Very Hard Terran AI: How long to beat?

Zerg Discussion
Not talking about 6pooling.

Recently I've started playing against the Very Hard Terran AI to practice my late game macro. I found that the AI was very good at applying constant pressure and expanding.

I only use the standard 14gas/14pool build then FE after first queen build as this is the only build I'm comfort with. At first I kept dying because of overdrone. But then I started getting the feel and was able to beat the AI consistently. Still, it took me at least 4 basses to beat the AI. Meaning I have to expand two more times before my army is big enough to crush the AI's.

For those who have defeated the AI, I've two questions:
1) Were you able to beat it without expanding, barring 6ooling?
2) If not, how many bases did you have to go through before the AI finally succumbed?

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could post a replay. :D
Seriously, you're in diamond and you have a hard time with the AI? Just mass speedlings and run it over because it never walls off.
I honestly don't find the very hard AI that difficult. I usually do a 2inbase with a 3rd NE with baneling speedling and muta's. Don't have a replay but I'll go play one and post it shortly.

Mine usually finish by the 15min-20min mark.
Not talking about 6pooling.

Recently I've started playing against the Very Hard Terran AI to practice my late game macro. I found that the AI was very good at applying constant pressure and expanding.

I only use the standard 14gas/14pool build then FE after first queen build as this is the only build I'm comfort with. At first I kept dying because of overdrone. But then I started getting the feel and was able to beat the AI consistently. Still, it took me at least 4 basses to beat the AI. Meaning I have to expand two more times before my army is big enough to crush the AI's.

For those who have defeated the AI, I've two questions:
1) Were you able to beat it without expanding, barring 6ooling?
2) If not, how many bases did you have to go through before the AI finally succumbed?

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could post a replay. :D

Its usually over by 17 minutes with one expansion and a whole lot of mutalisk harass. I find that taking out their expansion and mineral starving terran AI works really well.
Seriously, you're in diamond and you have a hard time with the AI? Just mass speedlings and run it over because it never walls off.

That kind of defeats the purpose...besides I'm really not that good.
Sounds to me like you're playing a defensive macro game, not a bad choice as Zerg but it does make for long games.

Try a timeing push or muta harass, it works wonders.
Sounds to me like you're playing a defensive macro game, not a bad choice as Zerg but it does make for long games.

Try a timeing push or muta harass, it works wonders.

The AI is actually pretty good at defending muta harass, unless you do 1base fast muta.

The AI is actually pretty good at defending muta harass, unless you do 1base fast muta.

It's terrible at it, wait until it is about to attack you then hit with your muta's.

It will turn it's entire army around to fight your muta's, when they get close, run off and wait for it to counter attack, then right before it hits, you harass again.

Rinse and repeat until your eye's bleed.
Just use the basic build order for a baneling bust. Terran ai dies everytime in the first 8 minutes.
I can beat the very hard AI without cheese against P/Z, I still have a very hard time against terran. If it tries to reaper rush, I win easy cause it sucks doing it, otherwise I'm usually dead by 25 mins or so.
I beat it with 3 bases personally.

I looked at the code for "Very Hard" (insane also uses the same code, but cheats), and unlike hard and below, it actually applies tactics and expand at a fairly consistent rate. They will get all the good upgrades when they should, and it's programmed to rare occasions rush you with marines/repears/banshees, but most of the time it'll just apply early pressure and get all the good counter units/upgrades to what you are doing, and scout you constantly.

The main problems with the AI is that their weaknesses as a computer are too easy to exploit (cheese aside). If say they are about to attack you, you can harass any bit of their base and they will send all their forces to deal with it, causing a situation where you can harass, run, harass, run, indefinitely until they have no workers (easiest way to win in a semi-legitimate fashion). They will also continually expand to same spots and be relatively predictable in certain ways. It's very easy to beat based on that knowledge, and beating them without taking advantages of such blaring weaknesses is can be pretty tough.

Often, I like to test my defensive skills and avoid attacking them and just try to build up my forces/expansions and fend off their attacks, seeing how long I can last. No defensive structures, just units. Then I try to starve them out, so I can learn to play a bit more reactively and try to increase my macro efficiency. It's absolutely not a learning tool for playing against humans, as humans just play so unpredictably and differently, but it -will- teach you to play very efficient in certain respects if you continue to work at it.

It's terrible at it, wait until it is about to attack you then hit with your muta's.

It will turn it's entire army around to fight your muta's, when they get close, run off and wait for it to counter attack, then right before it hits, you harass again.

Rinse and repeat until your eye's bleed.

I could do that, but that defeats the purpose too. You see, any smart Terran will opt for a base trade and forces you to pull back your mutas.

The point of practice against Very Hard AI is not to exploit its weaknesses, but to play into its own strengths (constant pressure, expanding) and still defeat it in order to practice late game macro.
The very hard AI is less concerned with economy than your average Terran player, but it also sucks with harassing. It will likely do a MM timing push on you after some time. If it does it's going into MMM. Occasionally it will reaper harass but does so terribly.

I've lost to v hard Terran AI, but I find sling/bling trades as I slowly build up a stronger economy to be easy to use against them. I don't mineral line harass until I have a clear advantage and then its pretty gg.
It is easy dude.

1) Hide zergling, Reaper, Chargelots somewhere outside of the main path
2) Control Xel'Naga tower so you can see their army coming
3) Rush his command center just before he reach your base. The AI will pull back all his forces to defend.
4) Try to kill all the workers you see, and the command center if you can
5) Build up another ambush force in your base in the mean time.
6) Repeat

Usually take 15-20 minutes.