The Story

Campaign Discussion
StarCraft/Brood War is my favourite game of all time. So I'd start by saying thanks for the upcoming remaster. One thing that makes a game so good in my opinion is when both the multiplayer AND the single player modes are both great, and could stand alone.

The multiplayer looks to be maintained; well balanced, and such a big and successful community that it revolutionizes esports.

The story is very dear to me as well though. I was not a big fan of StarCraft 2. I know Blizzard had a new direction they wanted to go in with the fictional universe, but I hope that you maintain the story campaigns as much as the multiplayer experience.

The main website already says that Artanis was the executor from the beginning, the one who replaced Tassadar. This was the retcon, and not the original StarCraft single player campaign experience. Aldaris introduces Artanis to the group (Zeratul and you the player, the executor) as the new praetor at the beginning of Brood War, after Tassadar's death.

As well, the Overmind was not a noble rebel against some fallen Xel'naga, he was a powerful entity that evolved beyond the Xel'naga and wiped them all out.

I know the fictional future of StarCraft might have to go in a different direction. But I truly hope Blizzard maintains the original writing and dialogues of StarCraft. Along with the old soundtrack and recordings of the original voice actors.
I liked the SC1 story soooooo much better than SC2.

In SC1 pretty much everything that happened was meaningful, contributing to the story and the characters in it. Everything had impact.

In SC2 the story is pretty much littered with unimportant, inconsequential events that contribute nothing to the story and characters, which are focused less on being well developed, and are more caricatures based on mostly singular traits.
I don't think you have much to worry about. Since this is a remaster, I don't see them changing any of the dialogue, just bumping up the audio quality. I could be wrong of course.

The Artanis thing is a bit tricky. The way it's worded you could either interpret it as you are the previous Executor and Artanis is just a new addition, or you could infer that you are a different Executor and Artanis was the previous one. Prior to SC2, I always assumed the former. I'm not too worried though, because so long as the dialogue doesn't change, we can accept whatever head canon we want.
03/29/2017 05:56 PMPosted by MattV91
I liked the SC1 story soooooo much better than SC2.

In SC1 pretty much everything that happened was meaningful, contributing to the story and the characters in it. Everything had impact.

In SC2 the story is pretty much littered with unimportant, inconsequential events that contribute nothing to the story and characters, which are focused less on being well developed, and are more caricatures based on mostly singular traits.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The story in SC1 is vastly superior in every way. There were twists and turns and shocking moments all over the campaign. In SC2 nothing important ever happened until the final act of each expansion and it was always very predictable. And there were so many character issues. I can't even get started or I'll end up writing pages.
I believe Fenix was the Praetor in the original pre-BW campaign - Artanis replaced him when he got encased in a Dragoon shell after getting mangled in the Zerg invasion of Aiur, pretty sure Tassadar was High Executor of the Protoss Expeditionary Force.
Maybe that is why I had a completely different emotional experience between SC 2 and SC 1. SC 2 was very pretty and I enjoyed them... but man. I remember having 12 queens flying over Fenix and just not killing him because... damn. Not Fenix. Not like this. The betrayal of the queen of blades, the pathos, that son-of-a-b Duran... and that extra mission had just something that pulled at your heart and made you invest in these little characters. I tell you, when Alexi dies... SC story so good...
Starcraft 1 storyline is truly work of art! It really made the characters had their own goals and were shaping the universe. There was no good or bad, there was simply different believes that clashed with each other. I remember trying to finish missions as fast as I could just so I could listen to the next part of the story!

Starcraft 2 does have better mission design, I'll give it that. The story however is really shallow. It feels like all the characters are stuck on a plot railroad and are forced to go in a linear direction. It also feels like the simply scrapped the emotion and build up from SC1.
It felt like the writers got lazy, they made epic Characters such as emperor Mengsk and Kerrigan into shallow villain types. Mengsk who was known for being a master manipulator suddenly could only give bad generic evil man speeches. Kerrigan also became really stupid in the sc2 campaign and made a lot of moves that made no sense at all.
The interaction between Raynor and Tychus was really well made and was one of the highlight of the terran campaign. It's to bad the rest of the characters did not manage to reach that level because of the plot train.
Almost forgot that Zeratul was actually in Sc2. Seeing how I had completely forgotten that shows just how shallow he was made compared to his Sc1 counterpart.

But enough of whining, I hope SC1 story will stay the same! It would be epic if the cinematics could be remade with higher quality. I look forward to have a chance to play though the game again.
04/03/2017 04:50 AMPosted by Grissi
does have better mission design,

Disagree.

but agree with almost everything else.
04/02/2017 05:02 PMPosted by Khaosfyre
I believe Fenix was the Praetor in the original pre-BW campaign - Artanis replaced him when he got encased in a Dragoon shell after getting mangled in the Zerg invasion of Aiur, pretty sure Tassadar was High Executor of the Protoss Expeditionary Force.

I revisit the original StarCraft and Brood War fairly regularly. Executor is the highest military rank among the Protoss. It's not stated clearly, but it seems there can only be one, kind of like the Secretary of Defense in the USA. Praetor seems to second or at least third highest rank, like a general/admiral or then captain. So there can be many, or a few. No reason to think Fenix was demoted. After he became a dragoon, he either remained a praetor or went up to a rank between executor and praetor.

Artanis was never executor.
04/09/2017 09:13 PMPosted by Wolf

I revisit the original StarCraft and Brood War fairly regularly. Executor is the highest military rank among the Protoss. It's not stated clearly, but it seems there can only be one, kind of like the Secretary of Defense in the USA. Praetor seems to second or at least third highest rank, like a general/admiral or then captain. So there can be many, or a few. No reason to think Fenix was demoted. After he became a dragoon, he either remained a praetor or went up to a rank between executor and praetor.

This begs to differ?
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Executor
04/11/2017 10:30 AMPosted by Dreathean
04/09/2017 09:13 PMPosted by Wolf

This begs to differ?

Precisely. Artanis certainly was an Executor. Also, wasn't Fenix seen regarding himself as Praetor when his personality was found to be in the robot during LOTV campaign?
04/11/2017 03:30 PMPosted by StormSabre
<span class="truncated">...</span>

This begs to differ?

Precisely. Artanis certainly was an Executor. Also, wasn't Fenix seen regarding himself as Praetor when his personality was found to be in the robot during LOTV campaign?

You know what's better than a wiki page? The actual game. Artanis was never Executor... until after Brood War when the retcons began.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8YgoPdShRs

See 2 minutes into the video where Aldaris says "After the gate has been secured, Fenix and the new Praetor Artanis shall lead our surviving brethren to Shakuras."

Oh and Aldaris is addressing the player, who is the Executor throughout the game. And then, what are Artanis' first words ever, in the games? What does he say about himself as he's also addressing an Executor?
Yeah the Artanis retcon happened after brood war (probably the stupid garbage books) and madea mockery of SC's continuity.
Yeah, I hope they don't mingle in SCII related stuff in between missions or something.
Artanis is the executor from SC1 (the player character), but it's clear this wasn't the original plan. You can listen to the dialogue (namely his introduction). Artanis says he wants to prove himself and Aldaris responds "We shall see". Pretty sure defeating the Overmind is more than enough.

Tassadar was the executor, but he refused to destroy the Terran worlds. He was considered rogue and Artanis was assigned as the new executor.

Fenix is a Praetor in SC1.

I don't know why the Protoss would assign a new executor during the most crucial portion of the Protoss resettlement. Especially after doing so well against the Zerg on Aiur.

On a side note, am I shadow banned? I made a post and I saw it, but it disappeared after about 20 minutes. I checked multiple web browsers and they weren't there either.
04/12/2017 09:42 PMPosted by DeathTBO
Artanis is the executor from SC1 (the player character), but it's clear this wasn't the original plan. You can listen to the dialogue (namely his introduction). Artanis says he wants to prove himself and Aldaris responds "We shall see". Pretty sure defeating the Overmind is more than enough.

Tassadar was the executor, but he refused to destroy the Terran worlds. He was considered rogue and Artanis was assigned as the new executor.

Fenix is a Praetor in SC1.

I don't know why the Protoss would assign a new executor during the most crucial portion of the Protoss resettlement. Especially after doing so well against the Zerg on Aiur.

On a side note, am I shadow banned? I made a post and I saw it, but it disappeared after about 20 minutes. I checked multiple web browsers and they weren't there either.

No, Artanis was not Executor. When he was first introduced by Aldaris, then when he introduced himself to the Executor, it is stated clearly that he is a Praetor like Fenix. Look at the YouTube link I posted (my last post before this), or go play Brood War yourself. It's the first mission of Brood War (Escape From Aiur, Protoss campaign).
Perhaps you misunderstood me Wolf.

Artanis was retconned into being the SC1 executor (the player character). That's why none of the dialogue makes sense. He wasn't originally going to be the SC1 player character, but during SC2s development they wanted to do away with the player characters.

It's dumb and doesn't make sense, but I choose to ignore most of the SC2 story anyway.
04/13/2017 10:50 AMPosted by DeathTBO
Perhaps you misunderstood me Wolf.

Artanis was retconned into being the SC1 executor (the player character). That's why none of the dialogue makes sense. He wasn't originally going to be the SC1 player character, but during SC2s development they wanted to do away with the player characters.

It's dumb and doesn't make sense, but I choose to ignore most of the SC2 story anyway.

You're right, I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about Brood War instead of SC2 with the retcons. I also like to think of SC2 as a what if (Hollywood took over) kinda story, and that the real StarCraft story still ends at the end of Brood War.