The Story

Campaign Discussion
Well, even as an absolutely massive fan of the original StarCraft and Brood War, I won't be buying this until I see a "Let's Play" of the campaigns/story mode. Need solid confirmation that the story, lore, and original dialogue is unaltered. I won't tolerate retcons.
I've always taken Artanis being Executor in SC1 as a temporary field promotion until the Conclave can sort things out.

Then he receives an official rank as Praetor in Brood War.

After Brood War, for whatever reason the player Executor steps down and Artanis, for his work in SC1 and Brood War, is officially given the rank of Executor.

Executor may be a rank that multiple Protoss officers can have but not a position. An Executor may be a rank that a theater commander would have or a supreme commander. Of course if Executor is an office rather than a rank that just means that Artanis temporarily held the office until someone else more qualified could be recalled from the battlefields beyond Auir.

The Executor from Brood War may have stepped down, gotten himself killed, or else just was not popular enough to be chosen as Heirarch.

While it may seem that there can only be one Executor, it's never explicitly said in any Star Craft source. In StarCraft 2, the term High Executor is used. In the Dark Templar sage, there is an Executor who is killed. Also, in Insurrection, which has yet to have an official canon judgment call made on it, an Executor seems to be a title or rank for Protoss who control large fleets or armies. I'm inclined to believe there are multple Executors with a single High Executor position.
Selendis as BW Executor or we riot.

Bifrost

Praise Mengsk \o/
I only have one complaint with SC1's story.

That is the Overmind died and we didn't get to see the Eternal Swarm.

:(
07/11/2017 04:26 PMPosted by TheUndermind

It is good to see my favorite Overmind follower again.

someone should make a short story of the ETERNAL SWARM

Overmind is screaming in it's cage...

Heh I am evil.
Now confirmed: Cinematics will be upscaled but otherwise unchanged.
07/12/2017 10:06 AMPosted by HyperTurtle
Cinematics will be upscaled but otherwise unchanged.

In a way, I'm slightly disappointed. Fenix's fall was just begging for an extended cinematic.
07/12/2017 10:25 AMPosted by Retloclive
07/12/2017 10:06 AMPosted by HyperTurtle
Cinematics will be upscaled but otherwise unchanged.

In a way, I'm slightly disappointed. Fenix's fall was just begging for an extended cinematic.

I want to see Fenix kill sixteen hydralisks with his bare hands before an ultralisk drops the temple on him.
07/12/2017 10:29 AMPosted by Kelthar
07/12/2017 10:25 AMPosted by Retloclive

I want to see Fenix kill sixteen hydralisks with his bare hands before an ultralisk drops the temple on him.

I want Fenix to drop the temple on himself and three ultralisks after killing sixteen hydralisks with bare hands.
I want to see Fenix kill a Guardian
06/29/2017 09:05 PMPosted by Wolf
Well, even as an absolutely massive fan of the original StarCraft and Brood War, I won't be buying this until I see a "Let's Play" of the campaigns/story mode. Need solid confirmation that the story, lore, and original dialogue is unaltered. I won't tolerate retcons.

Agree, at the first smell of retcon I'll just start burning down things (first my house, then my city, then I'll come to blizz headquarters and do the same).

07/12/2017 07:20 PMPosted by StratosTygo
I want to see Fenix kill a Guardian

I want to see him charge and kill a leviathan (or whatever the big spacefaring things the Overmind attracted to Zerus when it was "young" were)
07/14/2017 12:46 AMPosted by Animanera89
I want to see him charge and kill a leviathan (or whatever the big spacefaring things the Overmind attracted to Zerus when it was "young" were)

An Overlord ?
07/14/2017 02:02 AMPosted by Marsaroandco
07/14/2017 12:46 AMPosted by Animanera89

An Overlord ?

Fenix being smart, also hits his opponent's economy.
07/12/2017 01:00 AMPosted by Skehan

Overmind is screaming in it's cage...

Heh I am evil.

U beggin' for an Infestin, boy?
You ain't gonna get any units capable of such thing as infestation since your economy will be *rekt* by Reapers and Doom Drops.

Thousands of Drones will meet their maker in the afterlife and then beg for Emperor's mercy to be reborn as something else, FOR THEIR LAST AGONIZING MOMENTS AS LOWLY SWARM LIFEFORMS WILL TORMENT THEIR SOULS FOR THREE ETERNITIES.

Bifrost

Praise Mengsk \o/
Don't really want to beat the dead horse on this topic, but just like what everyone else has said, the story in StarCraft to Brood War was far more interesting than SC2. SC2 borrowed heavily of the Mass Effect and Warcraft 3.

Ironically, SC1 had a fairly simple story about betrayal and consequences. The Zerg, the main antagonistic species, represents the embodiment of betrayal since it killed the Xel'Naga that "created" it.

The Terran revolt resulted in the betrayal of Kerrigan from Mengsk. As a consequence the queen of blades was born.

The protoss pride and zealotry betrayed them due to their blind faith of the Khala, and their refusal to join the Dark Templar. As the consequence, they were nearly wiped out by the Zerg, if it weren't for Tassadar's sacrifice.

Despite the loss of the Overmind, the Zerg adapted and evolve by feeding on the actions of Terran and Protoss Brood War proved that the cycle continues as Kerrigan cunningly took over the swarm and killed off powerful heroes.

As a consequences, she became a monster.
One of the weaknesses of StarCraft 2 was that Blizzard backed themselves into a corner by trying to compare themselves with the likes of Disney and big Hollywood blockbusters, instead of continuing to be unique. They let current pop culture and unoriginal stories influence their current games too much. A little is fine, but it was way too much, and they lost sight of what really influenced their original work.

They tried to figure out how to make the 3 races, and their campaigns, as unique as possible, forgetting how they did so in StarCraft 1 and Brood War. They mentioned this constantly during the development of each StarCraft 2 installment. How can we make each race unique? They focused on the mechanics of each race, and how the aliens might be different culturally and biologically. Which is fine, but what else?

In the end, they all wanted to enhance their weapons of war to fight the same big bad guy you find in every movie and game with a "dark lord," (this also leaves your entire story unoriginal and predictable, but back to the uniqueness of the races in StarCraft 1 and Brood War that Blizzard lost):

So how did they make each race/campaign so unique and different from each other in StarCraft 1? It wasn't just, here's a new alien look how different they are with their psionics/biology. The terrans were based on old North American colonial and "wild west" history. The zerg were based on ancient imperial history (where you were conquered, converted or died, and the god-king's word was sacred). And the protoss was based on old medieval history, primarily crusades and religious wars.

These are very different and unique histories. And many of the best fantasy authors will tell you that in order to make a good and original story, you should study history and mythology. Why is Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire arguably the best fantasy story currently? Many reasons, but to start, it's extremely influenced by real history.
04/13/2017 09:07 AMPosted by Wolf
04/12/2017 09:42 PMPosted by DeathTBO
Artanis is the executor from SC1 (the player character), but it's clear this wasn't the original plan. You can listen to the dialogue (namely his introduction). Artanis says he wants to prove himself and Aldaris responds "We shall see". Pretty sure defeating the Overmind is more than enough.

Tassadar was the executor, but he refused to destroy the Terran worlds. He was considered rogue and Artanis was assigned as the new executor.

Fenix is a Praetor in SC1.

I don't know why the Protoss would assign a new executor during the most crucial portion of the Protoss resettlement. Especially after doing so well against the Zerg on Aiur.

On a side note, am I shadow banned? I made a post and I saw it, but it disappeared after about 20 minutes. I checked multiple web browsers and they weren't there either.

No, Artanis was not Executor. When he was first introduced by Aldaris, then when he introduced himself to the Executor, it is stated clearly that he is a Praetor like Fenix. Look at the YouTube link I posted (my last post before this), or go play Brood War yourself. It's the first mission of Brood War (Escape From Aiur, Protoss campaign).

Not to mention that Zeratul had to remind Artanis that Terrans helped kill the Overmind.

If we are to go with the SC2 retcon, how in the hell could he not remember that.

I really wish people would stop trying to act like this isn't a retcon when Blizzard themselves admitted that it was.
07/31/2017 02:00 PMPosted by TheOperative
If we are to go with the SC2 retcon, how in the hell could he not remember that.

Arrogance and overconfidence? Besides, the way the conversation goes, it does not sound like Artanis forgot about the Terrans so much as he was underestimating them.

Even the character bio from the Brood War manual outright mentioned how his pride might end up costing him dearly. I wish I had the exact quote from the manual, but I no longer have my physical copy and the digital version available online seems to be missing the character bios for some reason.