Diamond to Masters

Zerg Discussion
Just wondering how long it took you guys to hit Master from Diamond, and the key things to work on? I'm probably going to grind customs at first and focus on mechanics and geting my early-mid game down so I don't have to think about it. I have the week off so I can pretty much play as much as my attention span will let me.

Plat to Diamond for me was basically just macro, scouting and not being supply blocked.
diamond to masters is basically just macro, low masters to mid masters is defending cheese (everyone low masters cheeses), then midmasters to highmasters+ is actually being really good at the game...good macro is the standard and games are won through micro and decision making.

alternatively, u can just cheese to masters, but youll be stuck at low masters forever, since mid masters players will be able to defend it and youll never get out, and if u try to play legit...demotion inc.

as far as how long, it just depends how much you play and how fast you improve. for example, bw progamers might do it in a day, whereas my grandma could play the rest of her life and likely never make it out of gold. chances are u fall somewhere inbetween.
It took ages lol.

I was diamond season 1 (as Terran) and then only played off and on for a long time. I went down to plat (top of division though) for one season after switching to zerg. After that it was 4 seasons in diamond total, only 3 of which were consecutive. Once I started playing a lot more I made it into masters and have finished 2 seasons top 25 so far. My mechanics have improved tremendously but I still have some decision making issues :(
I HOPE sooooo much that I'll be able to make masters next season or the end of this season, its taken me 3 seasons of work so far, ALMOST THERE I HOPE!
It took me until last season and I reached high diamond season 1. It took me WAY longer than any other promotion--I started at low silver. Basically, I focused on nothing but hitting timings with one or two strats each matchup. It sounds cliche but you need to forget about winning and focus on improving. Even if you win a game, watch the replay and find where you could have improved something (for me it is always larva management).

I am back diamond now but im hoping (lol) I was part of the crowd demoted for strange reasons because I still had an *ok* record (there were threads about even high master/near GM getting demoted to diamond).
Every idiot troll that visits the zerg chat always laughs at me because I played 4000 ladder games and haven't got masters yet. :(
01/31/2013 09:51 AMPosted by ZCksuen
Every idiot troll that visits the zerg chat always laughs at me because I played 4000 ladder games and haven't got masters yet. :(

Don't you know. When you think you're close to your Masters promotion you buy a new account and get there within 100 games. Then you call everyone else a noob because it only took you a 100 games to get to Masters and you don't know why it takes everyone else so long.
For me, it came down to just a few things that i noticed

1) diamonds waste their units. They get over eager with an attack and many times don't accept the small victories. Try keeping as many early and mid game units alive as possible and capitalizing on any small advantages that open up.

2) diamonds have a more difficult time knowing WHEN to expand. They know good macro for the most part, but some will expand when its not safe, or when they are not ready. Expand when you are able to defend it, or if the enemy cant deny it.

3) diamonds have loose attack timings. For a start, gauge your attack timings based on your upgrades. say, the moment 2/2 finishes, be AT the enemies base attacking.

But even more so, optimize your attack timings the best you can. You can attack at 2/2 with a 90 food army, OR you can attack at 2/2 with a MAX army. huge difference. But this comes down to practicing a single build over and over and making the build the most efficient it can be.

4) Make the time to engage enemies properly. You can certainly tell the difference of whether a player is good by how they micro and position their units. They tend to set up a concave before attacking, zergs may spread their army to attack from multiple angles, ect
01/31/2013 09:51 AMPosted by ZCksuen

took me like 4,000 wins. but its okay, im just happy to play the game