XP and Swarm Levels

General Discussion
At first I thought this could be useful information on the load screen. For example, your terran opponent has a swarm level of 17. It tells you how experienced he is with that particular race. Except I was wrong. The Swarm level on the load screen is the total for all the races. This guy I beat had level 17 but he was 5 for zerg, 9 for terran, and 3 for toss.

I'm trying to keep an open mind with XP and levelling up but I can't help but think it is totally useless. They might as well have just put the number of games played on the load screen - it's basically the same thing. Unless there are players out there who actually focus on getting XP during a game instead of winning.

It's also the first screen that pops up after a game, even if it's ranked (where wins are the focus), which I find really annoying.

I can understand XP for a roleplaying game where you actually get more powerful as you level up but for an rts its completely meaningless. I could max out on XP without ever having won a game.

In summary and in my humble opinion,

1) they should have the Swarm level on the load screen be the total for the race you are playing so it can at least give some useful information.

2) they should have the score summary be the first screen to appear in ranked play.
I can understand XP for a roleplaying game where you actually get more powerful as you level up but for an rts its completely meaningless. I could max out on XP without ever having won a game.

The main point I believe is to not only give players a sense of acomplishment, so they keep playing, but to also prevent portrait farmers in HotS.

This way you can't just play a game for a few minutes and leave. If you finish a game, then you will get more experience towards your goals.
I'm not wow'd by the XP system, but I'm not unhappy about its presence either. It's kind of fun working toward the mostly meaningless rewards offered by it.

Explaining it to my wife when she was inquiring over my shoulder brought a lot of positive reaction. She seems more amused by it than me. I'm sure there are some who love it.

's all good, IMO... *shrug
The loading screen tells you what league they are already.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=395674

I know but if someone has a terran level of 3 it could tell you he's off-racing.
The more I see that XP screen come up, especially after a loss, the more I want to punch my screen. I don't give a rats !@# about XP and I don't want it to be the first screen to appear after a game, expecially a ranked one that i lost.

Anyone else feel the same?
The levels dont matter anyway everybody will be level 30 with there races in a month.

That only shows 1v1 rank even in team games.

So when I play my team games, people expect me to know how to play when I have roughly no idea what I'm doing every time I random as Terran or Zerg.
Ok so I read the thread and I really don't care about the leveling XP that much...What I do care about however is the fact that I have maxed out my Terran to level 5 and it told me to exit to a browser to get past the leveling cap. I did not do this as it seemed like a waste of time but now I can't find out how to extend my level cap...Any ideas?
Ok so I read the thread and I really don't care about the leveling XP that much...What I do care about however is the fact that I have maxed out my Terran to level 5 and it told me to exit to a browser to get past the leveling cap. I did not do this as it seemed like a waste of time but now I can't find out how to extend my level cap...Any ideas?

You must purchase HotS expansion pack in order to breach your level cap. If you have purchased HotS but are still experiencing the level cap, open a support ticket: https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/status
I already was way ahead of you, OP. Not intentionally, but I did consider the enjoyable thought that I might fool a person as to my potential skill with whatever race I go into ladder with when I have levels for each race (and I do). I thought it would be possibly intimidating even though it's nothing big.

Other than that, leveling is a nice achievement I enjoy. I can't wait to have dark zealots. Those guys look freakin' awesome!

04/13/2013 04:37 PMPosted by Caelum

You must purchase HotS expansion pack in order to breach your level cap. If you have purchased HotS but are still experiencing the level cap, open a support ticket: https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/status

Thank you! This helps explain why I saw people with levels sucking me into WOL melee games.
So every one of my classes will cap at level 5 until I purchase HotS expansion?!?! (sucks)
So every one of my classes will cap at level 5 until I purchase HotS expansion?!?! (sucks)

Just buy it. It's definitely one of the better expansions Blizzard has put out there, although maybe not so revolutionary as BW.

I know but if someone has a terran level of 3 it could tell you he's off-racing.

At this point, it could just mean they're a WoL grand master terran who just started building up their terran "experience" levels.

The experience system is just a less grindy way to unlock portraits for completionists, and combined with the ordered Training > vs AI > Unranked > Ranked layout, the goal of the experience system seemed to be to encourage new players to follow a path that would lead them into ladder rather than throwing ranked play at them from the start. If experience helps motivate new players early on to get them into the real mechanics of the game, it helps the odds that they'll stick with it, so in that sense it's good for the game.

For people who play every other day, your main race will immediately max level, and even your off races will max out pretty fast so I don't think it's useful in the way you're trying to use it.

You can only level up Terran if you have not bought the expansion.

Just get the expansion! :)
It is completely useless
It is completely useless

It's useful for me in claiming to have more Zerg experience than you. :P
Yeah, I feel like punching the screen often.