What is turn rate?

General Discussion
I don't get it.
I have no idea... :S
It is how fast your units turn in game Brood War

2 is the slowest turn rate
16 is the fastest

If you play Starcraft 2 the turn rate in Brood War might bother on 2 / 4 / 8 / 12 but if you set it to 16 the speed where your units turn will be the most similar to Starcraft 2.
06/09/2017 11:43 PMPosted by SepZ

16 is the fastest

If you play Starcraft 2 the turn rate in Brood War might bother on 2 / 4 / 8 / 12 but if you set it to 16 the speed where your units turn will be the most similar to Starcraft 2.

Cool thanks for the explanation :)
wait, turn rate is more about how much information your are sending, not actually the "turning" of the units or how fast a unit turns from one side to another side.

Turn rate is how much information your client is sending out to the other person and how much faster the data the other person is sending, the higher the turn rate, the more info your are sending, for this you and the rest of the players needs to have a good internet connection and this would make the game: play much more responsive and make the game feel smoother, faster.

But this in no means make your zealot turn "faster" after, it does make your action or "click" arrive to the game faster, but does not means it turns faster.

16 is the fastest

Thanks. But... is this UMS? It better not be ladder choice...
06/10/2017 12:51 AMPosted by xGsGt
wait, turn rate is more about how much information your are sending, not actually the "turning" of the units or how fast a unit turns from one side to another side.

Turn rate is how much information your client is sending out to the other person and how much faster the data the other person is sending, the higher the turn rate, the more info your are sending, for this you and the rest of the players needs to have a good internet connection and this would make the game: play much more responsive and make the game feel smoother, faster.

But this in no means make your zealot turn "faster" after, it does make your action or "click" arrive to the game faster, but does not means it turns faster.

Okay, that has to be the correct definition because we had topics on here from Koreans complaining that their 3rd party program didn't work in 1.18. They were saying that it made it so (it felt like) there was no delay when microing.
xgsgt is correct

it is a latency setting pretty much. the higher u set it the better u and all players connection must be. but the higher it is set the faster the game responds to ur commands.

so far most ppl feel turn rate 8 is good for team games 2v2 3v3 , and for 1v1 games with no observer u can set to 12, granted no one is on dial up connection or streaming/ downloading anything in the background.

i think 16 is too much for most ppl unless u all have like the most expensive fastest internet package. and the other latency settings. (low high extra high) still there in options aswell so its pointless to make it turn rate 16 just to go and play on extra high latency. i hate how everyone always sets to extra high soon as game starts when its not needed

i think turn rate 8 with high latency (not extra high) is fine for 2v2, and maby 8 turn rate extra high for 3v3

but 1v1 should be 12 turn rate low latency. Play on ur own region ppl! :)
06/10/2017 12:02 PMPosted by Xylar
xgsgt is correct

it is a latency setting pretty much. the higher u set it the better u and all players connection must be. but the higher it is set the faster the game responds to ur commands.

so far most ppl feel turn rate 8 is good for team games 2v2 3v3 , and for 1v1 games with no observer u can set to 12, granted no one is on dial up connection or streaming/ downloading anything in the background.

i think 16 is too much for most ppl unless u all have like the most expensive fastest internet package. and the other latency settings. (low high extra high) still there in options aswell so its pointless to make it turn rate 16 just to go and play on extra high latency. i hate how everyone always sets to extra high soon as game starts when its not needed

i think turn rate 8 with high latency (not extra high) is fine for 2v2, and maby 8 turn rate extra high for 3v3

but 1v1 should be 12 turn rate low latency. Play on ur own region ppl! :)

But how do you change it?
when you are creating the game you set the turn rate as a setting, just the same way you set up the speed.

yeah, for 1-3 ppl 16turn rate is fine, 4 ppl 12turn rate can work, heck i think i just played a bgh with 6 ppl and 12, but it lag hard, so im playing most of the team games with 8 turn rate
how people have !@#$ty connections in 2017 is mind boggling
As far as I can tell, Turn Rate is how many times a second, or perhaps milliseconds, to poll for sent commands. This would explain why lower turn rates are slower and can just completely drop commands all-together as performing it only 2 times a (mili?)second would mean that there is a large window where it isn't polling for the commands you're sending. Since it affects 1vCPU games as well it isn't necessarily about network transmission at all.

This is different from Game Speed, which is a millisecond delay between each logical/non-graphics-related frame with "Slowest" being something like 167ms and "Fastest" being only 42ms.

06/15/2017 01:09 AMPosted by LuckyOwl

People tend to not have !@#$ty internet in 2017, it's just that you're too far away from them and no matter the speed for either of you that will cause latency. That's just the most-likely scenario, but there could be a few other reasons for it to be laggy.

jesus why do you even speak if you have no idea?

It's usually more to do with the country they live in. Not only may they live far away from most other players but their country may simply have bad internet. Brazil for example.
06/15/2017 08:09 AMPosted by Rnds

Trolls man, trolls.
08/07/2017 08:46 AMPosted by Baman
06/15/2017 08:09 AMPosted by Rnds

Trolls man, trolls.

I'm guessing he got it mixed up with "turn speed" in Dota, and I don't blame him, because Dota is a hardcore game for hardcore gamers. It's like chess, only you have to think more than one move ahead.

unfortunately in australia, we have this thing called a Liberal/Nat political party who represent the common dredge and mindless twit population.

They ruined the rollout of a nearly full fiber to the home network.
So to get the LAN Latency (assuming both player have a 2k17 internet connection) shud I put low or high turnrate?

go tell the Australian government that, i've been thinking the same thing for 5 years. (I literally only have ADSL 1 and they refuse to lay new cables in my neighbourhood.)