SCR - 4 fixes that would improve game quality

General Discussion
08/14/2017 03:33 PMPosted by FolX
08/14/2017 03:28 PMPosted by Fox

So you're saying SC2's very well done pathing/rally point improvements would be a bad thing in SC1? O.o

How new are you? I mean seriously you wandered in here to your first Brood War discussion like 10 minutes ago?

lol i bought the Original SC and Broodwar Expansion back when it was first released in 1997. Played SC2 and its expansions afterwards. I'm pretty old.
08/14/2017 03:33 PMPosted by iTax
MCV? I thought we were playing Starcraft, not Red Alert.

Oh good you were paying attention.
Lips desynch has been a thing forever.
Wrong forum.
08/14/2017 04:00 PMPosted by Fox
08/14/2017 03:33 PMPosted by FolX

How new are you? I mean seriously you wandered in here to your first Brood War discussion like 10 minutes ago?

lol i bought the Original SC and Broodwar Expansion back when it was first released in 1997. Played SC2 and its expansions afterwards. I'm pretty old.

Starcraft was released March 31, 1998 so unless you were a developer you have not been playing since 1997.
I can agree with the lipsyncing,but the other sections,what you're suggesting is equal to taking counterstrike and including a lock on autoaim system or taking physical health out of football in some way so the best strategy always wins,or giving every golfer a golfing machine so they'd swing perfectly every time.

BroodWar is not like other RTS games,as it puts emphasis on the "real time" factor of the game. There's allot of stamina required to outplay your opponent in some instances and you'll never play to maximum efficiency. Even the pros do things like forget to route workers or lose track of dropships,etc etc.
08/16/2017 01:19 PMPosted by xXTamagoXx
08/14/2017 04:00 PMPosted by Fox

Starcraft was released March 31, 1998 so unless you were a developer you have not been playing since 1997.

More than one person has claimed 1997 on this thread alone. Could "playing since 1997" be the SC example of the Mandela Effect?
you should rename the topic to "4 core gameplay changes that would make the game Not Brood War"

Lip sync was never a thing in SC - just check out the original. Unit portraits simply have a short "speaking" animation that kicks in every time the unit is supposed to be speaking, and the issue is non existent with protoss/zerg anyway.

As for the rest, everything in the game works the way it does, because that's the way it works in SC:BW, end of story. That's how the game is played. If your army is bigger than 12 units, and if you want it to move from point a to point b, you'll have to babysit it every step of the way. You also have to manually send your workers to mine, and all that. Get used to it, or find another game to play.
08/14/2017 03:27 PMPosted by Cam
I agree heavily with the first point, but not the last 3. Those gameplay "imperfections" are critical to SC1's balance.

So you're saying SC2's very well done pathing/rally point improvements would be a bad thing in SC1? O.o

Yes. You should watch StarCraft pro games to learn about all this.
08/14/2017 03:21 PMPosted by Fox
1) During mission briefings, character's lip sync animations are way out of sync with the voice over's speech.

They never had lip syncing even in the regular game.

2) Unit pathing needs fixing so that units don't trip over each other and double-back every time you try to march your squad down a ramp.

Leave

3) Would nice if we could select more units at once like in SC2 (those improvements were made for a reason boys) lets make SC:R as playable as it's sequel.

Go away.

4) Last but not least, allow players to set newly trained SCV's to automatically begin mining for crystals or vespene gas.

Go play SC2

You and I have very different definitions for "well done pathing"

I don't consider everything balling up into a tiny space as "well done"

08/14/2017 03:32 PMPosted by Fox
They did patch the original a couple of months ago. If they did fix pathing for the remaster, i'm sure they could apply the same changes to the original too.

That's actually the problem, we on't want that, the remaster already has a bunch of issues as it is, turning SC1 into a deathball fest would make me wish for an asteroid to exterminate all life on Earth.

08/14/2017 03:36 PMPosted by Koopa
guys even played the original game back in 98, when I see how they act in the forum.

No, I played in 2000 on the N64 then in 2003 on the PC, your point is moot, SC2's gameplay sucks.

It's not well done and is actually bad even in SC2.
The guy just seems misguided, so let's not be too harsh, everyone.
2) Unit pathing needs fixing so that units don't trip over each other and double-back every time you try to march your squad down a ramp.

3) Would nice if we could select more units at once like in SC2 (those improvements were made for a reason boys) lets make SC:R as playable as it's sequel.

In BW it's actually quite difficult to maneuver your army, and as such an attack with the same units can be more or less effective depending on the player (Free for instance is excellent at combat micro, to the detriment of Flash). Second, retreats will cause more harm as you can't M-move your army away in one click. This increases the risk of a full engagement, as such small scale combats across the map and harassment are encouraged.

In contrast, SC2's pathfinding leads to deathballs, and the lack of high ground advantage means that most games are a simple question of who built the biggest deathball. In BW a smaller force controlled well or on high ground could defeat a much larger force.

4) Last but not least, allow players to set newly trained SCV's to automatically begin mining for crystals or vespene gas.

BW is a game about performing seemingly infinite duties. Most people can't, so even if you lose an engagement because your opponent controlled his/her units better, odds are that he/she didn't assign workers- effectively giving you a chance for a comeback.

BW isn't an easy game to learn. But all of those 'imperfections' also allow each player and game to have a unique identity. Some players excel at multitasking, some do macro well, and others masterfully control their units. This is a direct result of what you may consider to be archaic features.

Anyways, here's hoping you'll improve and enjoy the game for what it is.
08/16/2017 06:28 PMPosted by MyKoreanness
BW is a game about performing seemingly infinite duties. Most people can't, so even if you lose an engagement because your opponent controlled his/her units better, odds are that he/she didn't assign workers- effectively giving you a chance for a comeback.

A little bit more on this:

Every single possible thing that you could !@#$ up, your opponent could very well also %^-* up. Every. Single. Thing. Even at the pro level, they're constantly making !@#$ ups. Even JD, Flash, Bisu, etc. Even THEY make mistakes *constantly*. Just because you make a mistake that you think could have been avoided if only the game had "better mechanics" doesn't mean your opponent isn't making the same mistakes. You don't have to play this game perfectly. You just play it at your level and the game will match you (Or at least attempt to anyway) at that level.