New replay mechanic suggestion

General Discussion
Hi!

I've been pondering on the thought for a while now and would love to see this implemented in an upcoming patch. Would love anyone and everyone's feedback on the idea.

The concept is very simple - Say I lose a game, I'll watch the replay and learn how I failed and try to adapt my gameplay accordingly.

Wouldn't it be amazing for training purposes to be able to save a replay and then start up an AI game where the AI replays exactly what my opponent did so that I can practice countering it? Should the game exceed the game time of my replay, the AI would simply continue playing as it normally would in a regular vs AI game.

What do you guys think?
Have you heard about the "Resume from Replay Feature" in HotS?
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/8501413/New_Replay_and_Resume_Features_Coming_in_Heart_of_the_Swarm-1_24_2013
Check it out, may be what you're looking for.
Problem with this is you'd know where the attack would come from or where/how his units would be positioned. You could just go around them and attack his base or something. Micro during engagements (Blink/Storms/Stim/etc) would all be way off.

I like the idea, but having the AI play exactly the same probably wouldn't work. You could have it take over once a certain composition has already been produced and see if you could better engage it though.
02/13/2013 08:28 AMPosted by DirtyD
Problem with this is you'd know where the attack would come from or where/how his units would be positioned. You could just go around them and attack his base or something. Micro during engagements (Blink/Storms/Stim/etc) would all be way off.

The idea isn't to win the game cheesily against AI - the point is mainly to learn how to counter a certain build order/ tactic. So yes, knowing positioning helps you learn how to better play on certain maps.

I'll even go to the extent of having access to pro league replays, download them and match yourself up against them!
Have you heard about the "Resume from Replay Feature" in HotS?
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/8501413/New_Replay_and_Resume_Features_Coming_in_Heart_of_the_Swarm-1_24_2013
Check it out, may be what you're looking for.

!@#$... blizz read my mind - good catch Zappy!
The idea isn't to win the game cheesily against AI - the point is mainly to learn how to counter a certain build order/ tactic. So yes, knowing positioning helps you learn how to better play on certain maps.

I'll even go to the extent of having access to pro league replays, download them and match yourself up against them!

What you're looking for is pretty much what Zappy mentioned. You and another player (or AI) can take over a replay from any point and begin play.

So you could resume right before an engagement or a minute before and adjust your strategy accordingly. My point was that after resume is begun, you can't expect your opponent to behave in the exact same manner as they did the original game.
02/13/2013 08:46 AMPosted by MDK
!@#$... blizz read my mind - good catch Zappy!
You're welcome, just doing TheSkunk's job for him :)
No! Zappy stole my cookie again!

That being said, currently you can't use AI with this new replay feature. Feel free to give your feedback on the features in this thread: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7708262929?page=5

If you don't have access to the beta; these features should be coming to WoL sometime Soon™: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7909521034

Edit: A bit of clarification on that; if the original player was an AI player the AI will take over when you load; but if the original player wasn't an AI you can't make the AI load in his place.
currently you can't use AI with this new replay feature.

I stand corrected. Thank you for the info, TheSkunk
02/13/2013 09:27 AMPosted by DirtyD
currently you can't use AI with this new replay feature.

I stand corrected. Thank you for the info, TheSkunk
I'm going to point out that with the groups in HotS, finding a practice partner isn't that difficult, though they should add it anyway for us anti-social types.
No! Zappy stole my cookie again!

That being said, currently you can't use AI with this new replay feature. Feel free to give your feedback on the features in this thread: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7708262929?page=5

If you don't have access to the beta; these features should be coming to WoL sometime Soon™: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7909521034

Edit: A bit of clarification on that; if the original player was an AI player the AI will take over when you load; but if the original player wasn't an AI you can't make the AI load in his place.

Thanks TheSkunk!
Well, that being said it would be kind of technically infeasible for the AI to play how the player played in the original replay.

Say in the replay you took a greedy early third base, and your opponent attacked it and killed it.

After loading; you don't build a third but instead go for DT and start attacking his base. The AI would attempt to attack the non-existent base and everything would spiral out of control to such an extent it would fall apart.
Well, that being said it would be kind of technically infeasible for the AI to play how the player played in the original replay.

Say in the replay you took a greedy early third base, and your opponent attacked it and killed it.

After loading; you don't build a third but instead go for DT and start attacking his base. The AI would attempt to attack the non-existent base and everything would spiral out of control to such an extent it would fall apart.

Exactly my point earlier, as that's what I thought the OP was asking for. However, with the AI being much more advanced in HotS, I'm sure you could let it take over using a certain playstyle from a point in the game.

Wouldn't be the same as facing your opponent again or a real person taking their place, but would be useful if you wanted to prectice managing a certain type of engagement, or play with timings, etc.
Yeah, as long as the AI played somewhat competently and you loaded just before a key attack you want to try and defeat it would be fine, it just would be able to play back the game exactly how the original player did it.
One thing that could make this really cool is if they let u A) choose what level difficulty AI to put in, and/or B) They used ur mmr in training vs AI and have that carry over to what level AI is put in.
It would be especially interesting if the AI attempted to stick to how the player played from the point of the takeover on but this i especially know would be very difficult to implement. GOGO BLizzard Hwaiting!
I personally don't mind if the AI does what the other player did, because I agree that could be very hard to implement. That being said, I really would like to see the AI being able to take over from a spot in a match, instead of another player.