Help for Beginning Terran?

Terran Discussion
Socrates here. I've been getting bored of Protoss, since they aren't very fun to play as. I've heard that 3rax is good for a beginning Terran. I struggle most with Zerg early aggression w/ roaches/lings, and my playstyle is very passive; I only attack with large blows with long times between each attack.
Have any replays?

I'm a passive player too, so I fair better when it comes to 2v2 with a friend of mine. I do the wall off and build up the ground defense/offense while he works on air.
Well that is a very vague post in how we can help. I would look at the Day9 videos on Terran (or as Protoss if you want to stay with your first race).

Do you have any friends in bronze league who can play with you?
03/07/2013 07:26 PMPosted by Socrates
Socrates here. I've been getting bored of Protoss, since they aren't very fun to play as. I've heard that 3rax is good for a beginning Terran. I struggle most with Zerg early aggression w/ roaches/lings, and my playstyle is very passive; I only attack with large blows with long times between each attack.

If you like waiting until you have a big force terran might not be for you. I find that I lose most games where I go toe to toe with an enemy death ball. That being said terran is still a great race and the number of effective strategies is always a plus. I would suggest learning bombers 1 rax fe on the liquipedia.
03/08/2013 11:51 AMPosted by Sixilli
If you like waiting until you have a big force terran might not be for you. I find that I lose most games where I go toe to toe with an enemy death ball

Any races you would recommend that are good for this style of play?
Bump. Adding replay today.
03/08/2013 12:09 PMPosted by raevin
If you like waiting until you have a big force terran might not be for you. I find that I lose most games where I go toe to toe with an enemy death ball

It's very good for tvp since it was meant to destroy protoss
Alright. Here are two replays. One vs. AI and another against a human in bronze league. I already detected several mistakes in my play, but I will let a higher ranked person see how I can improve.

AI Replay: http://drop.sc/309597

Human Replay: http://drop.sc/309598
ok so with the human replay

1. At 9 supply rally your next in production scv to your ramp to build the supply depot. As you can see you rallied it to the mineral line, only to pull an scv off the line right after that.

2. Scout a protoss at 13 or 15, whichever you prefer, anything earlier isnt going to tell you anything really

3. build order. Your build was basically 3 rax into expo, i would advise just going 1 rax expand, just get a bunker down as soon as you start your natural command center so you dont die to zealot pressure. As soon as you expand put down your 2nd and third barracks and get double gasses. I would advise just learning the 10 minute timing against protoss. Essentially as long as you have a build order you can get out of bronze easily

4. get that natural orbital as soon as possible for the mules.

5. add a few marauders, not just solid marines.

6. Spend MONEY! you can also get out of bronze JUST spending all your money, too many low league players just DONT spend their minerals, you want to put down a third, get more barracks, get another engineering bay and get double upgrades, get a starport for vikings and medivacs

Make it a goal of your just to have 0 minerals all the time.

Essentially i think just learning a build order and you will be fine.
ok so with the human replay

1. At 9 supply rally your next in production scv to your ramp to build the supply depot. As you can see you rallied it to the mineral line, only to pull an scv off the line right after that.

2. Scout a protoss at 13 or 15, whichever you prefer, anything earlier isnt going to tell you anything really

3. build order. Your build was basically 3 rax into expo, i would advise just going 1 rax expand, just get a bunker down as soon as you start your natural command center so you dont die to zealot pressure. As soon as you expand put down your 2nd and third barracks and get double gasses. I would advise just learning the 10 minute timing against protoss. Essentially as long as you have a build order you can get out of bronze easily

4. get that natural orbital as soon as possible for the mules.

5. add a few marauders, not just solid marines.

6. Spend MONEY! you can also get out of bronze JUST spending all your money, too many low league players just DONT spend their minerals, you want to put down a third, get more barracks, get another engineering bay and get double upgrades, get a starport for vikings and medivacs

Make it a goal of your just to have 0 minerals all the time.

Essentially i think just learning a build order and you will be fine.

Thanks for the help. I'm used to Protoss 9 scouting so I will have to fix that.
Another thing I would do, that seems to work for me a bit, is placing a bunker at the bottom of your wall-off (bottom of the ramp). Just put 4 marines in there and you'll be relatively safe from any early game rush. But, also go for a quick gas if you can to lay down a tech lab + marauder production (to help against any possible marine/roach/shield units early on).
I think that with you rine heavy force, you had a few weaknesses. A factory and a star port would have made this push even more scary. Medivacs and a few tanks, would have allowed you to really lay down the pressure. Stims and medivacs are a really good combination.

If you find yourself floating a lot of cash (minerals or gas) build more production. A racks, a factory, or a star port will all help you produce an army. And if you keep spending your money, and getting more production, you will move outta bronze! I started in bronze, and after i visited these forums, watched Husky/Day9, I learned how to macro effectively.

Good luck, and have fun!

You can't play passively in terran vs zerg. If you aren't doing damage at any given time, you're losing.
03/08/2013 12:09 PMPosted by raevin

If you wanna turtle 'till you have a really strong army, Protoss is probably more your thing.
welcome i switched from toss to terran at the end of wol. It will take you a while to learn to terran macro well(im still learning). Not having warpgates will mess with you for a while though.
I would practice a 1-Rax Expand build like, 100 times if I was a new Terran player.