How to beat rushes as Terran?

Terran Discussion
So, last few games I've played its been I lost due to an early rush. For example, a 4-rax kicked my butt last night, as well as a 4-gate. I didn't have anywhere near the ability to hold it off, and I'm not used to facing these type of games. Does anyone have any tips?
Scouting them is the #1 most important thing. What build are you doing? It all depends, if you have a factory then widow mines are good, just produce units out of whatever you have, drop 2-3 more bunkers, and pull scvs to repair when he hits.
Tbh, I don't do builds (bad? dunno). Basically I build based on how I feel to go (which explains my bronze placement?). Basically what I do though every game is:

@9: Supply Depot
@11: Barracks (this is when the SD finishes)
@Barracks finish: x3 Marines (send or two out to scout if I don't scout at Barracks finish)
@15: Supply Depot
@16: Refinery
@18: Factory (mainly for WMs)

From there I generally know what I'm facing against, but I get attacked typically around the @15 and @16 point. I can put up a replay if interested.

edit I also build a bunker, I forgot, after the Barracks, down at the bottom of the ramp.

I build to wall-off, and not like the pros who build within their base. Might have to switch that up, I don't know.
drop a replay and ill take a look :). Builds are a good thing. They will get you out of bronze easy!
Replay link:
http://drop.sc/310718

I've tried to do full-on builds, but my mind is always more focused on the game so I forget what I should be building and I just wing it, lol. Was thinking of trying the 4-rax build that the guy beat us with in the replay.
use bunkers and seige tanks
that will take out a frontal assault
First thing, always get your orbital on 15 supply, I don't care if the world is ending get it.

2nd thing, you guys didnt scout in your replay at all, you deserve to lose if you don't scout, you should always know what you're opponent is doing if you don't you should be afraid.

Next thing, team games don't matter they're just for fun.

At the end of the game you hada 1300 minerals. That could have been like 26 marines or 3 command centers, first rule in an rts is spend your money.

In short, scout, spend your money, those are the first two things you have to learn
Word of advice... and this may help IRL.

Don't play on Saturdays. It's when all the kids that want to ladder spend their time doing all-ins for cheap wins. I learned this in WoL and just tried about 5 games today to see if things have changed... and they haven't. You can surely scout Zerg, but the T/P opponents just proxy their tech.

All-in every game. I was only able to hold for the win once. HoTS is too new, and all-ins are pretty powerful, especially from Protoss if they get Oracle. There's no efficient methods for holding the new all-ins.

You can keep banging your head against the wall, and hope to get lucky, or just do all-ins yourself.

Try working on your macro and / or defense methods for those all-ins you're seeing.
03/16/2013 08:33 PMPosted by Fulgore
I was only able to hold for the win once. HoTS is too new, and all-ins are pretty powerful, especially from Protoss if they get Oracle. There's no efficient methods for holding the new all-ins.

Watch the MC vs Mvp games from MLG. Mvp gets a good hold on a 7 gate + oracles in game 2.
Tbh, I don't do builds (bad? dunno). Basically I build based on how I feel to go (which explains my bronze placement?). Basically what I do though every game is:

@9: Supply Depot
@11: Barracks (this is when the SD finishes)
@Barracks finish: x3 Marines (send or two out to scout if I don't scout at Barracks finish)
@15: Supply Depot
@16: Refinery
@18: Factory (mainly for WMs)

From there I generally know what I'm facing against, but I get attacked typically around the @15 and @16 point. I can put up a replay if interested.

edit I also build a bunker, I forgot, after the Barracks, down at the bottom of the ramp.

I build to wall-off, and not like the pros who build within their base. Might have to switch that up, I don't know.

That is a terrible BO. The most basic Terran opening is:
10 depot (build the very second you have 100 minerals or you'll get supply blocked)
12 rax
13 refinery (3 workers in 1 refinery, not 2 workers each in 2 refineries)
15 orbital

Also, spend your money.
03/16/2013 05:39 PMPosted by Noctix
First thing, always get your orbital on 15 supply, I don't care if the world is ending get it.

I've been working harder on this, as I know its been hurting me. Especially for the early MULE assistance.

2nd thing, you guys didnt scout in your replay at all, you deserve to lose if you don't scout, you should always know what you're opponent is doing if you don't you should be afraid.

Been working on getting back to this again too. In WoL I didn't really need to scout prior to the OC being done (very rarely did I run into any issues). But, I've been trying to retrain my thought process.

Next thing, team games don't matter they're just for fun.

Not sure why everyone says this. Team games are just as much a part of the game as 1v1, and I play this game to have fun. Most games I play I don't enjoy for as long in one setting if I'm not playing with friends.

At the end of the game you hada 1300 minerals. That could have been like 26 marines or 3 command centers, first rule in an rts is spend your money.

That I know, lol, but I couldn't pump out units fast enough. Thats why I was thinking of adding a reactor to the first barracks and having it pump out Marines.

03/16/2013 08:33 PMPosted by Fulgore
Don't play on Saturdays.

I don't, actually. Its rare for me to play on the weekends (unless you count Friday as a weekend, some do. I don't.) The replay was from Thursday or Friday actually. But noted and thanks for the heads up. :)

That is a terrible BO. The most basic Terran opening is:
10 depot (build the very second you have 100 minerals or you'll get supply blocked)
12 rax
13 refinery (3 workers in 1 refinery, not 2 workers each in 2 refineries)
15 orbital

Can you tell me why its a terrible BO? Not arguing a point, just want to know so I don't keep making the same mistake.

Reason why I would build 2 refineries is because of the gas, but maybe 3x workers on 1x refinery would be a lil more efficient.
Can you tell me why its a terrible BO? Not arguing a point, just want to know so I don't keep making the same mistake.

A 9 supply depot suggests that you're delaying an SCV in order to have enough minerals to make a supply depot. The 11 barracks is also suggesting a delay in SCV production. So if we assume say ~7 in game seconds for each delay, the first SCV is delayed from mining for 7 seconds, but the second is delayed for 14 seconds because of the 7 seconds lost from before. The third SCV also has this 14 second delay etc, and the mining lost just keeps increasing as time goes by. Seems minor at first, but it's really not.

Reason why I would build 2 refineries is because of the gas, but maybe 3x workers on 1x refinery would be a lil more efficient.

It's a choice if you're going for specific timings, but you'll really need to consider what gas units you want to have by a certain time first. Generally you can think about 100 gas per minute with one refinery and 3 SCVs. I believe it's a little more than 100 and closer to 120 though, but 100 is simpler to work with. So if you build your refinery at 2:00 finish it at 2:30 with 3 SCVs, you can start your factory at 3:30 which will finish at 4:30.

As a side note, if you build a widow mine first, it will finish by 5:10 which is the timing that the earliest Oracle will pop out where if they do go for this cheese of a super fast oracle rush, they will be very behind once the widow mine 1 shots the oracle down.
The best thing I can think of is bunker up and build up an army. In my experience, people who rush are !@#$ty mid/late game. If you can stop their rush and force them into a large scale battle, it will be your advantage because they put their time and resources into a failed attack. So when you defend, you expand. and eventually you will out resource them and out produce them.