Remastered Portraits Feedback

General Discussion
08/01/2017 05:47 PMPosted by RetroRey
Also Kerrigan looks super angry in regular human portrait.

Pfff who doesn't? Mediocre, I couldn't watch Star Wars Rebels because every face is grumpy non-stop.
The f*ck...that's not Kerrigan...that's Nova with a red wig..

Why do these retards have to constantly change sh*t that doesn't need changing?

These companies and their stupid fascination with retconning everything...

I've played Vanilla and Bw enough times
to know what Jimmy and Kerrigan look like...these will never be them in my eyes.

Definitely sticking to old school graphics during campaign play.
08/01/2017 03:48 PMPosted by RetroRey
, You guys are having a go at all the Protoss looking generic but like if you look at the sc1/bw pics they all look similar to each other in that game, so looking similar in this makes sense.

This is just as true and accurate as the planet being a dodecahedron, they look similiar to each other in the way that humans look similiar to each other, not in the SC2 way where they all look like clones.
08/01/2017 05:47 PMPosted by RetroRey
Also Kerrigan looks super angry in regular human portrait.

A cherubic-cheek angry Ghost
07/30/2017 07:05 PMPosted by Kenjum

Siege Tank - http://imgur.com/a/ujEOD
The differences are lighting, the face looks a little more realistic, and he looks a little more Mongolian.

#%&!@*#%$ siege tanks!

STOP BREAKING DOWN MY CITY WAAAAAAALLLLLL!
2 days ago

Siege Tank - http://imgur.com/a/ujEOD
The differences are lighting, the face looks a little more realistic, and he looks a little more Mongolian.

Probably in an attempt to diversify the units more, since the goto trend of the year for companies is to make everything and everyone as diverse as possible..

#%&!@*#%$ siege tanks!

STOP BREAKING DOWN MY CITY WAAAAAAALLLLLL!

HAHA! South Park reference!
08/02/2017 12:32 PMPosted by Computer
Probably in an attempt to diversify the units more, since the goto trend of the year for companies is to make everything and everyone as diverse as possible..

...except the Protoss.
Haha, good point.

I guess only the human units, then.
10^82% Agree with the creator of the thread.

I would agree more but I run out of particles in the universe to absurdalise my % of agreement.
To the OP: Haven't had the time to individually check through all of the portraits yet, but just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to post this (along with your commentary). Did want to (strongly <3) suggest that you create an album early on when uploading these so you can just add each individual image to (the one and the same) album. Would be super use!
One thing that's apparent in the Protoss series of images is that the art direction is narrower when it comes to interpretations of the Protoss race. In the original Starcraft and BW, Protoss complexions generally looked more scaly or stony. Their faces were also more varied (such as Fenix and Raszagal). Since SC2, the art direction has turned to a smoother, sleeker motif. As such, the differentiation between two Protoss is much more subtle (and that's why they look "samey"). A lot of the old Protoss portraits look more humanoid (I still can't see Aldaris as having anything other than lips and a cleft chin, or Fenix having coral sticking out of his jaw). I'm sure they had all kinds of conversations on the art team about where to apply consistency between SC1 and SC2 and where not to. I'm sure if the Protoss looked completely different in SC:R from SC2, they'd have to field a lot of questions. It is jarring, though.
Why don't they just do a SC1-themed updated portrait pack, and sell it separately so everyone is satisfied? If not, they should at least give us the original/remastered portrait toggle option.
You can always hope for a modding scene to step in and everyone will be having units portraits of there choise, and nobody will be using the official :P I guess there would be even a set that changes Khalai Protoss eyes to blue and Nerazim Protoss eyes to green. Why not?
07/31/2017 02:47 PMPosted by Orcsbreath
I'm confused by the Adjutant. I always thought she was an actual human (or at least human head) who had been built into a computer, but in the new portrait she looks entirely mechanical.

And I thought I was the only one...
Thank you OP, your post was a very enjoyable read. I absolutely agree with what I extracted as your two main criticisms, the color palette/lighting was taken in the wrong direction and the Starcraft-Two-ification of our beloved SC1 are a painful pill to swallow. I think the Starcraft-Two-ification is most grievous in the protoss portraits. Protoss use to have this scaly/bumpy skin which I liked a lot, because it conveyed age, the smooth looking faces all look similar (i'm not racist or protosstisit?). I think that's why they added all the Bling-Bling to the protoss, because otherwise we wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

I personally felt like the original portraits had a theme to them. When I looked at them I felt like I was in some cold place in outerspace with all these strange eyes looking at you. The change in color palette/lighting of these new portraits really took away that feeling. Of course it might just be nostalgia talking.

Despite all this, I can't say I hate the new portraits of them, since most of them are good and a few are even great! It's just missing a little something-something.

EXCEPT FOR ALDARIS, Aldaris looks like garbage.
08/04/2017 04:29 PMPosted by Ire
Thank you OP, your post was a very enjoyable read. I absolutely agree with what I extracted as your two main criticisms, the color palette/lighting was taken in the wrong direction and the Starcraft-Two-ification of our beloved SC1 are a painful pill to swallow. I think the Starcraft-Two-ification is most grievous in the protoss portraits. Protoss use to have this scaly/bumpy skin which I liked a lot, because it conveyed age, the smooth looking faces all look similar (i'm not racist or protosstisit?). I think that's why they added all the Bling-Bling to the protoss, because otherwise we wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

I personally felt like the original portraits had a theme to them. When I looked at them I felt like I was in some cold place in outerspace with all these strange eyes looking at you. The change in color palette/lighting of these new portraits really took away that feeling. Of course it might just be nostalgia talking.

Despite all this, I can't say I hate the new portraits of them, since most of them are good and a few are even great! It's just missing a little something-something.

EXCEPT FOR ALDARIS, Aldaris looks like garbage.

Agree with everything said
I don't like the siege tank drivers beard and moustache. It does not look like the original. I wish Blizzard should removed it.

they can just make him clean shaved.
08/05/2017 05:53 AMPosted by Tavus
I don't like the siege tank drivers beard and moustache. It does not look like the original. I wish Blizzard should removed it.
they can just make him clean shaved.

I can't stand the Vulture. From biker to neckbeard, it seems the Blizzard artist can't tell the difference. And why did the firebat gain weight? I could swear in SC1 he had Arnold's face. Most of them probably never even played SC1. Such a shame.
Just logged in to agree with nearly all of OP's analyses of the portraits, and I wish, hopefully, that Blizzard would take note of this.

If only all of the interpretations fell in line with the style of the newer Admiral Dugalle and Edmund Duke's portraits, the Remaster would have been flawless in terms of its "remaster," without altering the essences of what made the SC1 portraits so unique.

The generic protoss feel is really hard-hitting for me as well and is quite disappointing to say the least. It seemed to me that all of SC1's Protoss had unique facial features as well as varying skin textures that really spoke about their characters. Artanis, for example, seemed to have the smoothest skin, whereas Fenix had spotted looking skin, etc. Not sure if it was simply the rendering style that produced such varying looks, but they did have interesting and unique features that made them distinct and in character. But now, all the Protoss look generic and angry--and im just giggling to myself at this thought--like, oh why, really...

Goliath definitely looked like wearing a yellow cap, but I, too, don't mind too much about that.

The adjutant, I agree, did seem to me a human, a cyborg, and much less a fully animated robot with a human mask-like face.

Raynor and Kerrigan definitely look too different.

Not going to go through them one by one because OP I think listed them thoroughly enough (as well as some of the other responses here by other users) and the analyses are sufficient to sum up my thoughts.