HotS thoughts

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 17 Next
lets have the Medivacs start off with 300 Energy... and it builds to a maximum of 500...
and then .. give the Medivacs, DefMatrix, Irradiate, EMP, Hunter Seeker Missiles, and Point Defense Drones.

for the purposes of transparency..i'm a terran player.
but i'm objective about the buffs i'm requesting here.
look at the kespa maps too!

my main concern is the low usefulness swarm host has
03/18/2013 09:47 AMPosted by GeminiEclips

I wish this were true. That is my only issue, this expansion hasn't really changed enough. The final series between Flash and Life, looked exactly like WOL with some mines sprinkled in, which could've just as easily been tanks.

Only Protoss seems to play different in the early/mid-game.

Hopefully this changes, but I have my doubts..

Yeah unfortunately the medivac buff really pushes forward bio play compared to mech. The mobility is just so strong.

I'm glad Blizz is actually waiting to nerf stuff and letting people figure things out. MC was doing some awesome stuff.

I wouldn't write off mech play just yet.

Bio is easier to play for now because of how much simpler it is strategically. It's much more reliant on mechanics, micromanagement, and multitasking than it is on positioning and tactics.

I think as the metagame develops further you'll start to see more mech resurgence once people have figured out the map pool a little more and how it fits in with the new kind of aggressive openings and timings people can do.

We already saw it in the Life vs Last series. 2 games in Last completely abandons Bio play in favor of Mech because of how Life was playing against him and he nearly beats him with it.
Something I would like personally is some changes to the other races similar to the medivac speed boost.

Oracles for example either show up and do damage if there's no defense or they don't if there is. Its very binary. As we saw at mlg though the medivacs are not like that at all. Never was there a situation where it was like "oh flash built turrets so now hes totally safe from drops".

I think an upgrade on the fleet beacon for oracles that extends their survivability/usefulness somehow even after defenses are up would be nice. I don't want just a health upgrade or something though. It should be something that takes skill to use but pays off if you use it well allowing the oracles to be effective in situations where they normally wouldn't be.
- Nobody is close to figuring the game out yet.

Imo you should explain to people at least the general concepts of how units should be used, strengths and weaknesses. Having everything as a black box might be entertaining to watch on your end, but it does turn some people away.

Honestly there's no way to (but they do try IIRC, just go to the menu there's a list of the units with basic info and strengths/counters). Go back and read the beta forums, no one (including the masters and some NA GM) had a clue about the unit compositions we've been seeing at pro korean level hots.
That's exactly what I wanted to read! Let the metagame stabilizes before applying changes! :D

HotS looking awesome!
just go really slowly on patching this(buffs or nerfs) and i'll be very happy.
@ David Kim: I agree completely, but why not try to do the same thing with zerg? You've this awesome potential in this thing called nydus, but right now it's currently very limited as it's either completely reliant on your opponent not spotting it, or must be put in a safe place like outside their base, which only adds a small amount of aggressive options (and from the defender's POV, is no different than holding off a normal frontal attack). it's also very expensive, and each worm costs 100/100 but cannot be canceled while building..

That, and maybe overlord drop could use a little boost as well, as balancing nydus seems quite tricky and dangerously powerful if made too strong. perhaps nydus could be a hive tech but stronger-than-drop attack potential..
Something I would like personally is some changes to the other races similar to the medivac speed boost.

Oracles for example either show up and do damage if there's no defense or they don't if there is. Its very binary. As we saw at mlg though the medivacs are not like that at all. Never was there a situation where it was like "oh flash built turrets so now hes totally safe from drops".

I think an upgrade on the fleet beacon for oracles that extends their survivability/usefulness somehow even after defenses are up would be nice. I don't want just a health upgrade or something though. It should be something that takes skill to use but pays off if you use it well allowing the oracles to be effective in situations where they normally wouldn't be.

The Oracle is more akin to a banshee or Mutalisk than it is to a Medivac, although I do tend to agree that perhaps the other races COULD use some love in the same vein that Terrans have in the Medivac.

Maybe some improvements to the Nydus Worm and Warp Prism perhaps?

still too early to tell either way, but those sorts of improvements would be fun I think.
Great job Blizz, SC2 was the best game ever created and HotS has made it twice as fun to play and infinitely more fun to watch. You've done something really special and I'm crazy excited for what 2013 will bring!
Thank you Dayvie. Please don't let the whiners destroy this game because HOTS is AWESOME. Sure, the game may need some balancing, but I, as a fan, want you guys to make the right changes rather than knee-jerk ones. This past MLG showed there is so much room for growth and would hate for that to be stunted so early in the metagame.
Is blizz concerned with making sure all the new units get used (swarm host in particular; tempest to some extent) or is more important to balance the game overall, whatever the cost?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the simplest change you could make would be to remove the activation cost for pulsar beam and just have it begin draining once activated. Then you can turn it on and if you have to pull back for a moment you can still commit again soon after.
Putting all the nuances together would take an entire book. But considering how short lived any metagame is, a magazine would be more appropriate. I'm sure players would appreciate the latest "50 micro tips to please your bonjwa" and foldouts of their favorite stars.

True the meta-game changes. But that didn't stop MOBA's from putting hero guides directly into their user interfaces. It is unknown if such thing is compatible with RTS games. Still something should be done to introduce players to unfamiliar elements of ladder play.
Thank you David. I think it's pretty awesome the literal game developer posts on the forums less than a week after the game drops and the day after the first major tournament. Glad to hear you guys are watching and no knee jerks yet.
VoDs are all free in great 720 quality. You will not be disappointed
Good response. I am happy you are not rushing to take things into your own things. :)

Please do not consider messing with the balance of the game for another 2 months. While I am not averse to change for the better, please allow players plenty of time to adjust.

Also, please highly consider Fewer Resources per Base!
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=17788834

While the exact FRB implementation may not be the answer, the idea is still the same. Furthermore, while SC2 and BW are completely different games with different cost structures, FRB (that is based around BW economy) works quite well for SC2, so no real need to adjust things.
The players just have to get used to it and balance the games with their own skill. As how the game should go.

Since FRB would allow better players to differentiate themselves even more, there is less need of Blizzard balancing the game themselves.

Not to mention, FRB is quick and easy to implement!

While players are learning the game and adapting, this is still a perfect time to introduce these economic changes. :)
Plenty of helpful VoDs out there and lots more will be made once seasoned players figure more out. Enjoy the chaos
? You've this awesome potential in this thing called nydus, but right now it's currently very limited
What sort of buff can the Nydus Network get? One option is to let air units use it, but that makes Broodlord/infestor even more powerful.

Zerg needs a lot of gas to get their heavy hitters on the field. Zerglings and Roaches are cheap on gas, but they're pretty fast. Fast units don't benefit much from a Nydus. The slow units that benefit most also annihilate your gas reserves. It's tough to find a nice fit.
Man I’m excited, so I’m double posting. Thank you, thank you! Let’s see a few more tournaments (GSL, Proleague, OSL) first and then make the call.

You da man!
I guess that IS the reasonable course of action :P

Yeah, I still strongly feel that speedvacs are a little too much, but I will agree that we can wait and see whether I am 100% correct, or slightly correct, or completely wrong (as MC comes back with a vengeance and pwns all speedvacs with some ungodly micro/strategy :D)
:) That’s all I was asking for. Medivacs could absolutely end up being OP. I won’t deny that they aren’t strong, they are, but let’s wait and see what happens.

MC did really well. Almost all the games were action packed from beginning to end. I think we are on the verge of SC2 being Epic.