How to increase APM?

General Discussion
Now I am a high masters player (well when I used to take the game more seriousely but now just team games so probably have fallen off), but my APM averages about ~120.
I think what got me to masters is my understanding of the game and scouting information that allows me to prepare ahead.
I feel as if I get blindsided I am unable to multitask because my APM is too low, like for instance I want to make extra gates but Terran MMM are down at my natural ramp, if I look away and miss ff's I will die instantly, and all of a sudden boom a drop goes on in the main.
Now a fair reason could be that since my house is always freezing cold and as I play my hands become freezing cold. I can barely move my fingers fast enough.
In conclusion, how does one increase his APM?
Same boat as you; I play between 120-150APM while 90% of my opponents are usually exceeding 200+. It's fine for late-game deathball scenarios but multi-pronged attacks put the nail in the coffin.

The cold definitely affects hand speed -- I play in the basement to keep my computer cooled down (it turns any room into a furnace), and if my hands are freezing my APM drops about 25+. Taking a break every 1-2 games to let your hands warm up is definitely worth it.

Coffee is really helpful if you're able to brew it, both for the caffeine (which will increase your speed) and for the warmth. Alternatively, if you're sensitive to caffeine a fresh cup of tea works really well for your hands.

Overall the main thing that seems to increase APM speed is a mix of motivation to win, and the continual practice of executing repetitive tasks. When I first made it to Master league and gunned for top 8, my APMs would average between 150-175 every game because I was trying really hard to win. Nowadays I still try to win, but less so through mechanics (getting lazy).

If you find another good way of increasing APMs, please post back with any helpful tips. Good luck!
Muscle memory is the short and sweet answer. Being able to do everything without thinking will raise your APM more or less to how fast you can think/multitask.
you attach rakes to your fingers and sit in the "chair".

like this.

http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=408
Meaningless tasks really. Spamming control groups, or moving units excessively. It is useless, but the hope is when you need to move fast you will already be going at that speed, and can transition to actual useful actions.
The concept that "APM = skill" is the biggest misconception EVER to exist in competitive gaming. Consider bots, they have 20,000+ APM yet they aren't 1/10th as skilled as a human player. Same goes for human players: A player with 300 APM that is just spamming isn't near as good as someone who uses a mere 100 APM wisely.

Its not now much APM you have, its how you use what APM you have.
12/07/2012 11:13 AMPosted by tBz

Well yes. In this case, I think the OP is wondering about his peak effective APM. In the long term 'average APM,' what you said is true. In the moment like he described, getting dropped and pronged, higher APM would be skillful instead of useless.
The concept that "APM = skill" is the biggest misconception EVER to exist in competitive gaming. Consider bots, they have 20,000+ APM yet they aren't 1/10th as skilled as a human player. Same goes for human players: A player with 300 APM that is just spamming isn't near as good as someone who uses a mere 100 APM wisely.

You don't think, at a certain point, that you should have the APM to throw down gateways while controlling an army and keeping up with your macro? Sometimes the apm you have isn't enough, which is this case.
are these 200+ apm people doing meaningless spamming for the first three minutes that gives them a ~350 apm buffer that steadily drops throughout the game, while you have a spam-less, low apm count that rises throughtout the game?
It's not apm spam its to keep thier finger moving at a steady faste pace. Who have the advantage in a race a person already going over 60mph or a person starting for idle?
12/07/2012 11:13 AMPosted by tBz
Its not now much APM you have, its how you use what APM you have

Actually, if you play terran, your units get better the more APM you have as a direct relationship.