No Offracing Allowed

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 15 Next
11/01/2012 06:50 PMPosted by xNCoMeT
The problem with this is you could have one smurf race that you keep in bronze by dropping games

People currently smurf by dropping games. As long as there is a system, somebody will exploit/cheat/game the system to their liking. Smurfing would probably be no worse then than it is now.
So TheDon is saying he wishes the player to have 4 separate rankings per ladder type bound to each account, ranked separately for Zerg, toss, random, and Terran?

That would be great! I don't much like choosing between my 3v3 or 4v4 rank as the designated "trial & error" league.

Awesome wicked awesome concept, gogo blizzard go! Do it do it
I feel like such a joad for not contemplating this idea already.
Brilliant Don!
This would keep me interested in staying active well beyond the new leveling system even would.
I will be detrimentally distressed if there is no blizzard response to this thread within the next few days.

I endorse TheDon's message!!!
Would it be fair for people who paid money for smurfs?

Wouldn't Blizzard rather people buy multiple accounts?

If you really enjoy the game, then the $40 isn't that much for the time and satisfaction you get. Starcraft 2 really does replace other games (or hobbies) you would end up spending much more money for smaller amount of time they provide, so with that perspective the $40 is very little in the end. Although upgrading multiple smurfs could be quite painful when HotS comes out. It would be cool to have a discount for people who own 1 account to buy another, but that goes back to the first and second question.
I'm really skeptical giving everyone 3 accounts to smurf/troll with is a good idea. Is there any way we could limit this somehow? I really don't have any good ideas to do so, I'm hoping someone else does.

Not saying the current situation is great, I'd probably like this too, but I don't want it to ruin the ladder.

It also is sort of nice right now on the other hand. You declare your race and have to basically stick to it. I understand the desire for this not to be the case, but I hope you understand why it's also a good thing. It makes race is a meaningful choice, even if the reason it's meaningful is convoluted. I say this as someone who went from T->Z and dropped to plat long ago.
I'm really skeptical giving everyone 3 accounts to smurf/troll with is a good idea. Is there any way we could limit this somehow? I really don't have any good ideas to do so, I'm hoping someone else does.

That's already being addressed and brainstorm. See the bottom of the OP.
11/01/2012 06:57 PMPosted by Daerbon
The problem with this is you could have one smurf race that you keep in bronze by dropping games

People currently smurf by dropping games. As long as there is a system, somebody will exploit/cheat/game the system to their liking. Smurfing would probably be no worse then than it is now.

which is why random should no longer be its own ladder instead goes off the individual races leagues and you can only be 1-2 leagues lower then your highest. So if you want to smurf bronze you would have to drop leagues with ALL races to silver/gold for one to be in bronze.

Granted this would still allow abuse, but should discourage some.
How much of Battle.net's servers goes into calculating MMR, performing match-making, storing that information, etc? I could see how Blizzard would be hesitant to make this change if it would be prohibitively expensive/complicated to suddenly increase the volume of that information by a factor of three.
How much of Battle.net's servers goes into calculating MMR, performing match-making, storing that information, etc? I could see how Blizzard would be hesitant to make this change if it would be prohibitively expensive/complicated to suddenly increase the volume of that information by a factor of three.

Only for 1v1. It shouldn't be a problem, considering every single premade team has its own MMR.
11/01/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Doncroft
That's already being addressed and brainstorm. See the bottom of the OP.

Quite right, apologies. I was following this thread off and on all day, I didn't re-read the OP before posting.

The two leagues apart idea seems decent, though that's still enough room to troll.(without getting into implementation quirkiness)

Every idea I consider seems to have too many negatives to be viable, so that's the best one I've seen. I'd probably suggest limiting it to one league if that's what ends up happening. If you're diamond main race, you should be able to hold your own offrace against plat. If not, you can get demoted. That seems fair to me.
+1

I'd love 3 separate MMRs for different races, and I already know all my friends I play with feel the same way. Wouldn't object to limitations such as a 2 league range either.
I feel as though my post on page 4 is being ignored.
11/01/2012 07:48 PMPosted by OceanFlex

I hadn't seen it. That's the "quirkiness" I was talking about. I like where you're going with it(one "real" ladder rank), that's definetely the direction I think it should go if this happens.

Not sure I like the idea of showing it pre-game, but I definitely like the gist. Don't worry too much about the nitty gritty, there's people at blizzard for that, they just need inspiration.

I hadn't seen it. That's the "quirkiness" I was talking about. I like where you're going with it(one "real" ladder rank), that's definetely the direction I think it should go if this happens.

Not sure I like the idea of showing it pre-game, but I definitely like the gist. Don't worry too much about the nitty gritty, there's people at blizzard for that, they just need inspiration.

That's why I re-posted.

Yeah, I think I went into waay to much detail for fear of being shot down. Blizzard can figure it all out, I'm just saying how I think it could work, without testing and such. I'm just one person, not a company.

Also, with regards to forum etiquette, should I make my own thread to avoid hijacking, or just leave up my massive, OP-level post?
i would love it if all the game severs would be on one game so you do need to buy 4 games to play on all the diffract game severs
11/01/2012 08:07 PMPosted by OceanFlex
Also, with regards to forum etiquette, should I make my own thread to avoid hijacking, or just leave up my massive, OP-level post?

Brainstorming ways to make 3 ladders work without being super trollable is the goal of the topic. You were correct to draw more attention to it...it got stuck at the bottom of a page, I hate when that happens.

11/01/2012 08:08 PMPosted by GHOST
i would love it if all the game severs would be on one game so you do need to buy 4 games to play on all the diffract game severs

Fear not, this has already been promised at or around the release of HotS in some form.
11/01/2012 08:19 PMPosted by Slurf
Brainstorming ways to make 3 ladders work without being super trollable is the goal of the topic. You were correct to draw more attention to it...it got stuck at the bottom of a page, I hate when that happens.

Good to know. It also prevents me from a CoC infraction of Cross Linking Threads (though, the CoC is unclear).

Edited because I hit the close parenthesis after the period. I'm as OCD as computers when it comes to formatting.

2nd.
11/01/2012 07:54 PMPosted by Slurf
Not sure I like the idea of showing it pre-game, but I definitely like the gist.
I thought that the league badge was shown during loading. I haven't laddered in a while. I suppose the "heavily favored" bar might be split into race favored and general favored. My mistake. I guess I gotta edit my 1st post again...
I decided to play random for the beta since it was beta and the purpose is to try the new units. At first I had no clue what I was doing when playing Zerg or Protoss, but now after watching Filtersc, Day[9]'s Optober series on newbie Tuesday, I've successfully brought my Zerg and Protoss up to my diamond-plat Terran skill level, it did take some work but it's a very proud accomplishment of mine that I did it.

So I'm actually kind of glad there's no off-race option, luckily though there is an un-ranked game-mode
11/01/2012 03:23 PMPosted by Doncroft
I don't care about rank. I care about having equally skilled opponents.
I agree. As a platinum Zerg, I want platinum/diamond opponents when I play Zerg. But if I want to play Terran or Protoss, I don't want to play a platium player because I get crushed!