Unable to start Starcraft 2 on Windows 8 Pro.

Technical Support
Hello, I have been working on this issue for a few days now and I am still rattled about this.

First off my computer is more than plenty for this game,

Got i7 3770K 3.8Ghz processor, GTX 650 2gb graphics, 120gb Intel SSD drive.

So my problem is, I got windows 8, I have installed starcraft more than 5 times now and I still get the same error.

When I try to start the game, I get the launcher, nbd right there everything looks fine. I hit play and An Unexpected Error occured, no error code nothing.

What I have tried :

Uninstall/Reinstall = Fail
Reimage windows, Clean install. = Fail
Remove SC, run CCleaner, reinstall = fail
Remove nVidiea drivers, reboot, remove sc2, reboot, CCleaner scan, reboot, install drivers, reboot, install SC2, reboot. = Fail
Install SC2 on a different hard drive that is not SSD = Fail

when I reboot the computer SC2 starts up without a problem, however when I quit the game I get the same error message again and the game wont start up.

i have now also tried to run it on the onboard graphics card, It started like normal, I played a game, shut the game down and tried to start it again, when I tried to start it again the unexpected fatal error showed up once again.

So my question now is there anyone else with the same problem?
I work at geek squad as well as an repair agent so wouldn't be surprised over chirps about it, just finally got to the point where I need someone elses mind for it.

Thank you.
bump
Again, Bump, Have reinstalled windows again as well and it worked for 4 days, called microsoft to verify my key and everything, how come theres no answers? Admins must be slow.
For starter's get rid of that App which claims to be a OS.
http://news.hitb.org/tags/microsoft

Read that and understand why you need to get rid of windows 8. After you get rid of that OS install the game again and you should be fine.
How does this error message looks like? (Post SS or something)

Also, does it display a Report ID? Because then you should try opening a ticket and including the report id.
You might want to try running StarCraft II in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3 as well.

• Right-click on the StarCraft II shortcut, and go to Properties.
  • On the Compatibility tab, check:
    Run this program in compatibility mode for:
    Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

when I reboot the computer SC2 starts up without a problem, however when I quit the game I get the same error message again and the game wont start up.

i have now also tried to run it on the onboard graphics card, It started like normal, I played a game, shut the game down and tried to start it again, when I tried to start it again the unexpected fatal error showed up once again.

When you ran it using your onboard graphics card, was that after having already ran it with your real graphics card without restarting the computer in between?

As a follow up, when you then switch back to your real graphics card, does the game work once more (and then stop working after that, of course)?
I too have windows 8 and have tried to install SC2. It installed fine but when trying to get updates the launcher update gets about three fourths through and then just goes away. No message, nothing. I try to start SC2 again and the same thing happens.
03/02/2013 06:57 PMPosted by AZHamster
I too have windows 8 and have tried to install SC2. It installed fine but when trying to get updates the launcher update gets about three fourths through and then just goes away. No message, nothing. I try to start SC2 again and the same thing happens.

This usually happens when you try to run the launcher without applying the updates available on Windows Update. The one you need most is probably flash for IE10 but those larger updates greatly improve system stability and fix many issues.

Make sure you check for updates again after applying the first ones and rebooting.

You should also update your video card drivers. The AMD drivers which were available when Windows 8 was released may crash playing flash videos. (assuming you have an AMD card, IDK about NVIDIA but you should update them either way)

And don't forger that the launcher needs the Secondary Logon service or it will not run.
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/enabling-windows-secondary-logon-service
The issue is occurring because after downloading the patch the patcher is downloading data for another patch. When the launcher is up look for a message saying "Downloading Data for an upcoming patch". If this is there click Info in the tool bar and then click connection information. If it is still downloading data wait for it to finish and it should work fine.
I have the same problem u are having. I installed sc2 on windows 8 at least 5 times, with all the latest drivers for my software, and even sent blizzard a copy of my specs! I tried everything they recomended, and it still did not work. So I re-installed windows 8, and sc2, still nothing. It installs fine launches fine, but as soon as its about to put joeyray's on screen, it freezes my entire system! So finally i created a seperate partition on my hard drive, installed window 7, and it worked all of a sudden! I played 4 levels that night, shut down my pc. The next day I boot up, luanch sc2, and it freezes again! No error code, just an annoying buzzing sound. I have been at this for about a month, trying to get this game to work. If anyone figures this out please share:)
I'm also having this problem...I get 3/4 through the patch launcher and it gives me the "bad image" error message..not sure what to do I've tried what everyones listed on here