Seriously guys, Probes and Pylons

Protoss Discussion
I know some of you in bronze and the lower leagues are annoyed when people tell you "just build probes constantly and you'll be good." It seems like an automated response, one that doesn't really mean anything to you specifically.

Turns out this is good advice for anyone, me included!

I've been playing hots, and for the first time I've got that little counter that tells me how saturated my bases are. Let's just say that I was well, well under 24 probes per mineral line at almost every point of the game. I often considered bases "saturated" in WoL that HotS is now telling me could use 10+ more probes!

I've been forcing myself to really, really make probes constantly in my beta games and I think my macro is substantially better as a result. I've got way more money and way more units.

Pylons and Probes, folks. Pylons and Probes.
Hahaha, well I guess somebody is getting a good use of those counters. :D

I always went with the select the probes, 2 rows is 16 probes, 3 rows is 24. The habit is so ingrained now I'm still doing it in HOTS despite the counters on the buildings.
2 of the biggest things im looking forward to in hots are the worker counts and the automining. i cannot split for the life of me...every time i try, i just make things worse.

also, as a new player to toss, all the builds I see say to cut probes at certain points. should you avoid doing this at lower leagues (gold) and just try to macro hard instead?
2 of the biggest things im looking forward to in hots are the worker counts and the automining. i cannot split for the life of me...every time i try, i just make things worse.

also, as a new player to toss, all the builds I see say to cut probes at certain points. should you avoid doing this at lower leagues (gold) and just try to macro hard instead?

I would say yes, simply because builds that require you to cut probes are trying to hit very specific timings that don't matter a whole lot in gold league. You're better off macroing hard and winning in the late game than you are trying to execute a very precise early build and screwing up the timing.
I don't really like the automining because it forces good players not to split... but then I thought about it, and I think it will be a huge help to those who load slow, so that they don't miss out on their mining while their screen is still loading ^^
I'd just like to point out here that splitting your workers doesn't actually make a significant difference for anything.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=129010

"So there is a difference 40 seconds in, but this difference does not increase over time. So essentially, you get those 5 minerals with a perfect f1 split milliseconds sooner than without, but there is no exponential increase, so you won't see that difference in the 1 min or 2 min results."

It's just something people carried over from broodwar war it made a difference.
does the counter tell you how many probes are at the base including gas or just the ones that are mining minerals?
01/30/2013 12:21 AMPosted by MysteryMeat
does the counter tell you how many probes are at the base including gas or just the ones that are mining minerals?
It is only for minerals. Gas Geysers have their own worker counter in HOTS.
I actually never get 24/24 on mineral lines unless i'm turtling and haven't expanded yet... 16 is my magic number :P