Are Queens any Good?

General Discussion
ZvT: Ensnare is good for slowing down Marine movement speed and DPS. Also good for maybe using Broodlings on Tanks but energy is way better used on the Marines ball. (Unless you have a lot of them I guess)

It's usefulness vs Mech is really up to the player. Sometimes it can be really good sometimes it's not good.

ZvP: Basically only useful for sniping HT.
Used in late game ZvT against mech (parasite and broodlings). Ensnare are used against mass air strategies like mass wraiths.
Does blizzard plan on making any more balance changes?

The entirety of the starcraft community (including korea) knows very well what to expect if blizzard breaks what they said about only changing how the game looks and not how it plays.

Blizzard has gotten away with a lot regarding the sequals of their beloved games Diablo and Starcraft. No one needs to review why those games failed. Any mention of blancing the greatest Online RTS game ever made, would be arrogant and self destructive.

Could unused units/playstyles be buffed? Sure, but at the same time why mess with something that's been perfected, especially by a company whos made stobborn mistakes lead them to make SCR, in the first place. SC2 failed to keep what made BW good (as well as the iconic racial identities, breath of play), and now we want to do the same with BW? No thank you.
So queens are good but a tad situational?
They're currently being reinterpreted by high level players, as far as I'm aware.

The issue with Queens is that Spawn Broodling, their most powerful ability, costs 150 energy on top of the research needed for it. Therefore if you pick Queens and the Terran player knows it, you're simply dead- see ASL season 2's Light vs Effort.
05/08/2017 11:15 AMPosted by Zoan
Check out this video of queens in action:

https://youtu.be/2y0vu_hjQGM?t=1707

JD is freaking insane! Loved how he sniped down all those tanks with spawn broodlings.
05/08/2017 08:51 PMPosted by Fenixone
05/08/2017 11:15 AMPosted by Zoan
Check out this video of queens in action:

https://youtu.be/2y0vu_hjQGM?t=1707

JD is freaking insane! Loved how he sniped down all those tanks with spawn broodlings.

I know! That execution was beautiful.
I can't seem to load that video, any help there?
Found it, typed wrongly, my bad!
You are wrong about the Queen being useless. Rather, it is the lynchpin decisive factor in Zerg versus Terran engagements. This realisation was gained from experience playing against Terran staple Builds and attacks against me as a Zerg player, with an initial M&M's Bioball, and then accompanying it with the defensive power of Siege Tanks, to besiege and contain the Zerg from expanding. At this point the Zerg can't do very much, and the game is pretty much lost. Fact is, when playing against good Terran players, the Zerg player often has a very hard time dealing with Terran pressure.

Through acute analysis, I realised the Queen will aid greatly against the standard Terran Build, in fact it is the perfect counter. Almost as if to suggest so, the default spell for the Queen is the Infest Command Centre. I started including Queens in my Build with great effect, one instance and example I can give, is how I rushed straight to Lurkers and Queens, knowing how fast some Terran players are able to rush with a pro Bioball Build, and by casting Ensnare, then rushing in with Zerglings to tank for the Lurkers, the Queen's Ensnare effectively neutralises what made the M&M's deny the Zerg Lurker-Ling Rush, by using their superior speed, to avoid and evade the Lurkers' attacks, as they burrowed. In that one instance, against the Bioball, I completely decimated his M&M's army.

The reason why the Queen hard counters the Terran, and is in fact the tech answer to the Terrans, is because Ensnare counters the Bioball, effectively neutralising Stimpack, while Spawn Broodlings are crucial to breaking a siege by Siege Tanks. Parasite is the counter to the Science Vessel, another often used Unit by Terrans facing Zerg.

Watching pro replays of Zerg versus Terrans, I would often notice how the game could actually be won by the Zerg, if he had just used Queens in his gameplay. At that point though, I predicted that Zerg Queen will become not just an important part of Zerg versus Terran gameplay, but in Zerg gameplay overall.

And so it came to pass, and the best Zerg player currently, Jaedong, is using Queens in his gameplay, for both Ensnare and Spawn Broodlings. Although, here are some changes I feel should be made to the Infested Terran, for them to be playable. They should improve the AI, and increase the Splash Damage Range to that of a Scarab, while also allowing it to deal full damage under a Dark Swarm, instead of just Splash Damage.
If I buy over Blizzard, I will implement several changes. First, Infested Terran Splash Damage Range is increased to that of Reaver's Scarab. Second, Sunken Colonies be returned to 400 HP and 0 Armour. Third, Ultralisks gain base 3 Armour. Fourth, Goliath Ground Attack Upgrade is now +2. I have my reasons for these, if anyone wishes to know, just reply here.

Infested Terrans also do full damage while under the Dark Swarm, instead of just Splash Damage, and cost less time to be built.

Zealots be returned to 80 HP and 80 Shields. In exchange the base Movement Speed of the Zealot is slightly increased. And the Scourge should be slightly faster in speed, while the Sunken Colony's attack should be unaffected by Dark Swarm.

Perhaps have the Attack Upgrade of the Ultralisks be +4? Also, when a Scourge hits, the Unit automatically dies, instead of having a delay in the death animation. The Devourers have an Attack Range of 7. The Battlecruiser's Yamato Gun's Damage should be returned to 250.

The Scout has a Ground Attack value of 10 and Air Attack of 30, reduced Warping in time to 60 seconds, while gaining Detector for a Range of 6, after Researching Apial Sensors, at a cost of 200 Minerals and 200 Vespene Gas. The Scout's Sight Range is increased from 10 to 12 too with this Upgrade. The Scout's Grav Thruster's Speed Upgrade makes the Scout move slightly faster than it does now, at the same speed as the Scourge.

The Overlord's Evolution, Antennae, costs 100 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas, and the Sight Range is increased from 11 to 13.

How about Spawn Broodlings costing 125 Energy? And of course lifting the object limiter for the Valkyrie. Finally, the Science Vessel's EMP Shockwave's Area of Effect Range be increased, and the Medic's Heal rate decreased. One more thing: the Science Vessel's Irradiate is too strong too, but I am not sure how to rectify this.

Now, the one implementation I am least certain with: having the Ghost's Attack improved to 20, with an Attack Upgrade of +2. The Ghost should be slightly faster too. Essentially, the Ghost, Siege Tank, Hydralisk, and Zealot should have a slightly increased base Movement Speed, compared to Infantry Units like Marines and Firebats.
They're annoying as hell in the campaign, especially later on when you get a lot of Battlecruisers.

That's about it.
Used to think they were useless until I saw an insane ZvT game between 2 of the best players in the world. Flash vs Effort.

I'll leave the link so you guys can check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhPag1FnCmA
01/20/2019 08:15 PMPosted by UnlimitedXP
Used to think they were useless until I saw an insane ZvT game between 2 of the best players in the world. Flash vs Effort.

Amazing match. It could have gone either way. Not many Zerg players that are able to switch off to a new unit to counter an enemy players army. Even though Larva's Queen switch was a thing of beauty his quick switch to mutas out of no where put a lot of pressure on Flash and costed him a lot. Flash had no choice but to dump a bunch of resources into several Goliaths.
05/08/2017 07:40 PMPosted by Lurak
So queens are good but a tad situational?

Queens are expensive and, being casters, require a lot of micro to use. If they don't work out, you lose money. If you don't have energy, they do nothing. How many people would build science vessels if they didn't have detection? Even if they do work out, they command so much attention you run the risk of fumbling your macro or something.

If neither of those things are a problem for you, then they can be very good because you can kill a unit for just the cost of energy. I saw a pro match once where the Z build 2-3 Queens and every time they had energy he would fly out, snipe some tanks, and fly back. After a few times, it turned into a pretty big lead.
I wonder why nobody ever uses queens to ensnare enemy workers? You can do it from a distance, and it decreases their mining efficiency.

I asked that question also about Stasis field, but that is easily answered. A stasis on tanks is just worth way more than the lost mining time for the Terran.
01/28/2019 08:51 AMPosted by SuDDenLife
I wonder why nobody ever uses queens to ensnare enemy workers? You can do it from a distance, and it decreases their mining efficiency.

I asked that question also about Stasis field, but that is easily answered. A stasis on tanks is just worth way more than the lost mining time for the Terran.

probably because it's risky. By the time you have queens they'll more than likely have turrets and other anti air units ready. Queens are pretty expensive so doing something like that requires a lot of vision if your gonna try something like that.
01/20/2019 08:15 PMPosted by UnlimitedXP

Yeah, I saw a game like that too, I'm really surprised they're not used more often, they're not terribly expensive, they're not part of some weird tech path (they're tech is required for tier 3) and even their least useful ability (Infest CC) can still tip the balance of a battle when used against an opponent who might be pre-occupied and not paying attention to damaged CCs from previous fights.