ScmDraft 2 – Creating maps since 2003

General Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
Highly Rated
What is it:
ScmDraft is an un-official map editor for StarCraft. It supports all map-making features available using the default map editor (StarEdit), but also supports additional features such as non-isometrical and extended terrain (Most common example of this is creating backwards ramps and wider ramps) which are used in most pro maps, direct sprite placement, copy+paste, brush management, extended map-debugging capabilities, and many more.

I am currently in the process of finalizing the first official release in several years, ScmDraft 0.9.0. The newest alpha build is available for download here: http://www.stormcoast-fortress.net/Irregularies/ together with screenshots of the new features. This page is updated every couple of days with updated builds, as time allows.

Configuration:
When starting scmdraft the location of the starcraft data files should be automatically detected. If this is not the case, then click “Edit” in the profile select screen to access the profile options, and set the starcraft path in the corresponding field.
To skip the profile select screen, add ‘-profile=Default’ to the shortcut used to launch ScmDraft. (Update the name of the profile as desired)

System Requirements:
I have not tested on anything older than Windows 7, however it is designed to run on windows XP.
Other OSes:
I have been told that the current version works reasonably well under WINE on Linux and MacOS, with occasional graphical glitches.

Reporting bugs:
In order to simplify bug reporting, please provide as many details as possible. If you run into a reproducible issue, either launch the program with the –console command line switch (e.g. via shortcut properties), or open the console from the debug menu located at the right. Include any warnings and errors which are printed to this window. If you encounter a crash, include a full dump if possible (Task manager -> process details -> scmdraft -> right click, create dump file), or include the automatically generated minidump if not.

Changes between ScmDraft 0.8.0 and the current build:
    Vastly extended the overlay options. It is now possible to visualize the terrain height, whether terrain counts as cover (provides dodge chance), building and unit placibility, set creep to transparent, and many other settings.
    Visualize unit attack, detect, and vision ranges
    Pathfinding region display. This is what the game uses to determine a rough path from point A to point B. This tool helps resolve unusual mining and pathing behavior.
    Various symmetrical terrain options. Use this if you want to make a map with mirrored or rotational symmetry without creating the rough design by hand.
    Added new unit, unit-sprite, and pure-sprite palette windows.
    Reworked palette windows for doodad palette, and user-defined brush palette. Use the user-defined brushes to share predefined map chunks such as extended ramps.
    Reworked the tileset palette to be resizable in all modes
    Completely reimplemented the map settings window. Also added string filtering, multiple wav import, more…
    Updated the UI in general to use more modern controls.
    Fix player fog of war preview to take obscuring doodads into account
    Many many bug fixes, stability improvements, performance enhancements, and internal structural improvements.
    Many other minor changes.

Note: Some options available in ScmDraft 2 are provided for backwards compatibility with StarCraft 1.16.1 and may not function with 1.18 / 1.19. (Such as extended player colors)

Use this thread to post feedback, suggestions, and report bugs.
Great work
Awesome. Didn't the Classic Games Team reach out to you or someone else involved with SCMDraft to help with the Remastered editor? What ever came of that?
The post have been pinned now
Based on this being a Pro Map creator thread i ask this in here:

Is there any way to grab a map, and modify it in a simple way for it to work as a MM ums? (Macro/Micro map?), i just would like to have TONS of other iccup/official maps where i can play toguether with a friend on same team.

thanks for the answer and that is a great software.
You can probably use the text trigger editor to copy the entire set of required triggers from one map to another at once. You would need to create the required locations first though.
07/27/2017 12:00 PMPosted by Sinsanity
You can probably use the text trigger editor to copy the entire set of required triggers from one map to another at once. You would need to create the required locations first though.

i am a real noob at this, would you create a small tutorial on how to grab any protected map, making it editable, copying the striggers etc and placing the building please?, i would really apreciate it.
I can't help with the protection, sorry.
07/27/2017 12:13 PMPosted by Sinsanity
I can't help with the protection, sorry.

hmmm ok... can you help me with any of your maps?
Man, I have been using SMDraft 2 v0.8 since like 2009 or 10. This makes me so happy. :D
Is blizzard supporting ScmDraft now?
A few weeks ago, I was messing around with SMDraft 2 on some incomplete maps that I was working on ~7 or ~8 years ago, and I had to run it compatible with Windows 98/Windows ME for a couple of features to work... Including names/text on locations.

I have windows 10, and I made sure I was using the most updated version.
This version wasn't publicly available until recently, try using it without compatibility mode. If its still broken, let me know.
Can you guys do something about the AI being able to play a normal melee match in UMS?
:)
Do you mean adding the default melee game AI to the list of available AI scripts?
07/28/2017 11:30 AMPosted by Sinsanity
Do you mean adding the default melee game AI to the list of available AI scripts?

Ye something like that... I'm not an expert o.o

The same AI that the computer uses while playing melee mode. It would open the door to a whole new kind of play-modes and custom games in my opinion.
07/26/2017 03:53 PMPosted by Sinsanity
Various symmetrical terrain options. Use this if you want to make a map with mirrored or rotational symmetry without creating the rough design by hand.
I've used this a lot and it's really useful but it's also quite inaccurate. I've noticed a bunch of other glitches and oddities as well. Is there some official platform to report bugs or will this thread do?
I would love to have the obs mode "follow unit" working for ums too which would make way better in-game cut-scenes!
07/29/2017 03:26 AMPosted by Kim
07/26/2017 03:53 PMPosted by Sinsanity
I've used this a lot and it's really useful but it's also quite inaccurate. I've noticed a bunch of other glitches and oddities as well. Is there some official platform to report bugs or will this thread do?

That is what this thread is for.

07/29/2017 05:12 AMPosted by Stampelle
I would love to have the obs mode "follow unit" working for ums too which would make way better in-game cut-scenes!

You should be able to center a location on the unit, and then center the view on the location.
07/29/2017 06:35 AMPosted by Sinsanity
You should be able to center a location on the unit, and then center the view on the location.

Yes but it results in a scattering camera follow as we well know.