 for 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4). 1v1, which is what the game is built around, should arguably have just as many MMRs as team games.
[quote][quote]
The one thing that does make sense is:
What if we had a separate MMR for each race in the unranked option?

Yay, you liked my idea!

Also, I think we would have to wait, if unranked ladder takes off, then it could be a fine solution, if not, we would need to think of a way to get it on regular ladder.

I'm not a game designer, IndigO. I understand balance, gameplay, and communication within the community and with Blizzard.

But that's just it, isn't it? Let's pull the community and Blizzard together and solve this very relevant problem that's limiting our overall ladder experience.

Sounds like a plan. Guess I misinterpreted the point of the thread. To me, it sounded like a: "PLZ BLIZZARD I WANT THIS! Give me now." without any sort of open discussion. The discussion was directed more towards the game designers rather than us as a community to figure out... Might want to clear that up ;).
So my mistake, carry on, brothers!

Limit the separate ranking of each race to 1v1. In team games you get 3 MMR's (1 for 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4). 1v1, which is what the game is built around, should arguably have just as many MMRs as team games.

What about players who would like to off race in high level team games?
Wait, why can't we off-race?
Sounds like a plan. Guess I misinterpreted the point of the thread. To me, it sounded like a: "PLZ BLIZZARD I WANT THIS! Give me now." without any sort of open discussion. The discussion was directed more towards the game designers rather than us as a community to figure out... Might want to clear that up ;).
So my mistake, carry on, brothers!

Thought this in bold would have made it clear. It's been there since before my first edit.

11/01/2012 03:23 PMPosted by Doncroft
My fellow gamers, I am asking Starcraft's design team to try to find a way for us to offrace at any time, against equally skilled opponents, on a single account.

You know me, IndigO. I'd never propose a change that I thought wouldn't benefit the game and the community. If it were just me, I'd be happy with what I already have, but we're dreaming big right now. Let's GO big.
So like the unranked matches in HoTS?
You know me, IndigO. I'd never propose a change that I thought wouldn't benefit the game and the community. If it were just me, I'd be happy with what I already have, but we're dreaming big right now. Let's GO big.

Asking the design team sounds like you're just saying: "Darn it Blizzard, figure it out.", in my opinion. Whatever, do as you may! As long as everyone else understands.

Lets go big Doncroft. I'm talking Freedom Tower BIG.

11/01/2012 04:28 PMPosted by VIPER
So like the unranked matches in HoTS?

The idea is to manipulate ranked matches so that players could offrace and play versus similarly skilled players all the time. At the moment, your MMR is based off of your main race, so if you offrace, you immediately are playing versus players beyond your offracing ability.
Everyone, everyone....now that this has been figured out, how about we all congratulate me on having such an awesome idea?
11/01/2012 04:30 PMPosted by IndigO
Asking the design team sounds like you're just saying: "Darn it Blizzard, figure it out.", in my opinion. Whatever, do as you may! As long as everyone else understands.

Could you point out a specific line, maybe, that lends a selfish tone of voice that might detriment the argument? If you do, I might edit it for clarity.
11/01/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Doncroft

Could you point out a specific line, maybe, that lends a selfish tone of voice that might detriment the argument? If you do, I might edit it for clarity.

It's honestly just the fact that say that you're "asking Starcraft's design team" to figure it out that threw me off:
My fellow gamers, I am asking Starcraft's design team to try to find a way for us to offrace at any time, against equally skilled opponents, on a single account.
Perhaps changing the wording so that it seems more community discussion oriented instead of just asking for support to ask the design team to figure it out would clear it up.

Either way, it's fine Don, just leave it. Good post, good idea, now let's brainstorm!

11/01/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Dacder
Everyone, everyone....now that this has been figured out, how about we all congratulate me on having such an awesome idea?
Dacder, you are a man among men.
11/01/2012 04:36 PMPosted by IndigO
Perhaps changing the wording so that it seems more community discussion oriented instead of just asking for support to ask the design team to figure it out would clear it up.

Thank you. Consider it done.

My fellow gamers, I believe if Starcraft's design team can find a way for us to offrace at any time, against equally skilled opponents, on a single account, it would greatly boost the success of this game as well as our enjoyment of it as a community.

How's that?
I can off-race a Protoss just fine.
[

Dacder, you are a man among men.
Brilliant, I'll have to use that some time. Although I would say "amongst" rather than "among", because I'm cool like that. XD
Doesnt unranked track your MMR but it just isnt as rigid as ranked?

Thats what I thought it was.

I honestly couldn't tell you. Only that I'm getting my butt kicked whenever I play Terran. And I only play Terran unranked. Not Protoss or Zerg.
I forgot what to say. Crap.

So now we have sixteen (4 races*4 leagues (1v1, 2v2, etc)) separate MMRs for each account AND sixteen separate League ranks per account?

How about it only applies to 1v1. No need to have separate league ranking in team games IMO.

actually that happens already.

Say I start playing 2v2 with Doncroft and drag him down to the abyss of bronze.
Then I sweet talk viper into play 2v2 and he carries me to gold.
Frustrated I start grabbing folks from bacon to play teams with me
Heretic gets me to silver says "Damn it make some workers next time"
Guldhor gets me to plat "why...why did you worker rush?"
etc

so I can play a set race with each person if I want each ladder is seperate I could be Plat with one person bronze with another. Teams are random and ladder is a mess.

Can I get a show of hands of folk who have seen a team in say silver but when looking at their account the are Diamond 2v2 by themselves.