HotS thoughts

General Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17 Next
I hope you guys aren't exclusively looking at pro games.

The vast majority of us aren't at the pro level and sometimes just because pros have the 400 APM to handle some strategies that require 50 apm to execute doesn't mean the game is balanced.

They kinda have to balance at the pro level because of the esport involved. People at that level often play in tourneys for $$$. Imo balance at pro level is what matters most. The rest of us just have to learn and get better.
Just wanted to let you know that our design team is watching every major match carefully and will continue doing so.

Some things we're noticing are:

- The super aggressive play is turning out to be really fun to watch.

Some things we're thinking of going forward:

- We'll try our best to not be too quick to make judgments on things that are allowing players to play a much more aggressive game. For example, yes Medivacs look strong but it's forcing even the opponents to play aggressive and the constant action throughout the game is looking to be really fun to watch.

- We'll continue watching all the pro and community concerns, but keep in mind we'd really like the game to settle before we step in and make a move.

You like aggressive play but the widow mine promotes exactly the opposite.
Pretty big words for someone who hasn't played a match since 2011.
Yeah, first: this is my posting account, and has no bearing on the arguments I presented. Second: my arguments are 100% accurate unless you can prove me wrong.
Do you guys project an "APM" based league?
No.
Well, we're slowly getting to the point where the guys will know what is needed for balance. Probably going to be something involving the harassment from all three races first, the oracle coming to my mind because a few of them can actually deal with turrets pretty easily. Still, we're just starting out. Can only imagine what is going to happen in the next few weeks.
I hope you guys aren't exclusively looking at pro games.

The vast majority of us aren't at the pro level and sometimes just because pros have the 400 APM to handle some strategies that require 50 apm to execute doesn't mean the game is balanced.

They kinda have to balance at the pro level because of the esport involved. People at that level often play in tourneys for $$$. Imo balance at pro level is what matters most. The rest of us just have to learn and get better.

Except I am assuming Blizzard relies on us non-pros to sell enough games to make money and stay in business. I think this causes a number of problems for Blizzard and I certainly don't envy their impossible position. To argue people should just "learn and get better" while defending the idea that strategies are only balanced at a pro level is contradictory logic in my opinion. It would imply we all have to be able to pro at professional skill level in order to play the game "properly".
It would imply we all have to be able to pro at professional skill level in order to play the game "properly".
Yes, that's correct, and it is also what is FUN about Starcraft as a game: it is the CHALLENGE to have to learn the game well to play it competitively, and the ladder system allows this competitive spirit to stay alive by allowing players of about equal skill to compete together while mimicking their favorite pros, or by trying out their own strategies, whichever they find more fun to do. The Beauty about SC is that it is such an open game, that you can do anything you want. It might be inefficient, but if it works for you, you do it anyways. but as you get better at the game you start learning more efficient ways to play the race you do, and as a result, you start getting DEEPER into strategic thinking based on minute timings that make all the difference, when your mechanical skill gets to a point where you can beat lower level players with any strategy - good or bad.
03/27/2013 08:47 AMPosted by Zamara
It would imply we all have to be able to pro at professional skill level in order to play the game "properly".
Yes, that's correct, and it is also what is FUN about Starcraft as a game: it is the CHALLENGE to have to learn the game well to play it competitively, and the ladder system allows this competitive spirit to stay alive by allowing players of about equal skill to compete together while mimicking their favorite pros, or by trying out their own strategies, whichever they find more fun to do. The Beauty about SC is that it is such an open game, that you can do anything you want. It might be inefficient, but if it works for you, you do it anyways. but as you get better at the game you start learning more efficient ways to play the race you do, and as a result, you start getting DEEPER into strategic thinking based on minute timings that make all the difference, when your mechanical skill gets to a point where you can beat lower level players with any strategy - good or bad.

I don't disagree with any of that. However, I think it still misses the point that blizzard needs mass marker sales to make money but then makes all their balance decisions on the play style of, what? The top 5% of players in the world?

As an inexperienced and crap player myself (admitedly) it can be extremely frustrating trying to learn the game when, as others have said in the past, it may take 50 APM to do a certain move but then 150 apm to counter. I would also argue that there are people who move up the ladder not by "learning" the game so much as just copying what is viewed as a winning build and riding it until it doesn't work then looking for the new "winning" build of the week to copy.
How about you nerf that stupid OP Skytoss Mass Voidray...I don't care if your only argument is that pros don't have a problem with it, but getting destroyed by and a move army is t exactly my idea of a fun game...I don't see why VRs need a button to melt away your whole army regardless of upgrades...only reason a zerg won MLG is because Life is the best player in the world...period
Deinonychus just shut up , only because you are master you dont know everything. if you dont believe me , go and look at the interview stephano did at reddit after MLG where he talks about terran OP early . Reason medivac so fast and so easy to fly in and drop units even with static defense up and protoss OP lategame ->hightemplar storm hydras ,feedback viper , infestor . Tempest kill viper and other stuff to on far distance , about its max range 15 or if you have them at 14 range or something and last the void ray , I know it counter corruptor , in wol it counter corruptor good , but now it really crush , own corruptor , with the +6 damage spell to armored aswell.

ANd no you can't go mutas since tempest and storm kill it together , if you have tempest on long distance like I said above like 14 range or something.

u Are even worse u didnt even understand what i mean... i agree with Terran being OP same goes for void rays....Ohh and before u pool the Gramar card im German so English isnt my first language kkthxbb
what the hell...
- Nobody is close to figuring the game out yet.

I don't believe this, don't wanna start a flame war, but I really feel you are telling us that so we stop saying game is imbalanced, I don't think is that imbalance though, but I feel that you are lying to us until you figure a way to "balance" the game :)
I don't believe this, don't wanna start a flame war, but I really feel you are telling us that so we stop saying game is imbalanced, I don't think is that imbalance though, but I feel that you are lying to us until you figure a way to "balance" the game :)

It took years before the Brood War metagame was figured out. It took further years before people learned how to handle Terran aggression in ZvT (3 Hatch Muta figured out by Savior) and further years for people to figure out how to deal with 3 Hatch Muta.

To think that after not even a month we have figured out the metagame is a bit near-sighted.
Just had an interesting idea on hellbat balance. I feel the big problem is that people can get too many hellbats out early game, but they still have a place late game so what if blizzard made it such that hellbat can only be built out of factories with tech labs? That way ,!@# production early game is removed and harass is more reasonable and people can still get hellbats late game by researching the transformation upgrade and reactor-ing out hellions.
Just a thought guys, happy to receive feed back. :)
NUCLEAR NECROBUMP DETECTED!!!
God damnit I thought Blizzard was actually taking some time to communicate with us.
06/27/2013 08:53 PMPosted by GroundZero
God damnit I thought Blizzard was actually taking some time to communicate with us.

lol same.
Necro necro man necrooo mannnn