WE NEED pillarbox removal option non hd!!!

General Discussion
Please let us get rid of the damn pillarbox when we switch to classic graphics.

Now I HAVE TO GO DIG UP my cd version of the game to play it old school fullscreen... cmon blizzard wtf.

I love the update and everything looks amazing so great job... but I know im still going to go back and play 50% of my time spent in original graphics mode because of nostalgia and thats what we grew up with and loving it.
if you are playing the CD version (1.16.1 or lower I guess) in fullscreen, you are just stretching it and making your units look too fat. Also the cursor will move farther horizontally than it would vertically when the mouse moves the same distance. Stretching it doesn't make it widescreen
The HUD in the original version can't support a wider resolution than 4:3, so I doubt very much that will change. Don't think there's much they can do about it anyway
08/15/2017 09:16 PMPosted by NDR
The HUD in the original version can't support a wider resolution than 4:3, so I doubt very much that will change. Don't think there's much they can do about it anyway

I play the cd version and the hud is JUST fine.... and my screen and res are huge.
08/15/2017 09:08 PMPosted by MamiyaOtaru
if you are playing the CD version (1.16.1 or lower I guess) in fullscreen, you are just stretching it and making your units look too fat. Also the cursor will move farther horizontally than it would vertically when the mouse moves the same distance. Stretching it doesn't make it widescreen

Yes but ive been playing it on fullscreen for what... almost 20 years?

The point is, I had the OPTION to play it full screen a week ago and now I don't.. I have to play on this pillarbox garbage and if I am stuck with that I will probably go back to the old cd version.
Guy just wants to play 4:3 SD but without black borders which is stretched out. He's not talking about 16:9 for SD.
08/18/2017 04:01 PMPosted by CognacLover
Guy just wants to play 4:3 SD but without black borders which is stretched out. He's not talking about 16:9 for SD.

right I don't need things to be perfect res.. just no black borders please.. and that is completely achievable if I put the cd disk in... nad its not in the remastered version... thats just dumb.
I heard there was an announcement about patch notes on youtube or something but I can't find it... does anyone know if this issue was addressed on that video?
WE need cookies. That's all WE really need.
YOU on the other hand want something.

well... seeing the "addition" the HD hud recieved to support 16:9 it doesn't look like an impossible task to make the SD-graphics support 16:9 aswell.
This is the problem with updating an old program like Starcraft: people will vociferously complain when you fix something (such as previous versions of Starcraft stretching the video instead of maintaining the proper aspect ratio).
F5 must show the game as it was when it was released in 1998. That is 640x480 resolution, which means 4:3 aspect ratio. On a widescreen display, there has to be a pillarbox!
I hope you realise that THIS is a proper fullscreen: http://i.imgur.com/bgrbL3h.png
And THIS is not a proper fullscreen: http://i.imgur.com/dMcDx7y.png

I have used HD version because it can display both 16:9 and 4:3, but SD version DOES NOT provide 16:9 and previously it was just scretching the 4:3 screen, not applying a 16:9 fullscreen.

Also, stop calling pillarboxing and letterboxing "garbage". This is the only proper way to display movies, cinematics and games in ratio different than your monitor ratio. If you really hate black bars, then buy yourself a 1024x768 monitor for StarCraft and stop crying, because scretching a 4:3 into 16:9 screen to fill it entirely is just a lunacy.
08/18/2017 03:26 PMPosted by Gwydion

I play the cd version and the hud is JUST fine.... and my screen and res are huge.

no nothing is fine there it was just streching because of monitor or graphic card is to stupid/bad to detect its a 4*3 game, normaly it should have shown u the black bars

so WE want nothing, U want that bug in ur graphiccard continue ... its the same when u watch old series on TV in 16*9 it just stretches ... so no it will never come and u cant have it because expect some maniacs no one wants that
08/28/2017 12:30 AMPosted by Drake
08/18/2017 03:26 PMPosted by Gwydion

no nothing is fine there it was just streching because of monitor or graphic card is to stupid/bad to detect its a 4*3 game, normaly it should have shown u the black bars

so WE want nothing, U want that bug in ur graphiccard continue ... its the same when u watch old series on TV in 16*9 it just stretches ... so no it will never come and u cant have it because expect some maniacs no one wants that

There's some players who like to play like that though, there's some who play CSGO at 4:3 stretched because they just find it "better", it's all about preference and Remaster should be about giving more options for all kinds of players.
08/28/2017 02:27 AMPosted by GayVulture
<span class="truncated">...</span>

There's some players who like to play like that though, there's some who play CSGO at 4:3 stretched because they just find it "better", it's all about preference and Remaster should be about giving more options for all kinds of players.

They don't find it better, they play it in 4:3 (or 5:4 even) because it makes head hitboxes larger and wider, so they feel it's easier for them to aim and shoot.
StarCraft is not an FPS however and there is no need to aim, and playing it stretched seriously harms your mouse sensitivity, so what's the point even? There are no benefits in playing StarCraft 4:3 scretched, only drawbacks and problems of "being used to", or "omg black bars I hate them".
And why shouldn't personal preference matter? People that played stretched resolution, should be able to play it, if they wish to. Could implement a feature which disallows you to switch to the new graphics and disabling F5. Why would it bother you, if you aren't forced to use it?

BTW in CSGO 4:3 stretched doesn't make it feel "easier" to aim (you really think this would be a thing in a competetive game?), it is ALSO just for the people that are used to play like this. Personal preference, just like in this game.
08/28/2017 02:53 AMPosted by chrisolo
And why shouldn't personal preference matter? People that played stretched resolution, should be able to play it, if they wish to. Could implement a feature which disallows you to switch to the new graphics and disabling F5. Why would it bother you, if you aren't forced to use it?

BTW in CSGO 4:3 stretched doesn't make it feel "easier" to aim (you really think this would be a thing in a competetive game?), it is ALSO just for the people that are used to play like this. Personal preference, just like in this game.

Exactly... I know it was stretched to fit my screen fully... and that it wasn't in its "true" aspect ratio.... thats fine... I like that, player preference should be important.

Get off your soap boxes fanboys, I love this game too, obviously im not saying what I want should be forced on anyone, I just want the option to disable pillarbox in "oldschool" mode JUST LIKE HOW its enabled on the "new and improved" graphics option menu.

It's not that hard to understand... have more options for player preference dones't hurt anyone at all because they are toggle-able options. So everyone can have what they want and EVERYONE is happy.

Sheez some of this community is so unpleasant its almost toxic.
you can turn your res to 640x800 if you want the black bars removed. Also, !@#$ blizzard for not implementing pillarbox in the SD StarCraft!!!

They could just add bookends like they did for WC3. They already have the technology for Bookends in SCR, so they'd just need to make graphics for it for BW which would be easy (they could just do it the same way they did for WC3).