ScmDraft 2 – Creating maps since 2003

General Discussion
Prev 1 14 15 16 19 Next
Fixed in the newest alpha.
Hi! I can't use english fluently. please understand even if you can't understand me clearly...

Is there are plan to add compatible with TrigEditPlus by trgk? I use this SCMDraft Plugin very well, but it doesn't work well with SCMDraft's Classic Map Triggers(ex: Hook Lasting, 'For' Loops, etc...).

Thank you for your ardent activity. I really like your SCMDraft.
Hey there, I found a new version of some Korean map I've translated before, so I wanted to do the same again. But I can't open the map, since there's some problem with opening the MPQ file.

The game normally works though.

MainWindow - (ENGINE) Preparing to launch ScmDraft 2.
MainWindow - Creating the application instance.
MainWindow - Running FinalConstruct().
MainWindow - Running profile select window.
MainWindow - Initializing the main editor engine.
MainWindow - (ENGINE) Using the TryIt profile.
MainWindow - Creating the game data holder.
MainWindow - Initializing and loading data MPQs.
MainWindow - Loading data files and string tables.
MainWindow - Preparing to load starcraft datafiles.
MainWindow - Initializing the animation data.
MainWindow - Loading graphic files.
MainWindow - Loading font files.
MainWindow - (ENGINE) Loaded data.
MainWindow - Creating the main UI.
MainWindow - Initializing the object tree.
MainWindow - Resetting a render buffer.
MainWindow - Launching map render manager thread.
MainWindow - Resetting a render buffer.
MainWindow - Initializing the sound engine.
MainWindow - Loading backup database.
MainWindow - Done launching.
MainWindow - Could not load the map. (hr=0x80004005, V3\WinUI\MapManager.cpp, 189)
MainWindow - (ENGINE) Closed Map.
MainWindow - Could not disconnect the map from the unit list events. (hr=0x80070057, CCHK.cpp, 67)
MainWindow - Could not disconnect the map from the sprite list events. (hr=0x80070057, CCHK.cpp, 70)
MainWindow - Could not create a new blank map. (hr=0x80004005, windows\CMainGUI.cpp, 5146)
The most likely reason is that the map maker protected his map. There are tools which ensure that they cannot be opened for editing.
Updated to 0.9.05
There is a HUGE bug or glitch with the damage of units(it seems to be only air to air combat units) when you play UMS.

I double checked the damage of these units, and they are normal damage in the editor(for example the corsair says 5 damage), but in game for example a corsair does 40+58505 or some crazy damage and they one shot everything in the air, its a bad bug or something.

Happens with Valkyries too, they only do 1 damage per rocket. Devourers do a crazy one hit damage too.

If anyone knows how to fix this, I tried googling it and everything, nothing comes up.
Is it possible you set the default upgrade level to 255?

Can you email me an example map? I'll take a look. (Suicidal_Insanity [AT] Stormcoast-Fortress [DOT] NET )
Any word on the news ramps + SCMDraft update?
I have been continuously adding small features, bug fixes, and optimizations as time allows. Feel free to make suggestions for things to add.

New ramps will be supported in ScmDraft.
New release, with support for the new ramps, is out !
Hello again. I managed to run the editor without having the antivirus kill it. But there seems to be an issue when using the map resize feature. When trying it, after a (long) spell, I can managed to fix all the black spots but there are a few further things to notice that the locations are not shifted relative to the new terrain if the offset is not 0,0 (as in when I'm adding terrain to the top and left of the existing one). To top it all off, it appears as if the Anywhere location is no longer covering the whole (expanded) map and some triggers exhibit variable glitching (for example, some actions do not fire and some do not work as intended - for example, a TRANSMISSION from unit at 'Anywhere' (the unit most certainly is on the map, but probably within the shifted coordinates) does not show as originating from that unit (it doesn't get minimap ping / blinking selection circle).

To tell the truth, that was before the latest update (on 0.9.06), so maybe you've fixed it / it's a glitch that only I am seeing. I'll try to recreate it - I've already deleted the updated map as a total writeoff. Maybe I shouldn't have.
The time needed depends on the complexity of the terrain edges if you have 'Attempt Border Smoothing' checked. If you do not have that checked it should be very fast, but placing isometrical terrain at the edges may lead to weird behavior. Unfortunately the isom implementation / design was either not meant to support resizing the maps, or I am missing some minor detail.

For the locations: The anywhere location should be resized correctly, I just tested. I can confirm that the location offsetting is bugged - it is using the offset as a pixel value, and not a tile value, so it is shifting it be 1/32nd of the required amount. That will be fixed in the next nightly build. Thanks for letting me know about that, and sorry about the glitches.
Hello people that know how to make/edit maps with EUD.

I am currently enjoying this map a lot:

https://ufile.io/4fxkx

The map is a: Macro Micro map for Figthing Spirit done by a KOREAN map maker.

The map lets you either control the base or control the units. You probably already played it.

What i am requesting the community is some help, i want to modify the map a bit, and make other maps like it, and i really don't know how. I try to open the map and i get an error, then i try to "unprotect it" and i get another error, long story short the map cant be opened.

Is there a reason why this map wont open?.

What i would like to do:

• Change some of the messages in the map to ENGLISH
  • Take some of the sounds off, like the typewriter sound at the start
  • Make a version of this mode to other popular maps, the more the better
  • that's it... is there someone in this community that could extend a hand in this regard please?

Thank you.
    Thank you for such a great editor.

I have some questions:

1. Why isn't it possible to place buildings at the very left?

2. Why did you remove the option to paste whilst scrolling?
    08/20/2018 11:53 PMPosted by fatalfury214
    Thank you for such a great editor.

I have some questions:

1. Why isn't it possible to place buildings at the very left?

2. Why did you remove the option to paste whilst scrolling?

1: It should be possible. There was a bug that it couldn't be done at the very right edge, but that is fixed in the alpha releases ( http://www.stormcoast-fortress.net/Irregularies/ )

2: That was a sideeffect of other changes, that also should be fixed in the alpha releases.
    Hi there SInsanity,

First of all congrats on the development of SCMDraft 2 - it managed to entice me to get back to mapping for Starcraft - Brood War!

I really love what I've seen and been able to do so far - a priori the editor is great for rendering unique scenery and I am optimistic I can realise a certain vision I've been carrying with me. I use Starcraft Brood War 1.18.0.1345.

I would like to report a problem, and also ask a couple of questions/make suggestions so here goes:

- I made a first test map with SCMDraft 2, to begin with only stuff that could already be done with StarEdit, and I could then save and play the map (UMS) from the Brood War folder no problem (incl. a few triggers, a mission briefing, etc.);
    - then I pushed the test map further, the editor supports cool tricks like the use of pure sprites to simulate effects like smoke coming out of pipes hell yeah my installation map is looking good! But while the editor had no issues with saving and reloading such a map, I could no longer open the map in-game - after the mission briefing, the game crashes.

Must I use an older version of Brood War for pure sprite doodads and effects with looping animations to work in-game etc.? I can send you the map file if it helps for testing, let me know!

Also:
    - can one add cinematics (it could also just be a full-screen image, with or without text, just separate from the mission briefing) between levels which are part of a single campaign?
    - is it possible to change portraits of buildings à la Brood War?

Those would constitute suggestions for new features if not available yet :)

Cheers and hope you remain active with this editor, it's great!

EDIT:
    I have narrowed down the problem, hopefully this helps you understand my situation:
    - pure sprites (whether doodads, effects, units etc.) usually DO work in-game in Starcraft Brood War 1.18.0.1345
    - I did encounter some problems with some animated sprite effects though, details:
    - example of successful animated pure sprite that loops forever by default: Nuke Target (type 231, under Units>Terran>Special), does it loop because it's under Units rather than Effects?
    - example of animated pure sprite that works in-game but unfortunately does not loop (one shot, works once upon starting the mission): Building Lifting Dust 01 (type 328 under Effects>Game>Terran and similar), does it not loop because it's under Effects rather than Units? In any case, how can I make it loop?
    - THE example of an animated pure sprite that does NOT work in-game (at least with 1.18, the game crashes when trying to load the map): Gauss Rifle Hit (type 341, under Effects>Weapons>Terran), could you please look into this? And again, how can I make this animation loop?

Many thanks for any help!!
    Hey,

Not all sprites will work successfully. Mostly its the weapon/attack sprites that do damage to their target when they hit that will not work, because they have no target when they are spawned. This is something that has to be tested on a case by case basis, since the original game only intended for a small subset of the sprites to be placable.

There is a list of causes of crashes here: http://www.staredit.net/wiki/index.php?title=Crash_List

However it does not have an extensive list of sprite effects.

As far as I know you cannot make the animation loop. There are some very advanced techniques that may work in 1.16 via animation script editing, but I do not think 1.18+ supports this. Most of the loops in the editor are fudged to make sure you still see what you have added to the map, when the actual sprite "dies" the editor creates a new one.
    09/14/2018 11:16 AMPosted by SInsanity
    Hey,

Not all sprites will work successfully. Mostly its the weapon/attack sprites that do damage to their target when they hit that will not work, because they have no target when they are spawned. This is something that has to be tested on a case by case basis, since the original game only intended for a small subset of the sprites to be placable.

There is a list of causes of crashes here: http://www.staredit.net/wiki/index.php?title=Crash_List

However it does not have an extensive list of sprite effects.

As far as I know you cannot make the animation loop. There are some very advanced techniques that may work in 1.16 via animation script editing, but I do not think 1.18+ supports this. Most of the loops in the editor are fudged to make sure you still see what you have added to the map, when the actual sprite "dies" the editor creates a new one.

Thank you for the reply!

Regarding the first point, could the weapon/attack sprites be made into versions that would fall under Pure Sprites > Units instead of Pure Sprites > Effects? I know that sounds like a potentially very stupid question, but I am venturing to ask because 1) the Nuke Target already wasn't an actual unit as far as I am concerned but fell under Unit anyway and 2) I have no clue how you made this editor and how the Starcraft engine can be manipulated (I come from the Unreal modding community so bear with me). Could effects such as these not be made into/hacked to be different entities? Same sprite animation could thus have several versions, an Effects version, a Unit version, whatever.

Same for animations: if they fell under "Units" rather than "Effects" they could perhaps loop by default? (like Nuke Target?)

Thank you for enlightening me!
    Also can the splash screens before mission briefings become a feature at some point, or is that just not how the Brood War engine works? (same with changing building portraits? although I think I read somewhere that you could do that with some trick, will have to look into it, but it would be vastly simplified if it were an actual feature)
    That cannot be done without modding, and then with difficulty. StarCraft maps are fairly limited in terms of what you can do that wasn't intended by the programmers, compared to full fledged mods. If you are willing to go into modding, then you can replace a few available unused animations with what you want. You cannot expand the table of animations though (afaik - somebody may have done that by now), so you quickly run out of room.

The way the unit sprites works is the game knows about 228 types of units. Usually they are placed on a map as a normal unit, they belong to a specific player, that player has to be present in the game, and the map must be use map settings, etc. The traps in the installation tileset are units that are placed as doodads, so the game has a special case for that. Unit sprites just use any other unit and force them into that special case, which is why it is limited to the 228 types of units.

Building portraits probably can be changed via EUD triggers - basically EUDs were a buffer overflow that allowed maps to overwrite datafile contents and were used to change many things in the game in unintended ways, but you need to know the exact offset of the thing you are changing. That's an entire new topic.

I think the splashscreens for the campaigns were added for SC:R, I do not know how they work. I suspect they are not part of the map files but rather part of the campaign UI system.
    Thank you for the detailed reply.

Seems like modding is the way to go then!
    I do not wish to get StarCraft Remastered (some aesthetic changes are not true to the original feel) so I have installed StarCraft Brood War v.1.16.1 (managed to get rid of the buggy colours in general, but they still pop up occasionally and don't go away until I change menu screens so will need to look for a more permanent solution on Win7 64bit).
    Given what I've seen (like the superb mod Legacy of the Confederation, which I should play really), everything we mentioned (from changing building portraits to splashscreens and of course, in-game animations) should be possible with modding and creating my own executable file, so I am relieved!
    I will be heading to the StarEdit.net SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance forum in the future, in order to slowly get going with my little project.

Thanks again for your time and for SCMDraft2!