resolution

Technical Support
Dear Blizzard,

Please allow us to use 640x480 and 800x600 resolutions in Starcraft 2. It makes it tough to use our favorite mice with limited DPI such as intellimice for me & logitech mini optical for other people. Before any troll flames come along, please realize not everyone enjoys the new crappy mice with mouse prediction and 2 lbs of weight. I don't want to switch from a mice I've used for ~10 years just because of a fixable resolution.

For one, with many amazing 400 dpi mice and SC1 players transitioning over are used to 640x480 as well. Trust me, it does not feel nice to have to skip pixels to make our mouse move faster at the minimum resolution of 1024x768.

Although I think it is great so many resolutions are supported, many people don't care about graphics and feel most comfortable at 640x480 and 800x600 for quick mouse movement and clarity. It would also make it so computers with lower graphics ability can play Starcraft 2 easier. More profit and happier players? :)

This would only effect the game positively since anyone who doesn't want it doesn't have to use it.

Thanks.
I dont see any problem with adding the requested resolutions. If a SC player would prefer a certain resolution let him, any player should be able to choose which ever resolution best fits him or her.
Can you not force whatever resolution you want by editing 'variables.txt'?
The art textures would likely have to be redone for resolutions that low, as well have modeling sizes be adjusted etc.

Seems like a lot of work to benefit very few people.

Just go buy a modern 1200+ dpi mouse for the whopping 5-15 dollars it cost. Microcenter for example, as them for a whopping $4.97; $8.97 will get you a cheapy new keyboard with it.
I just tried it ravagetalon and it didn't work unfortunately. I would've loved you forever. :P

Bacon, it isn't the hardware. I have about 10 "modern" gaming mice sitting here that I dispise. All of them have really annoying flaws from mouse prediction to mouse acceleration. Even a 120hz acer lcd and a solid i7 computer.

I figured I'd give the request a try even though I don't think it'll happen. =)
This is an awful request. I feel bad for blizzard after I read all these idiotic posts here they have to deal with. Maybe your next thread should ask blizzard to shoot warm skittles out of your dvd drive after you get pwned hard because you want them to make you feel good after you're dominated so hard.

Perhaps you should learn to use a mouse in the 21st century. This is a non-issue, period.
yes, let's ask blizzard to waste developer time going back to 2001 with their game instead of value-added services like chat or expansions.
lolthread
I just tried it ravagetalon and it didn't work unfortunately. I would've loved you forever. :P

Bacon, it isn't the hardware. I have about 10 "modern" gaming mice sitting here that I dispise. All of them have really annoying flaws from mouse prediction to mouse acceleration. Even a 120hz acer lcd and a solid i7 computer.

I figured I'd give the request a try even though I don't think it'll happen. =)

Make sure you disable, "enhance pointer precision" in windows, which is turned on by default (this is modern version of mouse acceleration, which speeds up your cursor depending how fast you move the mouse across the screen). Additionally, make sure the slider is kept in the exact middle of how fast it moves. Bringing it up will cause it to skip pixils, which makes it less accurate. Also if you've been used to the enhances pointer precision, it'll feel weird for a bit using the mouse in other applications until you become accustomed.

But expecting or even hoping that a company would devote time to reskinning and remodelling an entire game to support a resolution no longer supported by almost any game made in the past decade, is just lol.

and most cheapo USB mice like the basic logitech or microsoft ones, are 1200-1800 dpi, gaming mice are usually 2400-4800 dpi, though you really don't need more then what the basic mice give you unless you play on resolutions higher then 1920x1080. For the draconic and pixilated 1024x768, any cheapo 1200dpi mouse with pointer precision disabled it more then enough to cover your entire screen 1 pixil at a time without running out of mouse room or moving your hand too far.

Make sure you disable, "enhance pointer precision" in windows, which is turned on by default (this is modern version of mouse acceleration, which speeds up your cursor depending how fast you move the mouse across the screen). Additionally, make sure the slider is kept in the exact middle of how fast it moves. Bringing it up will cause it to skip pixils, which makes it less accurate. Also if you've been used to the enhances pointer precision, it'll feel weird for a bit using the mouse in other applications until you become accustomed.

But expecting or even hoping that a company would devote time to reskinning and remodelling an entire game to support a resolution no longer supported by almost any game made in the past decade, is just lol.

and most cheapo USB mice like the basic logitech or microsoft ones, are 1200-1800 dpi, gaming mice are usually 2400-4800 dpi, though you really don't need more then what the basic mice give you unless you play on resolutions higher then 1920x1080. For the draconic and pixilated 1024x768, any cheapo 1200dpi mouse with pointer precision disabled it more then enough to cover your entire screen 1 pixil at a time without running out of mouse room or moving your hand too far.

Yeah, enhanced pointer precision is off and I use XP+a mouse fix. The whole reason I said this is because microsoft mice are 400 dpi so it makes it hard to play 1024x768 sometimes and I keep it at 50% and 6/11 windows. So I know what you mean... just all the new mice with high dpi suck. =(
lol :D

I think u shouldn`t have any problems at all with that beautifull 400 dpi mouse, the one I have is 400 dpi, 10 years old too, I certainly use the mouse fix and had no problems playing at all, just a matter of getting used to the diferent type of movement.

I was thinking about gettin a new fancy 2400 dpi mouse for mi FPS fix, since I wanted to improve at it, but then I saw in a forum the mouse fix and been using it ever since, so no need for a new mouse!!! 8D

Soo no need for a 800x600 resolution, since imho sc2 would look no too pretty to say the least, ;) just a lot o' practice hahahahaha!!!

I play in 1920x1080 fyi
Can you not force whatever resolution you want by editing 'variables.txt'?

Yeah.

width=
height=

EDIT: You can also edit the Monitor refresh rate. Which is also a known issue.
Hi can u help me pls, my native screen resolution is 1650x1080, and when i set to any other resolution beside native it is not full screen. There is a lot of black space , like my monitor is cut off. I cant play very well on 1650x1080 i have lags cos my pc is not that great, can u help me so detect a problem. So i can play on like 1280x1050. I know this but is out a date, anyway thx :D sorry for my bad english :P
Yeah I think buying an updated mouse would be a better solution than having an $80,000/yr software engineer make a change for you. Sorry. Life is tough sometimes.