Why do the pro gamers wear ear buds+headsets?

General Discussion
Question's in the title
It is ear bud + muffler thing in order to block sound from the spectators and the casters while in the game.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong :)
While I'm no pro gamer my best assumption would be what fingr stated above or:
headphones for in game sound and to mute the caster, ear buds for their own music.
It is ear bud + muffler thing in order to block sound from the spectators and the casters while in the game.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong :)
aren't they in a "soundproof" booth?
They are in a soundproof booth, but even still, it does not block out all sound. They wear the headset and buds for optimal sound (despite it potentially being incredibly uncomfortable).
The earbuds have either music or white noise and the headset plays the game sounds.
11/07/2012 10:07 PMPosted by FinnTheHuman
The earbuds have either music or white noise and the headset plays the game sounds.

I think it's the other way around. The headsets are usually noise-cancelling to block out the crowd (I actually have ear protection for shooting that is made by the same company that makes the headsets they use in the GSL.)

Regardless, it is so one is playing game-sounds and the other is blocking out the crowd. If you've ever been to a tournament you know how ridiculously loud they can get, so while the booths are sound-proofed enough that they can't hear people during a lot of the game, when things get wild they absolutely can.

It makes it so they don't have to type "that's just halo" when they make a mothership and their opponent hears the crowd screaming at the top of their lungs.
11/07/2012 10:10 PMPosted by GameOfDrones

I think it's the other way around. The headsets are usually noise-cancelling to block out the crowd (I actually have ear protection for shooting that is made by the same company that makes the headsets they use in the GSL.)

Regardless, it is so one is playing game-sounds and the other is blocking out the crowd. If you've ever been to a tournament you know how ridiculously loud they can get, so while the booths are sound-proofed enough that they can't hear people during a lot of the game, when things get wild they absolutely can.

Ah, yes. My mistake.
11/07/2012 09:40 PMPosted by PotatoLiSK
They are in a soundproof booth, but even still, it does not block out all sound. They wear the headset and buds for optimal sound (despite it potentially being incredibly uncomfortable).

Did it earlier while playing D&D over skype and L4D wasn't too bad really

And i suppose it makes sense
11/07/2012 10:15 PMPosted by Streetguru

Note to self: new tabletop game idea, D&D&Z
11/07/2012 10:16 PMPosted by GameOfDrones

Note to self: new tabletop game idea, D&D&Z

Pretty sure thats called greyhawk
It's to block out the sound of the audience and casters, which can get really loud. In Brood War there was an incident where Boxer's marines were about to walk over Stop Lurkers (like burrowed Banelings) when someone in the audience screamed out in suspenseful anguish and Boxer stopped his marines and turned around for no apparent reason.

There were a few incidents where it appeared there was 'ear hacking' going on and it eventually led to how things are now with the extra headset to block sound from the audience and casters to avoid both being distracted and 'ear hacking' incidents.
cuz they look BAWSS
It's to block out the sound of the audience and casters, which can get really loud. In Brood War there was an incident where Boxer's marines were about to walk over Stop Lurkers (like burrowed Banelings) when someone in the audience screamed out in suspenseful anguish and Boxer stopped his marines and turned around for no apparent reason.

There were a few incidents where it appeared there was 'ear hacking' going on and it eventually led to how things are now with the extra headset to block sound from the audience and casters to avoid both being distracted and 'ear hacking' incidents.

So why don't they just double the thickness of the sound proof booths

So why don't they just double the thickness of the sound proof booths

There's probably a drop off in efficiency (i.e. doubling the padding of the booths doesn't necessarily double its effectiveness), and having each competitor supplement with their own noise cancelling ear muffs is more cost effective.
11/07/2012 10:10 PMPosted by GameOfDrones
It makes it so they don't have to type "that's just halo" when they make a mothership and their opponent hears the crowd screaming at the top of their lungs.

So that's what "that's just halo" means.
There was a video on youtube with a 'tour' of MLG's booths.

The booth had white noise blaring, the big headsets play music and the earbuds have the game sound. I wonder what kind of hearing damage these folks are going to suffer from later in life.

edit:
found the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ELQrGtWnI
There was a video on youtube with a 'tour' of MLG's booths.

The booth had white noise blaring, the big headsets play music and the earbuds have the game sound. I wonder what kind of hearing damage these folks are going to suffer from later in life.

edit:
found the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ELQrGtWnI

Random music seems kind of bad.
I swear Naniwa was tipped off by the crowd noise in game 7 vs. Flash at MLG. Flash sets up an 11-11 right in the middle of the map. Naniwa's probe misses the scout, but then heads up to check the middle. Could be a coincidence, but he redirects the probe, spots the cheese, but still loses to it.