New Zerg here! Any tips/tricks?

Zerg Discussion
What are builds in GENERAL, not just against a specific race?

When do I upgrade?

When do I have my 2nd/3rd hatcheries?

What are good in general unit compositions?

Any good build orders?
Also, I seem to keep forgetting when to go to Lair then hive.
Check out LowkoTV and F3nner on YouTube. They have many guides that are helpful.
6 pool < 10 pool < 13 pool < 15 pool < hatch first < 6 pool.

and on to vs toss and vs terran.. dont get caught making 1 round too many of drones, otherwise.. drone.

build order? no such thing, thats only for terran and toss.

and last of all.. rush < safe < greedy < rush.
1) Make drones until your eyes bleed and you're scared to death that the other guy is coming to get you.

2) Make a million units and play "Bulldozer" with his base.

3) Practice that until you're good at it.
In SC2, it is shockingly difficult to write down "general" guidelines because you there are so many variables, even in early game. But I can try.

06/27/2013 03:34 PMPosted by Spyte
What are builds in GENERAL, not just against a specific race?

If I'm setting myself for a macro game, I try to go for the four queen opener. It works pretty well against toss and terran, but you have to try scout early aggression. If it works, you can macro like a beast, while spreading a lot of creep.

Don't use this for zvz though... zvz is a completely different ball of wax.

===
15 hatch
16 pool

Pool & hatch should finish at the same time.

Queue 2 queens and keep droning.
Make 4 early lings for scouting, taking towers, etc. I usually place one outside my opponent's base, so I know when they move out.

Place overlords so you can spot drops.

@100% queens take 2 gas; inject with one queen and creep tumor with the other.
Make 2 more queens immediately. They will be your dedicated creep spreaders.

Drone more, spread creep.

@6:00 - 6:30 take a third.

@100% queens, double evo chambers and take quick upgrades
Go lair
===

Obviously, adapt to what your opponent is doing, but that is how I open up on macro games and it works out pretty well. It's vulnerable to early drop play though, and particularly reaper harassment, since you won't have early speed.

When do I upgrade?

I don't have any specific memory rule for this. I try to take +1/+1 pretty early, especially since I know other players tend to forget them, and it helps immensely. Probably not a very useful advice. Maybe someone else can give a better reply for that.

When do I have my 2nd/3rd hatcheries?

Essentially, as zerg you always want to be 1 base above terran or protoss. That means going either pool -> hatch or the other way around. Hatch first is risky and can be punished, particularly by cannons. If your opponent is expanding, you want to take your third around the 6 minute mark, and expand accordingly.

A good memory rule though; if you don't have the macro to spend three base worth of income, it is almost better to not try. Obviously you should, but when practicing, and in the lower leagues, you can get away without it, and it works out better for you, since all those drones that are mining minerals that you are not using, could have been army units, or at least static defense.

What are good in general unit compositions?

When learning the units and compositions, roach + hydra is a common zerg staple. Same with ling + banes, and infestor and mutalisks. What you should get depends on your opponent but those units tend to counter most of the lower league unit combos that you'll be facing.

Hope that helped. Good luck.
1) Make drones until your eyes bleed and you're scared to death that the other guy is coming to get you.

2) Make a million units and play "Bulldozer" with his base.

3) Practice that until you're good at it.

+1

A solid set of advice right here. Laughed so hard, almost fell off my chair :D