Why would you ever use Stalkers?

Protoss Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6
I thought stalkers are good in early game pvp, but what do i know?
01/08/2013 09:48 AMPosted by Ice
I thought stalkers are good in early game pvp, but what do i know?

After the early game, Stalkers are trash. They get ripped to shreds by Zealots. Immortals punch right through them, and Colossi demolish armies of Stalkers. Once Void Rays hit a critical mass, 8 Void Rays can take on like 20 Stalkers and probably win.
I am trying out Protoss this season (I main Terran) and I f-ing love stalkers. Blinking 12 into the back of your opponents base and then blinking back out before they can do anything about it is so much fun. In my first ladder game as protoss I blinked into to back of my opponent's base killed a few probes and pylons then kited his zealots (they had charge, but it didn't do much good) out of the base and around to where my observer had high ground vision, then blinked back into the base and then high ground stutter stepped back around to the ramp, reversed and blinked out. And this was after neutering their attempted 4 gate with a 3 stalker opening.

Also, kiting down marines is fun and funny and they work so well with zealots that my only complaint is that they lack DPS for cost. But with micro (easier than kiting with barracks units) I am getting such good cost efficiency out of them that I can't complain.
Ummm
If they are so bad, why are they used so much in pro games?
Zealots are good, but they are melee, which limits their dps.
This means that a good mix of zealots, stalkers and tech is ideal.
And what other aa is there? Archons are good, but they are expensive and immobile, and phoenix are costly to tech too, and are not very useful late game when mineral lines have been secured.
And stalkers can blink under bcs, brood lords, carriers, which can be devastating.
And of course they will get owned by immortals. That's because immortals counter stalkers!
Just thought I'd add these points.
-tbpimaster
this the same guy that used voids and sentries? u still in masters? always wanted to know how that strat turned out.
HAve you never faced a good blink player?
01/13/2013 06:13 PMPosted by ProtisSniper
this the same guy that used voids and sentries? u still in masters? always wanted to know how that strat turned out.

Nope, he's (perhaps rightfully) back in Diamond.
01/15/2013 09:04 PMPosted by Sidewinder

Nope, he's (perhaps rightfully) back in Diamond.

Apparently mass void rays isn't the best strategy?
Wow, this thread is still alive. Guess I was on to something, hue hue hue

I'd get back up to Masters but I can't play WoL well anymore because I'm in full HotS mode =/ Don't worry, my stream will be back up in mid-March when I'm Masters in HotS :D

Also, I'm not really worried about my current league since my goal was to get Masters under my belt, been playing a lot of LoL. Now that my schoolwork and sports have toned down significantly I'll be able to start working for some serious progress (ultimately towards Grandmasters) once HotS is out.
01/13/2013 03:19 PMPosted by tbpimaster
If they are so bad, why are they used so much in pro games?

Because Protoss has 2 GtA attacking units, and the Sentry costs too much gas to be useful for that.

Speed of the unit?

Slightly slower than a Roach with speed upgrade. Slower than Marines/Marauders when they Stim.
Slower than Zerglings.

The speed of the Stalker is nothing special past the very beginning of the game.

Exactly! I don't know why people harp so much about their "speed",when they're slower than any of the units they commonly face for the majority of the match.

because u can kite someone nonstop with just stalkers sure their dps is low for their cost but they can blink inside an enemy base destroy their stuff and get out no other ground unit has that kind of mobility. and early game stalkers can easily kit roaches and marauders. also their damage per supply is actually pretty good which is why they're useful end game.
01/17/2013 07:45 AMPosted by kavinh
because u can kite someone nonstop with just stalkers sure their dps is low for their cost but they can blink inside an enemy base destroy their stuff and get out no other ground unit has that kind of mobility. and early game stalkers can easily kit roaches and marauders. also their damage per supply is actually pretty good which is why they're useful end game.

Stalkers are significantly slower than Stimmed Marines, significantly slower than Stimmed Marauders, the same speed as speed Roaches, and much much slower than Zerglings of all flavours.

Stalker kiting -only- works in the very early game.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7592581422?page=1

Stalker and Sentry-less build.

01/17/2013 07:45 AMPosted by kavinh
also their damage per supply is actually pretty good which is why they're useful end game.
Actually, it isn't. It's their HP per supply which is pretty good.
Stalkers are a good unit if you know how to micro, and use them in combination with other units. With ff's, collosus, and using bliink you could do well against almost any ground army. Stalkers are supposed to be used with other units and micro. IT IS SIMPLE.

Exactly! I don't know why people harp so much about their "speed",when they're slower than any of the units they commonly face for the majority of the match.

There is so much wrong with your reply.

- You managed to repeat what I said and made it look like you're correcting me with it. Yes you can kite marines/roaches/lings off creep for the first few minutes, once stim/roach speed clicks in they are FASTER than the stalker for the REST OF THE MATCH. Which means no kiting.

- You can blink, pew pew a supply or two, then get out, that is true. It also helps a lot to extend their life in an engagement and to chase units in a fight you already won.

- You CANNOT kite marauders with stalkers, at ANY point in the game.Their range is the same, so if you can shoot them, they can shoot back, you will only look like an idiot and waste APM doing a fail kite attempt and eating a marauder shell every time you stop.

- Their damage per supply is AWFUL what the heck makes you think otherwise? A marauder has good damage per supply, a stalker does not.
Stalkers are WORSE at the end of the game not better, their upgrades scale terribly and any speed advantage is negated once basic upgrades are achieved for Z/T.
An early game stalker does 13 burst vs a roach marauder and takes 15/19 from each(past shield, a 3-0-3 stalker still does 13 burst vs the same(LOL), but takes back 18/22 from each.

The only time I make manye stalkers late game is when I simply have no choice. That would be, almost never vs T/P , and some vs Z to try to deal with their air unit derping.
They can blink on to the high ground and when the army comes blink back down they are manueverable .for example, reapers are chasing you ,you blink and just keep running