Rekatan High Masters Stream! - OFFLINE

Zerg Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 20 Next
Awesome I'll try to catch you on more. I like that you have you're streams saved though because I like to watch them when you're not on.
01/18/2013 12:55 PMPosted by thatGuyAgain
Awesome I'll try to catch you on more. I like that you have you're streams saved though because I like to watch them when you're not on.

Ah right on I'll make sure to save more of them! I think as they're currently set they cycle off periodically
Thanks!
Casting another ZvP swarmhost funtime! Then on to ze ladder to see what hatch tech burrow does to zvz :D
Im learning a lot watching you play right now..im struggling in HoTS as a bronze zerg player..not sure why but my wins come easier in WoL bronze..is there a reason for that do you think or just coincedence?
Id love to start using SH..I think ive used them like once..I see where they would be effective pushing your hydras out with a bunch of locust..even letting the locust tank a little bit.
01/18/2013 07:29 PMPosted by Ghostie
Im learning a lot watching you play right now..im struggling in HoTS as a bronze zerg player..not sure why but my wins come easier in WoL bronze..is there a reason for that do you think or just coincedence?

At bronze you don't have the mechanics to be able to experiment with the new units reliably, so that might be a part of it
That makes sense and if I dont have the mechanics to mess around with mine it would make sense I wouldnt have the mechanics to counter them as well.

Maybe ill play a lot of WoL until HoTS releases and by then ill have the mechanics down a bit better
From watching your stream, and your experience at casting various skill levels: at what skill level do you feel is the barrier for when Swarm Hosts (in the fashion that you use them) become viable.

I dont mind losing frequently when getting the hang of the new units, but it seems the costant repositioning, the control of two armies simultaneously (as you generally have your SH and Hydras attacking two different locations), the demand on positioning, and the macro ability behind all that is going to be a limiting factor for the unit.
From watching your stream, and your experience at casting various skill levels: at what skill level do you feel is the barrier for when Swarm Hosts (in the fashion that you use them) become viable.

I dont mind losing frequently when getting the hang of the new units, but it seems the costant repositioning, the control of two armies simultaneously (as you generally have your SH and Hydras attacking two different locations), the demand on positioning, and the macro ability behind all that is going to be a limiting factor for the unit.

I couldn't agree more... I think Blizzard's hope is that the swarm host will be viable for bronze - gold players as a stationary siege unit. The truth of it is though, the opponent can A+Move at bronze-gold and clear out the swarm hosts with ease. That said, based on the demand that I've been experiencing on my attention/multitasking, SH probably does not become viable until at least low diamond/high platinum.

That's not to say that a bronze player shouldn't strive to be great with SH though, because in the process of becoming good with SH, they will probably stop being a bronze player =P
Streaming for a few hours!
Back for another couple hours <3
Whoops forgot to update! classic rock day :D
Rekaton would you try to put locus from the swarm host in an overlord I read a post about them and would really like to know? (I thought about the idea after blizz said locus had untouched potential) i feel if you snuck a bunch a locus into the main they could do some serious damage, it would only take a few seconds for a higher level zerg to load and unload them from a cliff by said main. (map permitting)
I believe you can't load temporary units into overlords or nydus networks, so no broodlings, IT, or locusts.
01/20/2013 03:40 PMPosted by Collective
Rekaton would you try to put locus from the swarm host in an overlord I read a post about them and would really like to know? (I thought about the idea after blizz said locus had untouched potential) i feel if you snuck a bunch a locus into the main they could do some serious damage, it would only take a few seconds for a higher level zerg to load and unload them from a cliff by said main. (map permitting)

I haven't tried so I'm not certain if you can or not. Their life span though is short enough that your payout would be relatively low for the amount of APM you are expending.

Think about the process of dropping 8 hydras into someone's base - the amount of APM that uses compared to the amount of potential damage. Now imagine if you had to execute those same actions every 25 seconds in order to maintain the attack.
Yes I admit it is work but all you would need is one drop on an unexpecting player I believe it is 2 or 4 locus. (don't really know) how long do you think it would take to clear a mineral patch with 10-15 locus?
Alright twas a bad idea
I would say the best bet is to give it a try! I generally drop the swarmhost itself, or hydras while swarmhosts apply pressure to front door of 3rd/nat.

Hydras have room for all sorts of cute pickup/drop micro vs the inevitable zealot warpin. 1-2 swarmhosts on the other hand force the protoss player to divert an observer to deal with the pressure (soaking up quite a bit of their attention for relatively low investment, like dt harassment does to us).

Still though, while I can't confirm if locusts can be picked up in an overlord or not (will give it a try next time I'm in that situation!) I recommend you run with it yourself and see! If it's something that can be done you may prove us wrong :D