what's the point of the +2 bunker upgrade?

General Discussion
it costs 100/100, takes a long time to build, and it seems kind of pointless. The +2 building armor upgrade is useful to protect supply depot walls from lings and missile turrets from mutas. But the +2 bunker upgrade seems kind of pointless.
Why not?
it gives your CCs more cargo space. means more protection by PFs during raids and more transport when youre flying to an expo.

which is to say, very little point.
That's why none of the pros ever get it. In fact, I have only ever played one game where I saw a terran player get the upgrade, and I won handily.

The only time I ever saw a pro use it was in WCS 2012 and Day9 was completely surprised by it, and he was knocked off guard because it changes the way that bunkers look. He didn't know what was going on at first, it's so rare and unused.
+2 cargo spaces? By the way, it also increases the CC/PF loading space from 5 to 10.

But yeah, no point in it's current form. It would be a really REALLY awesome addition to the game if Blizzard, perhaps, halved its current absurd 110s build time and made it cost something like 75/50 or 100/25. That way, a Terran could potentially use it if he's able to properly scout an all in 55s in advance.

Would lead to a number of strategic opportunities, and would have zero effect past helping Terrans vs the stupid number of all ins currently available; as bunkers become irrelevant past the 10 minute mark.
Should just merge it with building armor or something which actually has uses or turret range.
+2 cargo spaces? By the way, it also increases the CC/PF loading space from 5 to 10.

But yeah, no point in it's current form. It would be a really REALLY awesome addition to the game if Blizzard, perhaps, halved its current absurd 110s build time and made it cost something like 75/50 or 100/25. That way, a Terran could potentially use it if he's able to properly scout an all in 55s in advance.

Would lead to a number of strategic opportunities, and would have zero effect past helping Terrans vs the stupid number of all ins currently available; as bunkers become irrelevant past the 10 minute mark.

This could have the side effect of making bunker rushes/timing attacks overpowered. I think bunkers are good enough at serving their purpose as is
Allon made a post about combining neosteel bunkers with the building armor upgrade.
instead of +2 cargo space, all units inside should get an additional +1 attack range. That would be more helpful.
yeah.. kinda useless

This could have the side effect of making bunker rushes/timing attacks overpowered. I think bunkers are good enough at serving their purpose as is

Yes, I'm going to build an engineering bay, and then mine 50 gas, and then wait another 55 seconds and then utilize TWO extra marines in a bunker WHILE bunker rushing.
That would be what I call a... f---ing terrible idea.

Timing attacks? There are no timing attacks which involve offensive bunkers unless it's a bunker rush, in which case, as I already explained, gas would be out of the question.

Yes, I'm going to build an engineering bay, and then mine 50 gas, and then wait another 55 seconds and then utilize TWO extra marines in a bunker WHILE bunker rushing.
That would be what I call a... f---ing terrible idea.

Timing attacks? There are no timing attacks which involve offensive bunkers unless it's a bunker rush, in which case, as I already explained, gas would be out of the question.

There aren't any right now, but you're proposing halving the research time and cost of a very useful upgrade, effectively generating a new timing. It won't take much manipulation to find a point where a protoss or terran player is weak, and putting a bunker at the front to support an army of marines and maybe a tank or two.
This upgrade would have been great for Orc Burrows.
It would be cool if they combined that upgrade with building armor. Make Neosteel Frame give Buildings +2 armor and give Bunkers +2 space and CCs +5 space. The cost could increase to 200/200 possibly to keep it balanced. It works fine for me, and even sounds appropriate.
I would like to resurrect this thread as we are in testing phase of LoTV.

Perhaps DK and the gang could take a look at either including this in their testing?

I would suggest either including it into the bunker when upgrading the CC to an OC. This would help with the expansions and may see more use. With that said, perhaps increasing the cost for amount of uses it would add.

But, the cost is quiet high. Another alternative could be to lower the cost to at least half as suggested years ago and keep it in its current state.

Either way, can you please look into this or shed some light on what you think about this upgrade?
I feel this is a justified necrobump, since the alternative would have been a completely new thread about literally the same thing, but others might not agree. :P

Anyway, I saw the idea a few posts back about combining the Neosteel Frame with either the building armor or the range upgrade, which seems reasonable enough. I don't think it would be game breaking either way.
07/11/2015 12:00 AMPosted by Dullstar
I feel this is a justified necrobump, since the alternative would have been a completely new thread about literally the same thing, but others might not agree. :P

Anyway, I saw the idea a few posts back about combining the Neosteel Frame with either the building armor or the range upgrade, which seems reasonable enough. I don't think it would be game breaking either way.

I did it only to show it was a concern two years ago and I think it would be a great addition to both mech and bio perhaps in Legacy.

Adding the bunker upgrade into the Orbital Command upgrade, along with the cargo it can hold from 5 to 10. This could really help both a bio player for more production, but also a mech player to assist with expanding and safely deal with run by's and harass.

The armor could remain a separate upgrade. They could test both and make the best decision about it if they haven't already played around with it.
Trust me it makes a real diffrence. My friend, the mech player, upgrades it everytime. If his pf die he says its because he has forgotten the upgrade.