Starcraft RPG

Joeyray's Bar
I've got a major character for you, though he kinda borders on minor as well:
A mercenary/merchant, before I craft out the character any more I need to know if you're going to have items in the game. Though it's ludicrous to make an RPG without any items, I just want to make sure.
There won't be items as in inventory items, but there certainly will be items such as keys to doors, weapons, armor, etc.

I will have several merchants to buy improved weapons and mods that your character could easily sell.
"I think this goes without saying... But a raving old man talking about ludicrous things that eventually come true or about the past, like for example 'Back when I was a boy the Confederacy seemed just, not it just seems plain mean... Just like this crazy government!' or 'A THOUSAND EYES TRAPPED BETWEEN INCINERATION AND CLAW!' Don't you agree (note, outside of homicidal insanity I suck, and even there my insanity is more stemmed in bloodthirst)."
Alright, threw this guy together. Kinda messy
I recommend Spectre model for the character
High quality gear, high prices

Sydraka Averous
A man who never reveals his cards but will always show you his wares.
One cannot describe him as shifty, try as they might. Though very few know of him, those that do can swear by him. Some see him as an inept vendor, though others see him as a unique dealer. None can argue on the superiority of his ware. If one were to run into him, it's almost impossible to tell that he peddles items. Only when inquired as to what hobbies or occupation he holds does he reveal his commodities.
Those that have dealt with him know these to be true:
  • He does not boast of his collection, unlike many merchants who have annexed items of similar quality.
  • He does not advertise his products, unlike any other business man.
  • He does not negotiate, take it or leave it.
  • It is uncertain if he retains any satisfaction from his transactions, and makes little conversation with his clientele. If he can be coaxed into revealing his background, he breaks his customary stoicism and speaks of "magic". As a child he was very interested in illusions, he learned every trick there was and then invented some of his own. He still practices it in his down time. Though he is always vague when it comes to anything beyond that. His motives are ambiguous at best, stating his aims to be wide.
    Being rather resigned, he never encourages the character, but neither dissuades them. He is seemingly indifferent as to whether the character purchases his wares, and doesn't need the money. He has a despondent deposition towards life, often pronouncing it sparse in meaning.
    In the game the character may encounter Sydraka many times, as he will appear ostensibly at random, often in somewhat hidden areas (e.g. Back alleys of settlements) or places that one would not expect an average Terran to be (e.g. Ancient Protoss temples). When questioned he will be allusive about his purpose there.
    I think this goes without saying... But a raving old man talking about ludicrous things that eventually come true or about the past

Thanks for the idea!

Sydraka Averous

BOOM! Love him. Awesome, thanks! Sydraka will definitely be in the game. Avikon.157 will be credited appropriately.

However, I would like to request a few details:

What are his wares, exactly? With such a character, he could sell practically anything! I'm thinking advanced weapons/weapon mods and prototype equipment. What do you think?

Also, you made him seem like a very quiet dude. Do you care if the Protagonist is allowed to ask him questions about the colony or his opinion on politics, etc. (Note: His opinion on politics might be non existent)
    advanced weapons/weapon mods and prototype equipment

Pretty much that, I was thinking he should have unique items with above-par stats and active/passive abilities. And maybe you could add a unique currency that can only be spent at his shop? Or spent else where, but is the only currency he takes?
    He won't have a very wide selection, maybe 5 items at a time. Each specifically tailor to a certain role.

05/19/2013 05:38 PMPosted by ThaneKrios
    Do you care if the Protagonist is allowed to ask him questions about the colony or his opinion on politics, etc.

He doesn't care much for politics, he usually bypasses government and security altogether.
    He'll definitely talk, but he's more than reluctant to reveal his secrets. He'll open up on the topics of illusions and engineering. He'll take credit for some of the items he sells, telling the character that he put a lot of effort into it and to use it wisely.
    Awesome, thanks much! I haven't gotten far enough to actually start designing him, but he will definitely be in there somewhere! I look forward to making him and seeing your thoughts on him once the game is finished :)
    May the Khala guide you through your endeavors.
    *Ahem!*
    I meant Good luck with the map...
    Thanks, Avikon! Feel free to add more things as you think of them! I definitely could use the creativity!
    I feel obligated to write the dialogue for Sydraka since I made him,
    Could you go into detail about the system you're putting in place for the dialogue?
    Sure! The style is a cross between Mass Effect dialog, Knights of the Old Republic and Fallout Dialog. The actual format is Fallout. There is a box where the speaker's subtitles reside, then there is a List box containing several different reply options.

So for merchants, it would probably look a little something like this:

"Let me see your wares" -Open the shop dialog
    "Mind if I ask you a few questions?" -Pretty much "Investigate" from Mass Effect
    "Goodbye" -Self explanatory.

does that answer your question at all? I'm fine with you writing most dialog, but you couldn't possibly write ALL of it.

For your character, the questions you would probably be able to ask is the following:

"What do you think of the other merchants in town?"
    "Why are you so secretive?"
    "Where do you get your wares?"
    "Need any work done?"
    "What do you think of the Dominion on this colony?"
    "Who are you?"

Every merchant can say something along these lines.
    How long do you think you'll be working on this, so I have a deadline?
    I might need time, I like to put as much personality as I can.
    You'll have a lot of time. Probably a few months. I work... slowly :P
    Hey Thane, hit me up in Starcraft sometime where we can talk more, I might have some ideas/characters semi-premade from a fan-fic I'm writing.

Character Name: Theata
    CC: #509
    Hm.. I don't get online that much anymore :\

What's stopping you from dropping your ideas here?
    Time constraints mainly. I also prefer an IRC/IM program or VoIP program (in substitution of in person communication) so that things can be communicated quickly while minimizing the risk of of misinterpreted data (and damage when something is inevitable misinterpreted.)

If you don't use the game very often you can use my public email to contact me if you wish which is:
    theironangel@hotmail.co.nz

My ideas also tend to be very free-style with a loose baseline which I adapt to what is needed or liked. Its more of an "I give you a basic character who fills XXXXX role, you tell me what you want the character to do or whether you like it and then I adapt it more and come back with a more complete product."

If you were wondering, I work part time at a yet un-named, under-budgeted, under-staffed Game Developer as part of the Character and Story-line design section... actually... Currently I am both sections, hence I'm quite busy.

EDIT: Wording change.
    Time constraints mainly. I also prefer an IRC/IM program or VoIP program (in substitution of in person communication) so that things can be communicated quickly while minimizing the risk of of misinterpreted data (and damage when something is inevitable misinterpreted.)

No matter how you slice or dice it, we are going to be using text to communicate. The risk of misinterpreted data is just as strong than if we were in a chat system.

If you don't use the game very often you can use my public email to contact me if you wish which is:
    theironangel@hotmail.co.nz

I guess this will work if you REAALLY can't just come back here.

My ideas also tend to be very free-style with a loose baseline which I adapt to what is needed or liked. Its more of an "I give you a basic character who fills XXXXX role, you tell me what you want the character to do or whether you like it and then I adapt it more and come back with a more complete product."

Sounds great! But really I need you to bring forth your best and I can place him where I need him, ya know?

If you were wondering, I work part time at a yet un-named, under-budgeted, under-staffed Game Developer as part of the Character and Story-line design section... actually... Currently I am both sections, hence I'm quite busy.

So... You're designing your own game or something? Hahaha, good luck! Just using the map editor is hard and I already have all the code, models, voice, etc.
    So... You're designing your own game or something? Hahaha, good luck! Just using the map editor is hard and I already have all the code, models, voice, etc.

Not just me, there are others but the project doesn't exactly have much funding. I can't say anything about it (Contract & NDA) but I'm just doing the text base for the characters and some of the story-line aspects like main dialogue. Email me anytime, I can check that from work, but for now, my break time is over. Back to the grindstone!
    You should involve a powerful metamorph in this. A metamorph is a Zerg who can guide its own evolution. It could be a Zerg who was experimented on by the Terrans, who then is freed upon the building being destroyed. It lost its connection to the Zerg hive-mind. It's a Larva who was genetically spliced with Creep and a little Protoss, which makes it almost intelligent, and pretty strong, and turns it into a new creature entirely.

It is stranded on a jungle planet, and consumes a whole lot of its population. It makes a new swarm, finding every little creature on the planet and infesting them into new creatures. It doesn't have the ability to mass produce the creatures like the Swarm, but it can fuze creature's essence together to make more. In the end, it creates a great big creature that's nearly the size of a moon, and leaves the planet. It travels around, attacking planets one at a time with it's army.

What the character has to do is invade the metamorph's moon thing (you can come up with names) and put an end to its leader. You'll fight new Zerg creatures, and will have to fight through the biological tunnels to get to the core, where you will face off with the giant Hybrid-ish Zerg. You can come up with a multitude of new types, though you'll have to not use the standard Zerg models and names. This gives you the capability of having Zerg vs off-Zerg battles that you wouldn't have usually.
    That's a great idea! Unfortunately, I already have a plot. I do plan on making a sequel, however. If I do, I will seriously consider this. If I choose to use this, Martiny.252 will be credited appropriately :)

Thank you for your input.