Idea: swarm host/hydra/festor/viper

Zerg Discussion
I've been using Swarm Hosts a lot, and I've been wondering if this might be some sort of ultimate combo with them.

The idea is:

Swarm Hosts make up the main army, often times spewing out locusts when it gets the chance. If you have map control so the enemy can't expand, and a number of these guys pounding on your enemy's defenses, they are likely behind.

Hydras are intended to be the AA if there is air, and support DPS when there isn't since the upgrade added for HotS helps hydras move at "on creep" speed even when off creep. Can also keep a few at your bases to guard against drops and such. If more AA is needed, you can do like I've seen Rekatan do and build spore crawlers while spreading creep towards the enemy.

Infestors may have been nerfed like crazy since WoL, but one thing hasn't changed: the DPS and AoE capabilities of fungal growth. Even though the spell is a (dodgeable) bullet now, when it does hit, its perfect for forcing a group of enemies into place so that they can't escape, and proper use can almost be like throwing banelings at the enemy, much like the ones from the HotS campaign (sort of). Of course a group of them can also sneak into unguarded expansions to plop infested terrans in like in WoL, so they have multiple uses.

And Vipers, this army may be strong enough without them, but vipers seal the deal. Want to use neural parasite? When combined with abduct, it may as well reach like a siege tank. Want to snipe a colosus or another high priority unit? Again, abduct. Want to shut down hostile AoE? Just use blinding cloud on a group of siege tanks or fungaled colossi, and no worries.

Some of these units may be slow, but I think there's an answer: nydus worms. Even though a lot of people say they are useless, proper use and defending of nydus worms can help an army move as fast as speedlings. Doom drop coming? hop in the nydus worm. Need to escape? Nydus worm. Want to generate creep on an expo an enemy might use? Can give a nydus worm a shot. I think nydus worms may also have more potential than some people may notice.

Foreseen Pros:
1. Proper use can prove to be even more powerful than infestor/broodlord back in WoL, especially with various other units like Ultralisks thrown in as needed.
2. The fungal growth thrown in can force enemies to lose units every time you find their army. Ever find it annoying that you can't kill certain groups of enemies because they keep running away? Not anymore. :)

Obvious Cons:
1. Widow mines can still be annoying. They can stop an entire wave of locusts, and its even more devastating if they catch your army off guard. Fortunately, they can be delt with since hydras are involved, but being careful is still a necessity.
2. Swarm Hosts are somewhat slow without creep or nydus worm use, and don't do anything while unburrowed, so there's another reason to be careful. They also may be difficult to use in general if you haven't practiced Swarm Host micro (burrow, locusts, unburrow immediately, reposition, and repeat).
3. All of this stuff is at least lair tech, and includes only ranged attackers, so starting out with ling/bling may not really be supported by a build revolving around this army composition. You can try roaches instead at least.

Note: my idea is that this can work in all matchups.

What do you guys think of this?
People are already doing this, mate. Thanks for sharing the ideas though! It may be useful for some to see the composition written out!

~Cheers
Check out Nerchio's last couple ZvP's. I believe it is him who is popularizing this play style as well.

~Cheers
And Scarlett recently did this vs Crank. Worked for a while but she was not aggressive enough with the hosts.
lol
This composition is very scary to go up against, but I feel it is very weak to mass drop play. Zerg already has enough issues with drops as it is, and going for a very slow composition won't help you one bit. It is very strong on maps that have a good position that you can sit in and siege the Terran at while still defending fairly easily. Maps such as Akilon Wastes and Bel'Shir Vestige come to mind. I feel like this has the same kind of issues that Terran mech does where in direct engagements, you will just roll the other player, but there isn't much room to "outplay" your opponent the same way muta/ling/bling does.

You also rely much on your swarm hosts, and if the die, that almost always means game over. I've seen this compostion work well without the swarm hosts and substituting in roaches instead. I see many Zerg players open 3 base roach aggression into roach/hydra/viper and tacking on Infestors towards the end. Just the substitution adds much more mobility to your army and, imo, adds more of a "micro-able" aspect to the core units.
I used this composition against Terran and it works, no matter what they make. I used every unit except for Corruptor/Broodlord.

My game:
http://drop.sc/340265
Some of these units may be slow, but I think there's an answer: nydus worms. Even though a lot of people say they are useless, proper use and defending of nydus worms can help an army move as fast as speedlings. Doom drop coming? hop in the nydus worm. Need to escape? Nydus worm. Want to generate creep on an expo an enemy might use? Can give a nydus worm a shot. I think nydus worms may also have more potential than some people may notice.

so you essentially want to use the Nydus Worms as Nydus Canals? I like this. I like this a lot.
This is a standard late game ZvP strat :P

In particular the ROOT guys really like it, along with heavy static D.

It also works great against mech.

It doesn't work well against bio or in zvz, because you'll never have the time/money to actually get there. (against bio you'll just get mass dropped or they'll stim/drop to kill your SH early in the game before you can get fungals to hold them down). In zvz, it's just to expensive to afford that much tech. Getting to hive is rare enough
Already quite popular, in fact there is a day9 daily from like a month ago dedicated to this strategy.
I think it would be better to remove hydras and go with mutas, lose dps but gain mobility, use bc
Soon after making this thread, I noticed one other problem during as ZvP: facing several colossi still tends to melt the hydralisks (at least when the fungal + cloud isn't in effect).

I'm guessing people could throw in mutas for extra harass possibilities and drop sniping, and corruptors could mess with colos too. Another option is setting up an area of spine crawlers to abduct things into to take care of them.

I've also noticed that abduct also works for denying a medivac its escape, so a viper or so at base could be the only thing a small drop sniping group of hydras might need.