Remove Fog of War

General Discussion
04/04/2017 09:33 AMPosted by Lowell
How about a system where your units have a "field of vision", so what this means is, they can only see things which are near their vicinity?

I think this would be a great compromise between the players who think you should be able to see the entire map, and those who think you shouldn't be able to see anything at all.

Lol that reminds me of the Commandos series
I'm up for the thick fog (black parts) being gone so I can see the expansions but not the entire FoW, it's just not fun if you know what the other team is doing.
Blacked maps are the nature of Starcraft. "Explored" maps (which is the mode in which there is fog of war but you see the map) are being used in many RTS and MOBA games.
In Starcraft, though, it makes the game a little bit more hardcore, just like every other minor mechanic that it has (no idle worker, worker count, automining and so on). All of these, together, make the game much harder than your standard RTS game.

They should remain that way. The remaster is not trying to get new players to play unless they are up for the classical challenge, so if you don't like it you can just go play other games.

I'm against this kind of change.
I am super newb in this kind of games , but removing the fog of war in a rts game is a very bad suggestion
Hey guys, I have just started playing SC:BW and I'm pretty sure I have a good enough idea....

Thank you.

Trolololololol
How stupid can one possibly be? Every RTS I can think of has a fog of war, so either you're a really bad troll or you have NEVER played a single RTS or know enough about the genre to make such a suggestion.

Your demand would literally break the game - the whole game unfolds based on player decisions and scouting. How the hell would you play if the fog was removed? Removing it would cause far too many stalemates because players know exactly what their opponents are doing and how to counter it.

This is nothing short of BS, let me just say that. Troll or not, your idea honestly stinks to high heaven.
04/04/2017 05:16 AMPosted by Koven
Guys, don't trole me please. We need to take this seriously, there are many new players coming into the game and they need to feel welcome and accepted into the community, we can all achieve this together by suggesting changes to this very old game, that quite frankly just isn't up to a 'modern' standard.

Modernity dictates that change must occur and it must be the certain type of change that I require, look if you want to be a trole and not accept change then that's fine, but just leave the discussion to the adults, thanks.

TL;DR no more of this trolley behaviour.

The irony here is too thin for this community.
04/04/2017 03:52 AMPosted by Koven
I have just started playing SC:BW

04/04/2017 03:52 AMPosted by Koven
I'm pretty sure I have a good enough idea of how it works that I can offer my advice on how Blizzard can make this a better game.

You are either one or the other. You can't be both.
04/04/2017 05:22 PMPosted by Toster
The irony here is too thin for this community.

Woah, I just realized he's trolling. Hell, I'm stupid. You got me there @OP!
Fog of War isn't going anywhere, specially in a RTS/military strategy game, sorry. Advance Wars had it back on the GBA , and other games we have all played before.Fog of war doesn't just exist in video games, the military also uses the term fog of war and finds ways to mitigate it in combat operations. Fog of war will always be a issue inside of a combat theater, and can lead to friendly fire and failed missions. Good troll post though, 6.5/10 for originality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fog_of_war
What if I told you.. Chess has no fog of war?.. I do really think it would be very interesting to watch Korean pros play with full map vision.
What if I told you.. Chess has no fog of war?.. I do really think it would be very interesting to watch Korean pros play with full map vision.

Chess also has no unit production or resources, is turn based instead of real time, and ends with the loss of one specific piece. That's not a good comparison. Two strategy games of very different design.
Completely removing fog of war would be terrible but having an option to turn it off could be an interesting way to change things up from time to time. I think t could be fun on small maps like blood bath, especially if you're playing a ffa games with 4 friends on skype or something like that.

04/04/2017 05:04 PMPosted by Legendary
How stupid can one possibly be? Every RTS I can think of has a fog of war, so either you're a really bad troll or you have NEVER played a single RTS or know enough about the genre to make such a suggestion.

IIRC you could turn of fog of war in wc2, you still needed to scout but scouted areas where always visible after the initial scouting. Wc3 also had the option ''always visible'' that turned of fog of war and made the map visible right from the start. So it wouldn't be anything new.
Stop necroing a troll thread. Thx.
01/13/2018 05:56 AMPosted by SuDDenLife
Stop necroing a troll thread. Thx.

These forums really need to start automatically archiving topics that have been inactive for longer than 1 or 2 months. There have been way too many necros recently but this was by far the dumbest I've seen so far, necroing a topic from April last year just to make an analogy that doesn't even make sense.
:D I was just sitting on the bus one day goin to work and this idea came into my mind.. If chess can pull it off how would it play out in SC? I had the idea that I've seen waay too many times cheesy losses of great players againts !@#$ty "all-in" tactics only because of the uncertainity of fog of war, there can be coinflippy situations even on pro level because you really just cant scout everything and I think it sometimes hurting the seriousness of the game and it can be hugely demoralising too... so I googled for "remove fog of war starcraft" on my phone and this thread came up.

I still think it would be good to have it in custom games as optional. It wouldnt hurt, but would be interesting, and for noobs maybe even helpful.

Cheers.
05/17/2017 12:06 PMPosted by Traysent
no
04/21/2017 06:23 PMPosted by Pete Stilwell
We
05/25/2017 06:25 PMPosted by Traysent
are
not
prioritizing
your
feelings about these additions. Thank you!
I would rather them make map previews actually f**kin work in ranked LUL
I am a strong supporter of allowing that the players choose. Eliminating fog of war can cause balance problems, among other things. But it would not hurt anyone to offer the option in the lobby of the games. Same as choosing the color of your team and so many other preferences.
thats the worst idea i ever read ... scouting is like 90% of the skill in broodwar with knowing everything the enemy makes ... well thats the most stupid idea of all time ... it would make the game basicly unplayable ... wow ...

u want a price for worst idea i ever heared in and outside of pc gaming ? because u sir just beat trump

wtf just saw its a gravedigger thread ... sry for posting and XX to the gravedigger
01/15/2018 06:37 AMPosted by Drake
thats the worst idea i ever read ... scouting is like 90% of the skill in broodwar with knowing everything the enemy makes ... well thats the most stupid idea of all time ... it would make the game basicly unplayable ... wow ...

u want a price for worst idea i ever heared in and outside of pc gaming ? because u sir just beat trump

wtf just saw its a gravedigger thread ... sry for posting and XX to the gravedigger

A shame. I had to change my vote when you pointlessly mentioned Trump. Why do dullards always feel the need to do that.