Mech seems OP vs Zerg

General Discussion
Took on two armies of Roaches/Infestors with Thors/Hellions/Tanks. Came out on top with 3 Thors left, couldn't believe it. It was a two pronged attack too and some of my tanks were out of position.

Wouldn't dream of doing it with Protoss....I think there is no way to counter this as Zerg except with gg lords and winfestors.
1v1 or team game?

Isn't early/midgame vulnerability a big weakness of mech, not its pure steamrolling power at the end?
Please let us not fall back into the whole, "this one or two games determines the entire state of balance in sc2" thing again
11/12/2012 05:52 PMPosted by poochie
winfestors.
11/12/2012 05:55 PMPosted by zappy
Please let us not fall back into the whole, "this one or two games determines the entire state of balance in sc2" thing again

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7006347229
11/12/2012 05:56 PMPosted by VIPER

viper, i already have a headache that has yet to leave me due to my activities last night, i'm hoping for simplicity and a lack of hidden trolling related motives.
wait.

you have no 1v1s played...

Is this team games?

if so, then LOL.
It's not. You just get a bunch of brood lords and infestors. A-move the broods, fungal the vikings and spam infested Terrans.
11/12/2012 05:54 PMPosted by blitz
Isn't early/midgame vulnerability a big weakness of mech, not its pure steamrolling power at the end?

In early game, a meching terran is really weak compared to a bio terran because they have to rely on unupgraded marines with some hellion support to defend any pushes from Zerg. A roach push during the time period which terran has no tank support and still building infrastructure can be a GG.

After securing a 3rd and increasing gas production, mech's strength really start to shine. Zerg is also in an awkward transitioning period from lair to hive tech, relying on a high ling/roach or even muta and infestor (if there are infestors, they're in very low numbers) to defend against a mech army of doom. By camping outside the zerg's base and pushing in using the stopping power of tanks, a terran can choke off a zerg and set up for a game-winning push. Unofrtunately, since mech armies are expensive and slow, Terran can only afford to push out 2-3 times in the midgame. Flanks and counterattacks on infrastructure can still be annoying, but you don't want to baserace a terran.

During lategame, Zerg starts to get potent units like BLs and a high infestor count. BLs screw over mech because they make tanks irrelevant and useless supply, while IT's DPS minces a mech army. Start viking production too late and it's usually GG for terran, not much he can get back at.

No matter how want to engage a seiged mech position, it's always gonna end up ugly for you, especially using low-tier units like roaches and lings.

However, it's team games, so a lot of what I just said is irrelevant
Its about to get a major buff in HotS with Battle Hellions. Prepare your !@#$.
11/12/2012 07:44 PMPosted by Kanuck
Its about to get a major buff in HotS with Battle Hellions. Prepare your !@#$.
I'd love to, but blizzard keeps trolling me about beta keys.
11/12/2012 05:52 PMPosted by poochie
I think there is no way to counter this as Zerg except with gg lords and winfestors.

so let me get this straight....

IT CAN NOT BE COUNTERED!!!!!........

without using 2 readily available units that the zerg already has.

ok then
Why is everyone surprised he won that engagement. Not every terrans better choice is bio. The zerg was probably surprised that he can couldn't a-move against your army that he decided to mix in roaches which is terrible vs tanks and thors. He was probably staring at the screen dumbfounded like this "Wait......... I cant a-move with banelings and expect terran to split with 200 apm UNBALANCED LET ME GO TO FORUMS."
12/17/2014 04:21 PMPosted by BeeHiVe
Why is everyone surprised he won that engagement. Not every terrans better choice is bio. The zerg was probably surprised that he can couldn't a-move against your army that he decided to mix in roaches which is terrible vs tanks and thors. He was probably staring at the screen dumbfounded like this "Wait......... I cant a-move with banelings and expect terran to split with 200 apm UNBALANCED LET ME GO TO FORUMS."

Why is it that the necro post is always utterly retarded?
Seems to be a pattern.
I feel it's an honor to have your own thread necro'd.
It'll be worse in LotV when Swarm Hosts get changed into "harassment units".
12/17/2014 06:34 PMPosted by Migrax
It'll be worse in LotV when Swarm Hosts get changed into "harassment units".

I think with ravens and swarm hosts gimped, Mech TvZ has the potential to become good again. Though, it really depends how things go in the beta. The ravager and lurker in conjunction with the cyclone should make things interesting.
12/17/2014 06:39 PMPosted by Raver
I think with ravens and swarm hosts gimped, Mech TvZ has the potential to become good again. Though, it really depends how things go in the beta. The ravager and lurker in conjunction with the cyclone should make things interesting.

Zerg needs Swarm Hosts to put pressure on mech. Lurkers are too passive and get outranged by tanks.
This mech vs Swarm Host game with Jaedong asnd Gumiho was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYI8mfBSSf4