Working up the bronze league as Zerg?

Zerg Discussion
Recently started Starcraft 2 and if anyone has any tips to work up the bronze league and beyond, please share. i have played a good amount of a.i matches so i know the basics
Hi,

I'm still a low-leaguer myself but I might be able to offer you a few basic pointers.

1) Play more AI matches. I see you have 18 games to your account. Play more. Keep playing the AI until you can comfortably beat at least 'harder' AI.

2) You're going to hear this basically every time you ask for help: 'Improve your macro'. What the heck is 'macro' ? Building your base - expanding, hitting your larva injects on time, constantly making units, upgrades, spend spend spend that money, don't let it get high.. spread creep.. basically everything aside from controlling your army is macro. Basically get LOTS of STUFF really FAST. Get better at your macro mechanics and you'll leave bronze league in the dust.

3) Learn how to scout, and do it a lot! As a zerg you need to be aware of what your opponent is up to because you need to react to it correctly. Send in zerglings, or overlords/overseers quite often. I reccomend researching the overlord speed upgrade as soon as you feel comfortable.

4) Check out all the guides. There's a thread at the top of this forum: "Guide to Zerg Guides".. the most important are the Day[9] guides, as well as Apollo's "bronze to masters zerg tutorials'". Watch those. They will help you with the age-old zerg conundrum: "when do I make drones, when do I make units".

5) Scout.

6) Hit your injects

7) Macro harder

8) Scout.

9) Scout.

Hope this helps!
Basic mechanics. You had big balls picking zerg to start because it's the most mechanically demanding race, but once you have that the rest is quite easy.

And to have good mechanics, just play alot. Plain and simple
Cannot stress it enough, teach yourself over and over to macro. It feels difficult at first; you feel like the game is moving at warm speed and you need two extra pair of hands, but once you force yourself to practice it, you'll get it, and it gets easier with time.

Bronze league is all about building an economy and learning to produce units. It might seem like there's more to it, but there really isn't. The only other essential skill is to learn how to a-move (click the button A on your key board when you move, so your units automatically attack when encountering the enemy) and some basic understanding of what unit counters what.

Practicing against the AI is a good idea. I did it myself for a long time. Especially the HotS AI is much more interesting. Of course, if you have friends, they make good practice partners.

Don't worry about build orders too much. A lot of people make a fuss out of them and act like they are collecting post cards, but in the lower leagues, you only need to know one or two basic ones. I swear, I can win games left and right and only know what I'm doing half the time :)

Good luck.
Try to beat Very Hard AI consistently. To beat it if you havent, you need 3-base up and running. It practices your macro. Make queens, inject larvaes, building 4 hatcheries on 3 bases and getting 200-supply food from army/drones within 15 min is the goal you want to achieve.

You also need to practice your scouting since a random AI has a chance to rush you at around 7 min. If you want to simulate these aggressive rushes from AI, set AI settings to 'Aggressive'. Lower leagues has tons of rushes. You should be able to identify if he would attack you at around 7 min or 10 min. Clue: he didnt expand.

Macro practice and scouting practice would help you in real 1v1 from Unrank or Rank ladder games. AI is not a perfect simulation but it has similarities to real 1v1.

I am a casual gamer and at lower league like you but I have basics. How did I beat a 200-supply Terran with MMM or Widowmine/Tank/Planetary Fortresses turtlers with overwhelming bases? It's the same way how I beat the Very Hard AI.

Good luck.
thanks man, i will try all of those
06/28/2013 07:12 PMPosted by BigBadZerg
Try to beat Very Hard AI consistently.

This will definitely give you good practice..

But AI is pretty predictable. They have boosted income and push out early. Completely different play style when it comes to actually players. But it will help micro and macro for sure.
06/29/2013 06:23 AMPosted by YenMaster
Try to beat Very Hard AI consistently.

This will definitely give you good practice..

But AI is pretty predictable. They have boosted income and push out early. Completely different play style when it comes to actually players. But it will help micro and macro for sure.

Forces you to learn crazy map control too, heh. :P