Staredit for Remastered on Mac

General Discussion
Staredit seems to be missing. Talked to someone from Blizzard who said it should be there in the Starcraft folder, but it's not. Searching the folder revealed a Staredit help buried under location, but that was all. Read somewhere that there would be a patch after the release, but there is so much misinformation that I'm posting this to see if anyone HAS a map editor included with the remastered version.
08/15/2017 09:47 AMPosted by Blacknight
Staredit seems to be missing. Talked to someone from Blizzard who said it should be there in the Starcraft folder, but it's not. Searching the folder revealed a Staredit help buried under location, but that was all. Read somewhere that there would be a patch after the release, but there is so much misinformation that I'm posting this to see if anyone HAS a map editor included with the remastered version.

I did not have this problem. I see it fine, already developing a custom scenario :) Try to run it via the launcher, you will see a green button on the right from "redeem a code"

Hope this helps you
08/15/2017 10:15 AMPosted by Slabi
08/15/2017 09:47 AMPosted by Blacknight

I did not have this problem. I see it fine, already developing a custom scenario :) Try to run it via the launcher, you will see a green button on the right from "redeem a code"

Hope this helps you

I see no green button on the right. perhaps that's my issue
He may have meant the PC launcher, I'm honestly not sure if staredit was ever ported to mac OS X / x86 CPUs.
I'm gonna be super bummed if the map editor is not available for mac...

If that's the case, BLIZZARD PLEASE MAKE IT WORK.
yep no map editor for mac
A brief history of Apple breaking Starcraft:
  • The Mac map editor, like the Starcraft game client itself, was originally created for Classic Mac OS on PowerPC.
  • When Apple transitioned to Mac OS X, Blizzard created a "Carbonized" version of the game client that ran natively under it. They didn't update StarEdit, though, which could only be run in the "Classic" virtualized environment (if you had it installed). The last version of OS X that could run Classic was 10.4, released in 2005 (and only the PowerPC version, obviously).
  • Apple switched to Intel processors. Starcraft still ran under the "Rosetta" binary translation layer. The last version of OS X to have Rosetta was 10.6, back in 2009.
  • Starcraft stayed borked until this year when 1.18 came out and made it run natively on Intel Macs.
  • My guess is Apple will pull support for running 32-bit binaries next, boldly breaking Starcraft for a new generation of players.

Anyway, point is, StarEdit hasn't really run on Macs since OS 9, which is forever ago. I hope they port it, but I honestly doubt they'll bother. It's probably a pretty substantial job at this point, and Apple will just come up with some new way of breaking it in a year anyway.
Only solution, Wine, with a PC version of BroodWar, you launch BroodWar, and then you click on StarEdit.

It's a bit tricky, but if you have the PC version, you can make a wrapper.

SCM Draft is pure !@#$, SCX-Tra doesn't want to work with my wrapper.
Dude, seriously? I'll go buy a PC just so I can get StarEdit.