4 Gate build order.

Protoss Discussion
Hey guy's,

I am new to protoss and was wondering if you guys could give me the build order for the 4 gate as i want to try and master 1 base rush play as toss and climb up the rank's, i'm originally a zerg player but i like toss as well.

thank's.
9 - Pylon
12 - Gateway + Probe Scout
14 - Assimilator
16 - Pylon
@100% Gateway: Cybernetics Core, Zealot
@100% Zealot: 21 Stalker
@100% Cybernetics Core: Warpgate Research
@50% Warpgate Research: 3 Gateways (4 total)
@90% Warpgate Research: Proxy Pylon
See also:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/4_Warpgate_Rush#Build_Order
From Sidewinder's build order thread (one of the first few posts):

6 Pylon
Kill 2 probes
4 Gate
You should know how to 4 gate by now.

9 pylon
1 chrono on probes
12 gate
13/14 gas
Cyber core when gate finishes, chrono warp gate until it finishes
make 1 zealot and 2 stalkers
Make 3 more gates when you can afford it
Warp !@#$ in and attack.

*Cut at 20 probes.

One of the most simple builds this game has to offer.
You won't get too far with the 4Gate anymore. The 4Gate teaches very little, and dependence on the 4Gate is extremely detrimental to your gameplay.

The first time you learn the 4Gate and start exploiting people's lacks of skill in defending it, you will get high into Diamond at most. However, at a certain point, roughly 66% of your games will be losses. You will advance no further than mid-high Diamond League.

Also, your experience with the game will get extremely boring and repetitive. What's so exciting about doing the same damn opening all the time when you can try a bunch of new strategies? There's the PvP DT Opening. There's Parting's Triple Nexus PvT! There's Sidewinder's High-tech Stargate PvZ play!! You can't have pancakes everyday, or else you'll get sick and become malnourished!
From Sidewinder's build order thread (one of the first few posts):

6 Pylon
Kill 2 probes
4 Gate

Hahahahahaha.
I don't really 4gate anymore, since the timings are too well known and can be easily countered with a 3-stalker rush.
4gate is cheese. L2Macro.
well since we're here, talk to me about 4 gate counters. i saw 3 stalker rush already. if you scout it early, can you just make sentries and force field several times in a row until your immo is out? if you're doing a standard robo build, do you have enough units for a good ramp split when it hits?
You won't get too far with the 4Gate anymore. The 4Gate teaches very little, and dependence on the 4Gate is extremely detrimental to your gameplay.

The first time you learn the 4Gate and start exploiting people's lacks of skill in defending it, you will get high into Diamond at most. However, at a certain point, roughly 66% of your games will be losses. You will advance no further than mid-high Diamond League.

Also, your experience with the game will get extremely boring and repetitive. What's so exciting about doing the same damn opening all the time when you can try a bunch of new strategies? There's the PvP DT Opening. There's Parting's Triple Nexus PvT! There's Sidewinder's High-tech Stargate PvZ play!! You can't have pancakes everyday, or else you'll get sick and become malnourished!

I disagree very much on this. It teaches everything you need to know as toss for a Bronze player.

Keep your tech hidden, Do not let him know your strategy, know what he is doing, adjust, exploit, and have an exit plan if exploit fails.
Dryhumper

well since we're here, talk to me about 4 gate counters. i saw 3 stalker rush already. if you scout it early, can you just make sentries and force field several times in a row until your immo is out? if you're doing a standard robo build, do you have enough units for a good ramp split when it hits?

There's this build that my masters level friend taught me called a 2gate robo expand or so.

After you get the cyber core finished, immediately make the robotics facility and chrono out the immortal. Make the 2nd gateway after the first robo. Generally, your robo should be finished at about the 4:00-4:10 mark. Make the first immortal ASAP, and chrono it out. Make sentries, stalkers, and zealots (whatever you have the money for) along the way and keep making immortals, and defend your ramp. If you've already expo'd, you might need to sac it; generally you shouldn't expo until after your opponent's push is thwarted. Depending on how much your opponent commits and how he responds, you can either expo or get the colossus tech early and just flat out crush your opponent after his initial 4gate fails. It's also a reliable fast expo build if your opponent isn't doing a 1 base all in like a 4gate.
9 - Pylon
10 - Gateway
12 - Assimilator
16 - Pylon
@100% Gateway: Cybernetics Core + proxy probe
@100% Cybernetics Core: Stalker. Cut probes at 20 supply after stalker.
@100% Cybernetics Core: Warpgate Research
@450 Minerals : 3 Gateways (4 total)
@90% Warpgate Research: Proxy Pylon[/quote]

A much more fun 4-gate.

Bit cheesier too.

I disagree very much on this. It teaches everything you need to know as toss for a Bronze player.

Keep your tech hidden, Do not let him know your strategy, know what he is doing, adjust, exploit, and have an exit plan if exploit fails.

That's not one of the vital concepts of Starcraft though. Anyone can hide Tech. Anyone can hide strategy. What else does the 4Gate teach aside from cheese and basic micro? It's a coinflip build; either it works, or it completely fails. It's just like doing a Marine/SCV All-in to Masters.

The 4Gate is only good for rising in Rank, not improving crucial mechanics like upgrade spending, Macro Decisions for Protoss, and concepts of advanced strategies.
IMO, just 4 gate your way out of the lower leagues. Almost everybody sucks so much in those leagues that you can do the sloppiest 4 gate of all time and still win. There's no point in playing long macro games against opponents that basically sit in their base the whole game and do nothing. You might as well be playing against a chair. IMO, you only really learn the crucial mechanics of any race when you begin playing against competent opponents that can actually test your ability well. As of now, it's simply better to win the game in 7 minutes, not 25, and rank up.
3 gate rush is actually better than 4 gate rush since it hits earlier.

He'll be trying to get his 4 gate finished while ur in his base killin his doodz.
The poster above me is right, i like to think going on someone base with 3 or 4 zealots, early in game, this can really unbalance your opponent.

I think i've beaten many players with 2 marines that poped instanly.
Umm... Pylon, gate, gas, pylon, cyber, gate, gate, gate. May as well send all your probes with it. The strat is so known that you have to be a nooooby to lose to it these days.

PvP: 3gate robo is far superior.
PvT: Bunkers with repair can hold it well, but if T didn't FE, marauders melt you
PvZ: Are you serious? Zerg will just quit droning for 5 seconds to pump roaches as he sees you walking up his ramp.
Use 4gate in bronze, but go with robo-centered builds later on. By high silver/gold, most players will know how to see a 4gate coming and defend it. A failed 4gate is very difficult to recover from, and is almost always gg on your part.
Sure, the 4 gate does not work at the high levels, but it really helps the bronze and silvers who really need that push to get on their feet.