Weather options for BW: R

General Discussion
Any plans on adding options in game to have weather like Rain and Snow just like WC3/Diablo 2 ?

I think it'd be pretty cool.. if the community is against it, maybe allow it as an option for UMS ?

I was always a fan of rain and snow (wc3).. feels like it adds realism to the game
I think this will be a cool addition to the new SC:R as I don't see this kind of update will bring a huge impact on gameplay.

Though I am not sure how this could be executed given that SC:R would be in 2D environment rather than 3D.
05/15/2017 11:26 AMPosted by Tractatoss
Though I am not sure how this could be executed given that SC:R would be in 2D environment rather than 3D.

I imagine same way other 2D games with an isometric view did it, an image with large transparency and small sprites moveing down at an angle and looped (roller coaster tycoon 1 + 2 style), or the same small sprites spawning randomly then drop down at an angle then after a few frames show a "splash" animation (seen some old C&C mods do this)
Dynamic weather you mean? I don't think that's in the plans for the game. StarCraft does have snowy tilesets though.

I think rain effects like the ones used in Diablo 2 are pretty doable in the StarCraft engine though, so it would be a nice little feature for custom maps.
cool idea :) maybe also a sandstorm!
Dynamic weather you mean? I don't think that's in the plans for the game. StarCraft does have snowy tilesets though.

I think rain effects like the ones used in Diablo 2 are pretty doable in the StarCraft engine though, so it would be a nice little feature for custom maps.

that's what I was referring to.
05/15/2017 12:50 PMPosted by OShogun
StarCraft does have snowy tilesets though.

I hope this tileset's colours get fixed as its hardly ever used due to the fact its too bright i think.
Would be awesome for UMS, I can say that much.
If you want weather go outside.
This would be a fine thing to have as a toggle-able option, just like how the remastered graphics will be toggle-able. For competitive players, they will all turn it off as it distracts from the gameplay, but for casual players they will be able to enjoy some extra eye candy/immersion.

Just please prioritize things like this very low though, there are more important things that need to be done right first.
+1 fun addition that could make things look more interesting. I imagine something more like typing a command in chat to activate it, /weather rain, for example. Would be hilarious to activate snow in desert maps
05/15/2017 11:26 AMPosted by Tractatoss
I think this will be a cool addition to the new SC:R as I don't see this kind of update will bring a huge impact on gameplay.

so I'm all for it but here is the possible game changes

1. snow, the ground units can leave tracks

2.rain, creep dissipates faster & mechanical units (mostly terran because they look more rustic) can move slower after a while (due to rust)

3.sandstorm, chip damage over time to everything

4.all, a little harder to see
I remember that there were some maps that used a winter texture, the snow and stuff looked really good, a weather effect could be nice.
05/15/2017 01:09 PMPosted by Rnds
I hope this tileset's colours get fixed as its hardly ever used due to the fact its too bright i think.

http://www.gamershell.com/static/screenshots/0/2883/46149_full.jpg this one?

Yeah, I think if it was a little greyish instead of PURE BRIGHT WHITE it could be pretty playable
I would welcome this idea if it's only grafic sugar but not if it's intended to have effects on gameplay.
i don't freaking want it to be snowing or raining while im playing, maybe its suitable for warcraft or sc2 but in BW that is just unnecessarily annoying.
I don't think it's terribly conceivable with this project.
05/16/2017 05:04 AMPosted by Rumi
i don't freaking want it to be snowing or raining while im playing, maybe its suitable for warcraft or sc2 but in BW that is just unnecessarily annoying.

why/how exactly?
just make sure there's no thunder and lightning, pros will have to bring up their shade glasses again ( lol @ random korean dude on forum if you know what I mean)