Feedback Request – Chat and Channels

General Discussion
We’re adding a slew of new improvements to how you can communicate in StarCraft. After you’ve gotten a chance to check out our blog, let us know what you think. Thank you!
God bless you, Blizzard.
Its beautiful, but can u extend the friend list to 50 or 100??? 25 is nothing... thanks!
@traysent

the picture confuses me. lol

https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/gallery/RM96G3CD05Z21497623858576.jpg

you guys posted it on the blog, and it doesn't match up.

Neo Jade but it's a zero clutter title and tvb game type

haha
Saddragons gotta stop disconnecting its getting extreme!

Otherwise, it looks fantastic, bless you all, keep up gods work. First time in a long time I've been rooting for you Blizzard.
06/16/2017 02:27 PMPosted by ReasOn
@traysent

the picture confuses me. lol

you guys posted it on the blog, and it doesn't match up.

Neo Jade but it's a zero clutter title and tvb game type

haha

Its clearly a ploy to get nubs to learn a real map :D

In all seriousness, they probably didn't have an actual ZC map on hand. Nice catch though, that's pretty funny :)
  • how can i moderate chat channels for clans?
  • clan channels will be in the search?
  • i need to create a new account to add a tag to my nickname to be in a clan? and loss all my stats in the process?
  • i don't want be in all channels at the same time as in sc2 , to see a full spam in the screen, can i chose to be in only one?
  • in sc:r can i add more than 25 friends in my firend list?
  • we will have a system to speak each order as in sc2? or we have to use skype?
  • as a clan, can we add a bot to advartice our clan webpage to enroll new players as stealthbot does so far?
  • 06/16/2017 02:42 PMPosted by YENYERI
    how can i moderate chat channels for clans? clan channels will be in the search?
    i need to create a new account to add a tag to my nickname to be in a clan?

i don't want be in all channels at the same time as in sc2 , to see a full spam in the screen

+1 to this post, another thing is, we will have back our national's channels ??? Like BroodWar CHL-1 ? (for Chile)... thx
    If this chat system is based in the current 1.18 chat, can you please bring the old version of the chat "shortcuts" <alt+w> and <alt+n>. The old ones used to be way more practical. The current <alt+n> is not working properly in the sense that you need to make sure that you are selecting the player's name by clicking on it many times. it's kind of annoying. Same for the current <alt+w> that is way slower than the old version of it.

Anyway, overall looks beautiful, good job guys.
    06/16/2017 02:27 PMPosted by WhiteStOrm
    Its beautiful, but can u extend the friend list to 50 or 100??? 25 is nothing... thanks!

The problem is even with 25 if you type /f l while playing in game there are not enough lines to display all 25 friends.There needs to be a seperate command to just display online friends.

The green highlighted open game is where my friends are?
    I've been one of the bigger advocates of fixing / restoring the glory days of Bnet chat in these forums - for many of us, we tended to spend more time there than in the actual game, and still do. It's a community unto itself, so it matters. That said, would love to get a response to the points I raise below:

Most important points:

1.) You say early in the blog "without changing the classic functionality that you know and love." - the recent updates since March HAVE changed the classic functionality or broken it in multiple ways, and after 3 1/2 months many things still have not been fixed, although some you have said you are working on, others you haven't said either way (like gavels for channel ops, posted "fixed" commands/channel functions that remain broken, etc.).

Wondering / hoping those things DO get fixed as part of this larger overhaul of the system... and not forgotten about / tabled indefinitely to the future.

2.) First observation... "there are 1500 players on USWest playing 500 games" - this is returning after a long absence? If so, cool!

3.) Hard to tell from post... visible channel order by time joined is still a thing, right? As previously stated, even in persistent chat, whatever channel you're focused on, it's much easier to tell who just joined, who's a bot/idle/away, etc. that way...

4.), OK... just finished reading the "blog post" ...didn't take long... kind of the shortest blog ever - 2 screenshots, not much other info? I hope I'm not missing something / there are other "unannounced" changes to functionality...

5.) Are the chat colors customizable? In screenshot, notice people talking in channel are green... and their names are also... green... that's, annoying... why?!

6. ) A big feature of SC:R is the ability to switch between the new and classic graphics. If someone doesn't care for being in multiple chat channels at once, would it be that hard for you to implement an option to use "classic" chat - in other words, just be in ONE channel at a time, and move from channel to channel like we've always done? Reason I ask is, I HATE the way chat works in SC II - it's awful - and if the new chat system doesn't sit well after I try it out, would really like the opportunity to customize / use a more familiar setting... really don't want to be in 10 channels at once just because, for example, I popped into them to see who was around... that's not an improvement, if so.

7.) Going to reiterate my earlier comment: many chat features are still broken: gavels, TAB to cycle last command and channel users, inability to see certain clients in channel with you, redirects to random channels/The Void instead of a lock on current channel, etc. Will these things all be fixed, or what?

8.) How about the kindergarten-style swear filter currently in place? Is this being addressed? Just seems nonsensical in a game that uses swearing, has always had pretty frank/outrageous/open settings in private chat, to just now gain a moral compass and restrict even some benign words... other than in public/official channels, doesn't seem necessary at all, and the filter itself blocks words incorrectly!

9). Finally, on a completely unrelated topic - putting in yet another request to get an answer on whether SC:R will fix the awful CCMU (Cannot Create More Units) issue that, while it made sense in 1999, today totally ruins 3v3, 4v4, UMS, etc. games in many cases... would be great to get an answer up or down on this.

That all said, it does look nice (except for name/channel chat being the same color (HUH?), and I'm hopeful... but again, please don't destroy the functions that Communities, Clans, etc. have grown to use for 20 years to make other "improvements" ... there already has been a noticeable frustration in the channels I visit since March that features they depend on to manage/browse clan, op, and private channels were broken and still haven't been fixed...

Thanks in advance for your answers to the above, Dev team, and keep up the good work overall.
    Hey, I'm listed as the game creator!

Is this what they call pinpoint marketting?
    I hope we get built in "skype" or "discord" type of functions. This alone would make bw so much more social. Imagine talking to your friends in game while obsing top tier players.
    06/16/2017 03:26 PMPosted by Siddhartha
    et built in "skype" or "discord" type of functions. This alone would make bw so much more social. Imagine talking to your friends in game while obsing top tier players.

is nice to use skype while you play 3v3 or 4v4 with you clan mates
    This looks so great guys. Only suggestion I have is to reduce the spacing between the games on the games list. I think it would look better/ be easier to find games if there are more games visible at any one time on that list. In the image 9 games are shown. Currently the game shows 12 before scrolling is necessary. I dont think you can lower the font size or remove those lines, but if you remove some of that space i think it will look better and show more games.
    So does this pretty much confirm that the old UI style is not coming back? I think there could still be a way to fit the chat on screen at all times while staying true to the style of the old UI i.e. Channel, Create, Join, Ladder and Quit buttons on left side of the screen, metal/bar atmosphere for chat channels and buttons, complete with metal clunk sounds when buttons are pressed etc. It's nice you guys want to stay true to the original game, but excluding the online UI from that sentiment is inconsistent and disruptive.
    Awesome to be able to search custom games while remaining in the chat! I hope to see this feature in WarCraft III someday ;)
    Beautiful. I was going to say the same thing as Ire, haha. Waiting for this to happen on Warcraft 3!
    can we have something for twitch chat :D