Persistent "Preparing Game Data"

Mac Technical Support
Each time I fire up SC2, after hitting "Play" on the Launcher, I get a dialog box which says "Preparing Game Data 350 MB / 550 MB" and it proceeds to download ~200MB of data before launching the client proper.

A little searching on this topic indicates that clearing various cache files and/or resetting file permissions should fix this, but I've tried doing all the following without success:

(this is on OS X 10.7.5)

  • Reset permissions (R/W for all) recursively on Starcraft II folder
  • Deleted Library/Application Support/
  • Deleted Library/Application Support/Blizzard/Starcraft II
  • Deleted Library/Caches/net.battle.*
  • Deleted Library/Caches/com.blizzard.*
  • Deleted Library/Preferences/com.blizzard.*
  • Deleted Library/Preferences/net.battle.*
  • Deleted Shared/
  • Deleted Shared/Blizzard/StarCraft II/
  • Deleted StarCraft II/Cache
  • Deleted all *.lockfile files
  • Deleted StarCraft II/Updates (which, though only 98MB in size, triggers a 3GB download)

So far, no luck. I did confirm that I'm able to launch and run D3 and WoW, so it's not any of the shared launcher files (if any) which are the culprit. Are there any other files or directories that I'm missing? I'm worried that blowing away the client and re-downloading it from scratch will not fix it either. If I were to do so, what else would I have to delete in order to completely expunge all residual traces of SC2 (damn files are like burrowed zerglings, they're everywhere) from the system so that I can start from scratch?
Thanks for the report Flick. I've seen this from time to time.

I'll try to inquire why the client does this to see if it is a bug or something that can be easily resolved. Stay tuned!
Any luck?
Solved the problem by emptying the trash and restarting. It seems that there were some files which had been moved to the trash, but their file locks had never been removed. This may have been caused by interrupting the initial update.

So, add to the list of troubleshooting techniques: restart and empty trash.
I'm on Windows 7 64bit, what did it for me was checking inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Blizzard Entertainment, I found "Starcraft" and "Starcraft (1)" directories. I haven't played SC2 for a year, and I noticed the date on the "Starcraft" directory was from 2012, while the "Starcraft (1)" directory was recent.

So I deleted the old "Starcraft" directory and renamed "Starcraft (1)" to "Starcraft", and the game loaded just fine.
Nvm ;)

Join the Conversation

Return to Forum