How do I deselect units?

General Discussion
Is there not an option to deselect units by simply clicking on the terrain? I just upgraded to HOTS and am having trouble with this, I don't remember this being an issue in regular SC2.
I don't remember this being an issue in regular SC2.

It has always been like this.
You can't deselect a unit unless watching a replay. It has always been like this (I believe in Sc1 as well).
You can bind a deselect option to cut units from a control group to a key-say shift or ctrl, and click on the units (while holding down said key) that are in unit control group (that big box thang). :)

I think that is what your asking, no?
Right now the only advice I can give you is to shift click the unit, that will deselect or reselect a unit into your current command.
I'm confusing myself now. Ignore me.
A useful tip; if you have a group of units you want to deselect, for example, lets say you morph a bunch of zerglings, but run out of resources and have 6 larvae still selected, if you shift + ctl click the larvae, it will deselect all of the larvae from your selection.

Helpful if you want to add the units to a Control Group right away so that right when they pop, you can just press the CG and send them somewhere.
A useful tip; if you have a group of units you want to deselect, for example, lets say you morph a bunch of zerglings, but run out of resources and have 6 larvae still selected, if you shift + ctl click the larvae, it will deselect all of the larvae from your selection.

Helpful if you want to add the units to a Control Group right away so that right when they pop, you can just press the CG and send them somewhere.

Yes, this... apparently I forgot about control in my mention of this above. Stupid muscle memory being better than brain memory... :/
Strange. I played SC2 for the first time in months the other day, I don't remember this bothering me but today just playing through the starting mission in HOTS it's driving me crazy lol.
You cannot deselect units in Starcraft. The only way you don't have something selected is at the start of the game or if what you have selected dies.
Strange. I played SC2 for the first time in months the other day, I don't remember this bothering me but today just playing through the starting mission in HOTS it's driving me crazy lol.

I had the same re-acclimation issue. I don't know why... maybe from playing other games in between WoL and HotS? It feels natural again now, though. Give it time, eh? :)
Weird... Don't you just left click on an empty space on the map?

I guess I don't know, I just play the game and my brain figures something out.

Maybe I assume that going to my hatch/cc/nexus hotkey is like deselcting
I can't understand why anyone would want to have nothing selected. You should always be doing something.
You cannot deselect units in Starcraft. The only way you don't have something selected is at the start of the game or if what you have selected dies.

K, I was just crazy then. Feels natural to me again now that I've been playing a bit.
03/18/2013 04:37 PMPosted by Ninebreaker

K, I was just crazy then. Feels natural to me again now that I've been playing a bit.

Actually... Doncroft is wrong. I just tested it. You can shift click yourself to a no selection. Select a single unit, then hold Shift and click said unit. It disappears from selection and you now have nothing selected. =)
This is a pain for me because I'm new and sometimes I'll have all my barracks on one hotkey and accidentally add a worker something to that hotkey so when I try to create units from the barracks nothing happens because some of the units on the hotkey are not barracks and I can't work out how to deselect them... very frustrating - I'm just watching the clock and the seconds ticking away while I try to work out which units are selected on the same hotkey... the only way they disappear is when they die so I try to send them all to die... lame approach to the game.
03/18/2013 05:13 PMPosted by Phinix
Actually... Doncroft is wrong. I just tested it. You can shift click yourself to a no selection. Select a single unit, then hold Shift and click said unit. It disappears from selection and you now have nothing selected. =)

This, I'm really surprised many ppl don't know the game controls.
02/09/2014 10:33 AMPosted by Null
03/18/2013 05:13 PMPosted by Phinix

This, I'm really surprised many ppl don't know the game controls.

Im really surprised that this is a issue for anyone :)